Leader of Derivatives & Structured Products
Edmund "Ed" Parker
CDOs and CLOs, Derivatives, Emerging Markets
Edmund "Ed" Parker covers all aspects of derivatives at the highest levels. He has been nominated as Global Derivatives Lawyer of the Year, a reflection of his technical excellence in this field.
He is a trusted thought leader for both clients and the profession, writing extensively on derivatives matters. Under his stewardship, the team was declared Global Law Firm of the Year – Overall at the GlobalCapital Derivatives Awards. The practice was previously declared European Law Firm of the Year – Transaction; and Americas Law Firm of the Year – Overall. The practice was also commended in the “Complexity and Scale” category of the FT Innovative Lawyers Report: Europe.
EMIR & Global Margin: IM & VM Experience
- Representing one of the leading custodians and derivatives collateral managers, advising on compliance with the European and US regulations on margining of uncleared derivatives, providing expert guidance and project management to our client on all of the issues it encounters throughout Phase Three, and also Phases Four and Five of the Initial Margin process. This work includes the preparation of master templates; drafting the playbook; and advising on the associated outreach and account control agreement negotiation processes. The work also included drafting opinions relied on by the market.
- Representing one of the leading custodians and collateral managers, with respect to its Brexit planning strategy relating to the bank’s triparty collateral segregation business, to ensure that the client can provide its services following departure of the UK from the European Union.
- Advising the global Zurich group in respect of its compliance with the new obligations under the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR), clearing documentation, risk mitigation obligations, and any inter-group exemptions and new margin requirements.
- Assisted BT Pension Scheme, one of the largest UK pension schemes, with the implementation of the new margin rules under EMIR. This included advising the client on the possible approaches to compliance and negotiating all relevant documentation on their behalf with a with a number of market counterparties.
- Advising a Phase I Canadian dealer on its compliance with the US and European regulations on margining of uncleared derivatives. The Phase 1 dealer was required by US, Canadian and EU rules to have compliant documentation for posting/receiving initial margin with all other ‘Phase 1’ dealers and variation margin with all other financial entities by the 1 Sept 2016 and 1 March 2017 regulatory deadlines respectively.
Consistently ranked as a key or leading individual by the legal directories
- Band 2: Derivatives. Edmund Parker is global head of Mayer Brown's derivatives and structured products team. He is notable for his work on international deal structuring. He is also widely experienced in derivatives regulations, with particular capabilities in initial margin loan regulations. "Edmund is a reliable commodity in the derivatives space." "Edmund has seen it all and is very knowledgeable." Chambers UK
- Listed in the Hall of Fame for Derivatives and Structured Products. Legal 500
- Band 3: Capital Markets. Edmund Parker is global co-head of Mayer Brown's derivatives and structured products team. He is notable for his work on international deal structuring. He is also widely experienced in derivatives regulations, with particular capabilities in initial margin loan regulations. Chambers UK
- "Ed Parker is a really lovely chap – not only is he an expert in his field, he is a good listener, he is practical and he is prepared to roll up his sleeves and get into the nitty gritty." "Ed Parker is absolutely brilliant – for a senior partner he always responds calls immediately and he is pragmatic." "Ed Parker seems to always be available to provide great advice. His books on derivatives are a must read!" Legal 500
- The College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course
- Queen Mary, University of London, LLM, International Business Law
- Dundee University, LLB, (Hons)
- England und Wales
- Assistant to the Court of the Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
- Granted the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
- Granted the Freedom of the City of London
- Member of PLC Finance (Practical Law Company) consultation board. Practical Law Company (PLC) is the leading provider of legal know-how, transactional analysis and market intelligence for lawyers. The consultation board comprises leading experts in Finance and related areas. They help to shape the service and are consulted on complex areas of law and emerging practice. Visit: http://finance.practicallaw.com/6-201-8986