B. Clayton McCraw
Intellectual Property, Trial Proceedings Before the PTAB, Intellectual Property Counseling & Prosecution
B. Clayton McCraw is a partner in Mayer Brown's New York office and is a member of the Intellectual Property practice. He is a registered patent attorney who focuses primarily on district court patent litigation, Patent Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, and International Trade Commission proceedings. Clayton represents clients in all phases of patent litigation from pre-filing investigations through trial, including jury trials, bench trials, and PTAB oral hearings.
Clayton's practice also includes patent prosecution, licensing, due diligence, and strategic patent portfolio assessment. He has worked with numerous U.S. and international companies to pursue important patent applications ranging from mobile device applications, medical implants, and automated manufacturing technologies. Clayton also has extensive experience providing clients with intellectual property opinions, including freedom-to-operate, infringement, and invalidity opinions. Clayton serves as IP deal counsel in corporate transactions.
- Galderma Laboratories LP v. Medinter US LLC, et al., Case No. 1:18-cv-01892-CFC (J. Connolly). Representing Galderma in patent infringement litigation enforcing two patents directed to dermal implant medical devices.
- Giesecke + Devrient v. United States, Case No. (COFC) (J. Williams). Representing Third-Party Defendant Gemalto, Inc. against allegations of patent infringement related to contactless communication and reader technologies for electronic passports (ePassports).
- Nespresso USA, Inc. v. Ethical Coffee Company SA, Case No. 1:16-cv-00194-GMS (D. Del.) (J. Connolly). Represented Nespresso USA and Nestlé Nespresso SA in a declaratory judgment action against competitor’s patent infringement and antitrust counterclaims accusing the design of Nespresso’s single-serve coffee and espresso brewing devices. Obtained dismissal with prejudice on all counterclaims, with Nespresso deemed the prevailing party.
- University of Virginia School of Law, JD
Executive Editor, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology
- University of Virginia, BSME
Pi Tau Sigma, National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
- New York
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US Patent and Trademark Office