"Responsive, timely and professional - he was able to answer all of our questions."Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
Matthew McConkey is a partner at Mayer Brown. He advises clients on a wide range of international trade matters, with particular emphasis on antidumping, anti-subsidy (CVD) and general international trade and import issues. In antidumping and CVD matters, he defends producers and importers against US, EU, Chinese, and Vietnamese unfair trade allegations. Matthew has extensive experience in assisting companies that export from non-market economy countries with respect to the selection of surrogate values and maximizing the impact of various distribution systems on dumping findings.
Regarding customs matters, Matthew has broad range of knowledge on all aspects of the US and Chinese import process, including tariff classification, valuation, country of origin determinations, effective use of tariff elimination or reduction programs, and resolution disputes arising from Customs decisions.
Matthew enjoys a good reputation for his work, sources highlight his “deep understanding of the law and accurate solutions to problems” – Chambers Asia. He is proud to have been recognized by Chambers Global 2021 and Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021 for his foreign experience in the Asia-Pacific Region, specifically, China and Vietnam. Matthew has been asked on many occasions for an interview for his knowledge on matters regarding international trade, customs and antidumping. He is regularly interviewed by both international and local media; including the Chicago Tribune, China Daily, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg's, International Herald Tribune, China Economic Review and Caijing Magazine. Furthermore, he has also appeared on television regarding "Solutions to China-US Trade Surplus." Matthew is a frequent speaker in seminars and conferences, as well as having published many articles.
Matthew is a frequent speaker in seminars and conferences, as well as having published many articles. He is a member of Law 360’s International Trade Editorial Advisory Board.
Defended publicly listed Chinese producer of lightweight thermal paper against companion antidumping and countervailing duty investigations filed by US producer of lightweight thermal paper
Represented entire Chinese candle industry in two US anticircumvention inquiries on Chinese palm wax candles
Represented one of Vietnam's largest catfish processors in US antidumping administrative review and obtained lowest antidumping margin in the case, which lasted for several years, providing the client with a significant competitive advantage in the marketplace
Hired by Thai producers of pet resin to rebut US challenge to duty-free (GSP) treatment of product
Assisted large American paper company in Chinese antidumping investigation against imported kraft linerboard. Also assisted client in successfully resolving numerous disputes arising from the Chinese government's interpretation of the results of that investigation
Represented Indonesian paper company in challenging claims that it was circumventing the US antidumping order against tissue paper from China
Advised one of China's largest sock manufacturers on how to comply with rules, regulations and policies of US customs, and how to prepare in advance for US and EU trade disputes against Chinese socks
Aided a US software company in determining the correct dutiable amount of certain hardware products containing software, for use in China, for which a royalty was paid out of China by other parties
American University Washington College of Law, JD, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, BA
- District of Columbia
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member, Law 360’s International Trade Editorial Advisory Board
- Foreign Expertise in Vietnam, International Trade – Chambers Global (2013-2021)
- Leading Individual – Asia-Pacific Region, International Trade/WTO – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2021)
- Expertise Based Abroad in China (International Firms), International Trade/WTO – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013-2021)
- Band 1 – Vietnam (Experts Based Abroad), International Trade – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013-2017)
- Leading Individual – China (International Firms), International Trade/WTO – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013-2017)
- "A key name" – Legal 500 (2015)
- "Among the best for customs law," Mayer Brown provides "service of the highest level in all aspects." – Legal 500 (2015)
- "he knows the Chinese market extremely well, and provides cost-effective advice." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)