‘To the point and practical commercial legal advice & assistance’Legal 500 (2020)
Admitted to the Paris Bar, Alban Dorin is a partner in the Banking & Finance and Global Projects practices of the Paris office.
Alban regularly advises on international asset and project finance transactions.
He has advised clients on financing transactions in most of the Francophone African jurisdictions (OHADA) and his experience extends to advising on all types of major projects related to Africa. He also represents arranging banks, investment funds and sponsors in structured finance (such as trade receivables securitizations and asset-based lending) and complex aircraft financing transactions.
Alban Dorin is continually recommended and ranked by legal directories and has in particular been singled out in 2019 and 2020 as a “Next Generation Partner” for Banking and Finance in the Legal 500 (EMEA) directory and is quoted as 'very knowledgeable' and 'familiar with Francophone Africa laws and regulations’ (Legal 500).
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Alban practiced at another major law firm and has spent some time on secondment to the structured finance department of a leading bank.
In addition to his native French, Alban is fluent in English.
- Advised HSBC in the provision of its pan-European trade receivables financing facility to the global Garden Products Italy Group.
- Advised Digicel in connection with the sale to Phoenix Tower International (PTI) of 215 telecom towers situated in the French Caribbean and Guyana.
- Advised Toro Gold with regard to financing project capital costs incurred in the construction and commissioning of the Mako Gold Project (Senegal) and project operating costs.
- Advised the lenders with regard to the refinancing of the Endeavour group, in Mali, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast.
- Advised Digicel on the sale of 215 communication towers to Phoenix Tower International.
- Advised Société Générale Corporate & Investment Banking and BNP Paribas on the financing granted to Roxgold Inc for the Yaramoko Gold project in Burkina Faso, West Africa ($75 M). This deal was awarded “Deal of the Year” 2015 (Africa – Mining and Metals) by the IJGlobal Awards 2015.
- Advised lenders on the acquisition of one of the main banks in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Advised Helios Towers Africa on the financing of telecommunications towers in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Chad and Congo Brazzaville.
- Advised UniCredit Bank AG, Société Générale, BNP Paribas, ING Bank N.V. and Deutsche Bank AG on the refinancing of a $350 M revolving credit granted to Endeavour Mining Corporation. This deal has been awarded the “African Mining Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine.
Master of Science in Management
Master of Public Affairs and Economics
University Panthéon-Assas (Paris)
Master in Public and Administrative Law
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual :
- Alban Dorin has been ranked in the “Next Generation Partners” category (for the third time in a row) by Legal 500 EMEA (2021) in Banking and Finance: transactional work.
“Also key is project finance, for which Alban Dorin is highly regarded”
- Alban Dorin has also been ranked in the “Next Generation Partners” category. Legal 500 EMEA (2021) (Mining, Oil And Gas And Natural Resources)
- The following quote is extracted from Legal 500 EMEA (2021) (Project Finance):
‘Mayer Brown, and in particular the project finance team led by Alban Dorin, francophone African financing transactions particularly well. One of the key strengths is the availability of the team, which is easy to work with and provides straight to the point advice. Compared to other firms, the firm is more agile.’
‘I would recommend Alban Dorin at Mayer Brown who stands out in particular for project finance transactions in the OHADA region. He combines excellent technical skills with a good understanding of the economics of the transaction.’
- Alban Dorin has been ranked in the “Next Generation Partners” category. Legal 500 EMEA (2020) (Banking and Finance).
- Alban Dorin is “highly recommended” by Legal 500 EMEA (2020) (Banking and Finance)
- Legal 500 EMEA (2020) (Aviation Finance) specifies that he provides ‘To the point and practical commercial legal advice & assistance’
- IFLR 1000 2020 has recognized Alban Dorin as “highly regarded” in Banking and Project Finance.
- The Pan-African weekly news magazine, Jeune Afrique, ranked Alban Dorin among the top 100 business lawyers for 2019.
- “Alban Dorin is 'very knowledgeable' and 'familiar with Francophone Africa laws and regulations’.” Legal 500 EMEA (2019).
- “Alban Dorin has a focus on work involving the mining sector.“ Legal 500 EMEA (2019).
- Alban Dorin has been ranked in the “Next generation lawyers” category. Legal 500 EMEA (2019).
- The new edition of Décideurs, a French media and rating agency for top executives has recognized Alban Dorin as "excellent" in Banking & Finance; Africa Desk - Corporate / M&A; Africa Desk - Natural Resources and Renewable Energies and "highly recommended" in Bank Financing - Aerial Asset Financing and Africa Desk - Project Financing. (2018)
- Décideurs, a French media and rating agency for top executives has recognized Alban Dorin as "excellent" in Project Finance. (2016)
- Alban Dorin worked on the Yaramoko Gold transaction recognized as "Deal of the Year" at the IJGlobal Awards. (2015)
- The 2015 edition of Décideurs, a french media and rating agency for top executives has recognized Alban Dorin as "excellent" in Project Finance. (2015)