"He is good in consultative work and in disputes too. He has a combative posture - a strong fighter.", "Luiz Gustavo combines high technical capacity with a strategic vision, while consistently meeting the client's commercial needs."Chambers Brazil, ed. 2022
Luiz Gustavo Bezerra is a partner in the practice of Environmental and Climate Change at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in Brazil, with relevant experience in litigation, consulting and transactional (M&A) matters. Besides Brazil, he is also qualified to practice law in Europe and a specialist in International and EU Environmental Law. He has more than 20 years’ experience advising clients in the infrastructure, energy, chemical, mining, real estate, forest, agribusiness and food industry clients. Luiz has a successful track record in court and administrative environmental proceedings, representing major Brazilian and multinational groups in complex environmental litigation, as well as in negotiations (and other alternative dispute resolution methods) with governmental authorities, public prosecutors and other stakeholders. He has approximately two decades of experience advising clients in complex environmental licensing matters with wide experience in Corporate Law. He counsels major Brazilian and multinational groups in a vast range of environmental related matters, including crisis management, climate change, sustainability, corporate environmental and social responsibility, ESG, indigenous communities, waste laws and circular economy arrangements, water laws, biodiversity, environmental offsets, law and economics and carbon markets. In addition to his role as a Professor of Environmental Law and International Environmental Law at CEPED and at the Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro School of Law, he also lectured at Fundação Getulio Vargas, EMERJ and IBMEC. Luiz is the Chair of the Brazilian Energy Law Institute (IBDE) Environment Committee and also coordinates IBDE’s Climate Change Law Course. He is also Chair of the Environmental Licensing Committee at the Brazilian American Chamber (AMCHAM) and a member of LACLIMA’s Climate Change Litigation and Carbon Market Groups and LAB’s (a Brazilian Exchange Commission – CVM – Initiative) ESG Group.
8. – 10. November2022
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro – UERJ, Law School
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Postgraduate studies in Brazilian Environmental Law
University College London, LLM, Master in Environmental Law
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, PhD, PPGMA-UERJ
- "He is good in consultative work and in disputes too. He has a combative posture - a strong fighter.", "Luiz Gustavo combines high technical capacity with a strategic vision, while consistently meeting the client's commercial needs." Other client comments "Luiz stands out for his in-depth knowledge and ability to deal with big companies.". – Chambers Brazil, ed. 2022.
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners Brazil as Band 2 in ESG.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 2023 as Leading Individuals in Environment.
- Recognized by Análise Advocacia since 2010 in Environment.
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners Brazil 2021 as Band 3 in Environment.
- Recognized by Chambers & Parters Latin America since 2010 in Environment.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 since 2011 in Environment.
- Recognized by WWL - Environment: Environment since 2010.
- Recognized by WWL Brazil since 2018 in Environment