Maria Alevras-Chen is a corporate finance partner in the Banking & Finance, Global Projects, and Latin America & Caribbean groups. She focuses on complex international and domestic financings, including bond and equity issuances, leveraged finance, project finance and structured finance. Maria also has experience with real estate fund formation and restructurings.
Maria represents lenders (whether they be financial institutions, private equity funds, multilateral agencies or export credit agencies) in various deal roles, such as arranger, administrative agent, underwriter and/or placement agent as well as borrowers.
Maria's practice focuses on Latin America, including transactions in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, Panama and Uruguay. Maria has also structured and executed transactions in several other emerging markets jurisdictions including Russia, Turkey, Indonesia and Zimbabwe during her time at Mayer Brown.
Maria developed her business acumen as internal counsel for ED&F Man Capital Markets. Her experience, directing the activities of outside counsel and participating in business decision making, give her a valuable and unique perspective. She is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and Greek and proficient in Mandarin Chinese.
- Represented a global financial institution as agent and lender in a complex cross border restructuring of a US$105 million export receivable financing involving Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands.
- Represented a global financial institution as agent and lender in restructuring of a US$65 million export receivable financing in Peru.
- Represented the Lead Arrangers in a US$90 million financing of electric transmission lines in Peru.
- Represented the court-appointed receiver in connection with the marshalling and sale of Mexican and Panamanian assets valued at approximately US$500 million.
- Represented multilateral, bilateral and commercial lenders in a US$137 million financing of port terminal in Brazil.
- Represented the underwriter in a US$500 million securitization of diversified payment rights for Banco de Credito del Peru.
- Represented an international real estate investment trust in a $3 billion global credit facility involving multi-currency loans in the US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Korea and China.
- Represented a leading multinational lender and major commercial bank in connection with the approximately US$500 million financing of a semi-submersible drilling vessel to be operated under charter in Brazil.
Notre Dame Law School, JD, magna cum laude
Instituto Brasil Estados Unidos, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
University of Notre Dame, MA, summa cum laude
University of Notre Dame, BA, magna cum laude
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Chile
- New York