Litigation & Dispute Resolution, International Arbitration, Projects & Infrastructure
“His input and advice have been crucial. He appreciates the subtle legal and contractual elements in a complex, multi-jurisdictional arbitration.”
Chambers UK, Associate to Watch
Jawad Ahmad is a partner in the London office of Mayer Brown's International Arbitration practice.
He focuses on international commercial and investment treaty arbitration and public international law. Jawad has acted as counsel for claimants, respondents, and tribunal assistant in both commercial and investment treaty arbitrations across a wide-range of industries, including energy and resources, renewable, oil & gas, nuclear power, mining, finance, hospitality and leisure, and retail. He has handled arbitrations under the ICSID, SIAC, ICC, LCIA, HKIAC, and UNCITRAL arbitration rules. Jawad regularly publishes on investment treaty and commercial arbitrations and public international law, having to date published over a dozen articles. He has presented at conferences and universities, such as, Harvard Law School, UC Berkeley School of Law, University of Chicago Law School, George Washington University Law School, and Kings College London. He has acted as an Observer on behalf of the American Society of International Law to the UNCITRAL Working Group II (Arbitration & Conciliation), mandated to consider the issue of enforcement of international settlement agreements resulting from conciliation proceedings. He was one of the four selected to present at the "New Voices" Panel at the 24th International Council for Commercial Arbitration Congress in Sydney, Australia in April 2018.
Represented a wide range of corporate and commercial and State clients in arbitral proceedings and arbitration-related litigation, including:
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited & others v. European Union, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/23/1 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Additional Facility Rules.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited, Klesch Refining Denmark A/S and Kalundborg Refinery A/S v. Kingdom of Denmark, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/48 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited and Raffinerie Heide GmbH v. Federal Republic of Germany, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/49 - Klesch Group - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- A state-owned entity in the power sector in a commercial arbitration under the LCIA Arbitration Rules (London seat) with respect to a dispute arising out of a power purchase agreement.
- Listed as an Associate to watch, Jawad Ahmad is a senior associate with a broad practice which spans commercial and investment treaty arbitrations. He is also adept at handling enforcement proceedings. “He is an investment arbitration specialist. He is a pleasure to work with and he is second to none when it comes to handling clients. He is a real tactician and he knows all the rules inside out.” “His input and advice have been crucial. He appreciates the subtle legal and contractual elements in a complex, multi-jurisdictional arbitration.” “Jawad is a superb technical lawyer with real insight into the relationship between public international law and international arbitration. He is a superb leader.” “Jawad is a real live wire. He is very creative and doesn’t waste time.” "Jawad is an outstanding tactical thinker and client manager." "He's a superstar associate with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the field." - Chambers UK.
- Listed as a Rising star and key lawyer for International Arbitration, "Jawad Ahmad is up and coming, and has deep arbitration knowledge." "Senior associate Jawad Ahmad is a go-getter that nurtures relationships in this field. This serves him (and his clients) well, given how important individual personalities and track records can be among arbitrators and international arbitration practitioners." - Legal 500
- Jawad Ahmad stands out in the international marketplace as “an excellent strategist with an eye for detail” and is known for his “thoroughness, diligence, and passion for every case”. Arbitration Future Leaders WWL.
- Listed on Private Practice Powerlist 2022 | Arbitration - UK Region by Legal 500.
- Jawad Ahmad is “a very well-connected lawyer” who is “brimming with knowledge and passion”. He is hailed as “a leading voice in international arbitration” by peers - Who's Who Legal.
- Listed as a Future Leader in Arbitration 2021 and 2022 – Future Leaders – Non-Partners - Who's Who Legal.
- University of Kent, LLB, First Class Honors
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, LLM
- New York
- Young ICCA
- ICC YAF
- Young SIAC
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group