Co-leader International Arbitration, leader of London office International Arbitration
International Arbitration, Africa, Middle East
"He is very good on negotiations, extremely commercial and very good at providing clients with practical and strategic advice." "He's a star in the area of international arbitration."
Raid Abu-Manneh concentrates his practice on complex cross border disputes particularly in emerging markets.
Raid is a solicitor advocate, and has substantial experience of all forms of arbitrations, and has acted on ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, DIAC, SIAC, AAD, CRCICA and LCIA arbitrations in the world’s leading seats including London, Paris, Geneva, Singapore, New York, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Miami. Raid also acts on matters before the High Court including in relation to the enforcement of International Arbitration awards. Raid regularly sits as an arbitrator, including on complex infrastructure projects.
Recent experience in investor/State disputes
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited & others v. European Union, ICSID Case ARB(AF)/23/1 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Additional Facility Rules.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited, Klesch Refining Denmark A/S and Kalundborg Refinery A/S v. Kingdom of Denmark, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/48 - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- Klesch Group Holdings Limited and Raffinerie Heide GmbH v. Federal Republic of Germany, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/49 - Klesch Group - counsel to Claimants in an investment treaty arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty and the ICSID Convention.
- Advice to various investors and States on investment treaty matters in relation to disputes in various countries (Eastern-Europe, Asia, Middle-East, Latin-America) under various investment treaties, including bilateral investment treaties, the Energy Charter Treaty and the Investment Agreement of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation.
- Visor and Gökhan Arasli in an investment arbitration under the Turkey-Turkmenistan BIT and the ICSID Convention against Turkmenistan (ICSID Case ARB/21/20).
Consistently listed as a key or leading individual by the legal directories:
- Band 2 Construction: International Arbitration. Raid Abu-Manneh is global co-head of the international arbitration group and routinely represents clients in ICC arbitrations. He offers clients a wealth of experience handling complex cross-border disputes arising from significant energy and social infrastructure projects, including those involving emerging markets. "Raid brought a wealth of arbitral and commercial insights to the case and provided inputs that were highly effective." "Raid is an excellent and experienced arbitration specialist and he's a pleasure to work with." "He provides a global vision of the case and strategy." Chambers UK.
- Listed as a key lawyer for Construction and Emerging Markets and a Leading individual for International Arbitration, "Raid Abu-Manneh heads a well-respected team." "Raid Abu-Manneh makes a very good impression. Competent, helpful and dedicated." He is "a good leader – he is low-key and a good strategist, with a very good understanding of business and the construction industry." Legal 500.
- Queen Mary, University of London, LLB (Hons)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM, International Business Law
- SOAS, University of London, Comparative Arab Commercial Law
- England und Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Society of Construction Law
- Society of Construction Law-Gulf
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group