"a brilliant attorney"Legal 500 2018
Raid Abu-Manneh is a partner in the Construction & Engineering group, global co-head of the International Arbitration group and head of the International Arbitration group in London. He focuses on complex cross border disputes particularly in emerging markets.
Raid has extensive experience both domestically and internationally in advising various clients including banks, contractors, utilities and other clients in various industries including energy, rail and other infrastructure sectors.
Raid has substantial experience of all forms of arbitrations, adjudications and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. He has acted on ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC and LCIA arbitrations and on matters before the High Court including in relation to the enforcement of International Arbitration awards.
In respect to infrastructure projects, a significant part of Raid’s work involves advice on risk management during the course of the design and construction of a project with the objective of either avoiding a dispute or ensuring that the client is best placed in the event that a dispute does arise. This experience has encompassed various types of projects including PFI and projects involving international finance.
In the Middle East, Raid has advised on a substantial number of disputes particularly in infrastructure power and energy projects in such countries as Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. He has also advised on disputes in Egypt, Kuwait, Yemen and Libya. Raid studied comparative Arab commercial law and is a fluent Arabic speaker
Raid speaks regularly in international conferences and seminars on International Arbitration including the resolution of project disputes. He joined Mayer Brown in 2008 and also speaks conversational German.
- Acting on a dispute and arbitration in London between a Lebanese soft drinks company and a Syrian sugar manufacturer under the rules of the Refined Sugar association.
- Acting on a number of ICC arbitrations in connection with the design and Construction of the Panama Canal.
- Acting on ICSID arbitration for Kuwaiti investors against the Government of Jordan.
- Acting on an ICC arbitration in connection with a major infrastructure project in Qatar.
- Acting on an ICC arbitration in connection with the supply of equipment to an Indian corporation.
- Advising and acting on a major UNCITRAL arbitration relating to an LNG project in Qatar.
- Acted for a Contractor in an ICC Arbitration in Geneva in connection with the design and construction of a cargo centre in Heathrow.
- Advised a Middle Eastern government on substantial claims and arbitration on a large mixed used development.
- Advised the EPC contractor on various issues arising out of the design and construction of a large LNG project in the Middle East (subject to UNCITRAL arbitration in London), including advising on multimillion dollar contractual claims and entitlements for relief under local law and restructuring and settlement contracts.
- Acted for an employer in defending an UNCITRAL arbitration in Dubai commenced by the consultant in connection with large development in Iran.
- Acted for an English company in arbitration proceedings in Egypt under the rules of the Cairo Regional Arbitration Centre.
- Acted for contractor in an LCIA Arbitration in relation to a dispute with the employer in respect of a claim for delay and disruption involving a power station in Singapore.
- Acting on a number of arbitration in connection with a major infrastructure project in Bahrain.
- Acted for an EPC contractor in an arbitration in connection with the construction of a large power station in the UK.
- Acting on a number of enforcement proceedings of International Arbitration awards.
- Acted for an engineering company in multimillion proceedings arising from a major incident onboard an oil exploration rig off the coast of West Africa. The case settled after a 13 week trial in the High Court.
- Acting on court proceedings in the High Court in connection with the construction of a major power station.
- Acting on a major dispute arising on a letter of credit in the High Court.
- Acted for Pilkington in High Court proceedings relation to the supply of alleged defective glass.
- Acted for ALSTOM in High Court proceedings commenced by Virgin Trains in relation to alleged delays in the delivery of 53 tilting trains for the West Coast Main line.
- Acting on a dispute in connection with a major development in Oman.
Advisory and DAB proceedings
- Acting on a number of DAB proceedings in connection with the design and Construction of the Panama Canal.
- Acting on various DAB proceedings in connection with power station projects in Nigeria.
- Advised a large engineering company on various issues and claims amounting to over $150 million in connection with the design and construction of an IPWP project in the UAE.
- Acted for the employer on various claims arising from the construction of a large process plant in Egypt.
- In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, advised an EPC contractor on pursuing substantial claims under both the contract and under Shari'a law arising from the design and construction of a $500 million process plant.
- Acted for an employer in a statutory Adjudication with a Contractor in connection with alleged delays caused by the approval by London Underground of tunnel monitoring equipment.
- Advised a Turkish utility on resolving a dispute with a major equipment manufacturer.
- Advised an EPC contractor in relation to various issues arising from the construction of an oil refinery in India.
Queen Mary, University of London, LLB (Hons)
The London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM, International Business Law
SOAS, University of London, Comparative Arab Commercial Law
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Society of Construction Law
- Society of Construction Law-Gulf
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
Consistently listed as a key or leading individual by the legal directories:
- Co-chair of the firm's global arbitration practice Raid Abu-Manneh is frequently called upon to handle complex and cross-border disputes, with a particular focus on emerging markets work. He represents banks, contractors and utility companies, and is often seen in high-value disputes arising from energy and rail projects. (Construction: International Arbitration, Chambers UK 2019).
- Raid Abu-Manneh is "experienced, creative and liked by clients". (International Arbitration, Legal 500 2018).
- Abu-Manneh is "a brilliant attorney" (Construction, Legal 500 2018).
- He is "a brilliant attorney - his skills in analysing technically complex matters are superb". (Emerging Markets, Legal 500 2018).
- The "charming" Raid Abu-Manneh "has good client skills, and sees the issues the client is interested in and focuses on them". (Legal 500 2017).
- Raid Abu-Manneh leads the firm's international arbitration practice. He has particular strength in disputes arising in the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America. One interviewee notes: "He runs a very substantial practice and knows the Middle East extremely well." (Chambers UK 2017).
- Listed as a leading individual for International Arbitration. "A growing force in international arbitration", Mayer Brown International LLP’s London team acted alongside the Paris office for Panama Canal Authority in multiple disputes with a construction consortium. Raid Abu-Manneh has "a good nose for the merits of a dispute". (Legal 500 2016).
- He attracts praise from interviewees for his work on prominent infrastructure and other projects. (Chambers UK 2016).
- He is recommended by Legal 500 2015 and a Leading Individual for International Arbitration.
- Raid Abu-Manneh advises on projects, with a focus on the Middle East. He is fluent in Arabic, and is praised by a source as "one of the most determined solicitors." (Chambers UK 2015).
- A "terrific lawyer" (Chambers UK 2014).
- "A leading practice in international arbitration", Mayer Brown International LLP fields expertise in energy, construction, telecoms and insurance, and is experienced in work emanating from Africa, the Middle East, South America and India. Raid Abu-Manneh is "highly experienced" (Legal 500 2014).
- He "succeeds for his clients" (Legal 500 2013).
- He "gets results" (Legal 500 2012).