Paul Whitfield-Jones is a senior associate in the government global trade group of the London office. He focuses on regulatory compliance, transactional advice and investigations in the areas of economic sanctions, export controls, anti-corruption and money laundering. He has advised clients in a broad array of sectors, including defence, energy, finance, insurance, transport and engineering.
Paul advises clients on: developing and testing compliance programmes; designing and delivering training; conducting investigations and submitting disclosures; liaising with regulators and supporting licence applications; and advising on complex transactions. He has represented clients in matters involving the Export Control Joint Unit, the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation, HM Revenue & Customs, the US Office of Foreign Assets Control and the US State Department.
His experience includes a secondment into the group export controls team of a major defence company, during the term of a Consent Agreement with the US State Department. He is an active participant in the Export Group for Aerospace, Defence and Dual-Use, where he supports training initiatives and recently spoke at EGADD's UK Industry Export Control Forum.
Paul joined Mayer Brown in 2018.
- Providing on-going support and advice to the group export controls team of a major defence company.
- Assisting an international engineering company with a risk assessment of its third party agents and distributers.
- Assisting a defence company with an investigation into a UK trade controls matter, involving the Export Control Joint Unit and HM Revenue & Customs (matter at a previous firm).
- Designing and delivering an extensive sanctions training programme for the financial crime team of a major European bank in various locations around the UK (matter at a previous firm).
- Advising an international shipping company on sanctions in relation to complex arrangements for the charter of vessels to an energy project in Russia, including liaison with the US Office Foreign Assets Control (matter at a previous firm).
- Assisting a European industrial manufacturer with an ABC compliance review of its offices in selected jurisdictions and a related internal investigation (matter at a previous firm).
- Advising an international transport company on the ABC and AML aspects of a corporate disposal (matter at a previous firm).
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' and recommended for EU and Competition Trade. 'Engaging, very knowledgeable and hugely supportive and helpful. Whilst I realise that I only know a handful of people there, Paul Whitfield-Jones and Jason Hungerford give me nothing but total confidence in the capabilities of the rest of their staff‘' (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' for EU and Competition Trade (Legal 500 2020).