"Reliable and uncomplicated, clear statements at a high professional level" (client)
"see him as a rising star" (client)
JUVE Handbook 2021/2022
Dr. Johannes Weichbrodt is a partner in the Düsseldorf office of Mayer Brown's Antitrust and White Collar Defense & Compliance practices.
Johannes advises on all aspects of European and German antitrust and competition law and helps clients with all kinds of compliance issues. He focusses on cross-border internal investigations and compliance programs, including in Asia and particularly in Latin America. His litigation experience includes proceedings before the German courts as well as the European Court of Justice. He has deep insight into the automotive industry, both from the OEM and the supplier side. Other clients he often acts for hail from the heavy industry, consumer goods and retail as well as the tech sector.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Johannes has worked as a partner for another renowned international law firm in Düsseldorf.
- Advising Goodyear on acquisition of Reifen Burkhardt.
- Advised Sunfire, a global leader for industrial electrolyzers, on part of the increase of its Series D capital raising to €195 million ($215 million).
- Advising DBAG on its acquisition of akquinet and two data processing centers.
- Advised Aptos on the sale of its supply chain management business unit to TESISQUARE®
- Represented Japanese automotive supplier Takata in the Occupant Safety case of the EU Commission.*
- Represented German automotive supplier Continental in the Wire Harness case of the EU Commission.*
- Conducted a comprehensive internal investigation into fraud and cartel issues at a German/international automotive company.*
- Set-up and conducted a comprehensive compliance audits for several automotive companies in different countries in Latin America and Asia/Oceania.*
- Regularly conducts internal investigations and represents clients before authorities such as Federal Cartel Office in Germany and the EU Commission in antitrust and other compliance-related investigations.
- Successfully defended a US consumer goods company against claims of abusive behavior including in the appellate stage.*
- Represented Villeroy & Boch before the European Court of Justice in cartel appellate proceedings.*
- Represented a German company in cartel proceedings in Greece and other European countries.*
- Advised on a number of high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control proceedings such as Aurubis in a complex phase 2 EU merger proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Metallo Group.*
- LKQ in the EU merger proceeding and the subsequent national referral proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Stahlgruber.*
- Accenture in numerous merger control proceedings before the FCO.*
- Otto Group in its acquisition of Quelle assets.*
(* At previous law firm.)
Doctor's Degree (PhD in Law), University of Passau (Dr. iur. summa cum laude)
伦敦国王学院, Master of Laws (LLM)
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
First State Law Examination, University of Passau
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers
- German Bar Association
- German Latin America Association
- International Bar Association
- "Reliable and uncomplicated, clear statements at a high professional level" (client) – JUVE Handbook 2021/2022
- "see him as a rising star" (client) – JUVE Handbook 2021/2022
- "often recommended" – JUVE Handbook 2021/2022
- Recognized by The Best LawyersTM in Germany 2022 for Competition/Antitrust Law
- Renowned lawyer for antitrust – WirtschaftsWoche 11 June 2021, Spezial, Kartellrecht/Mergers & Acquisitions
- “…praised by clients for his knowhow and efficiency…” – Legal 500 Germany 2020