Thomas S. Kiriakos
重组, 结构性融资, 困境房地产
"He has tremendous command of the legal issues, but also brings a very practical and business sense to addressing issues. He has strong communications skills."
“He is a great communicator, a great persuader and an excellent negotiator, and he's always got his client first in mind."
Tom Kiriakos is a financial restructuring and bankruptcy lawyer and, from 2009 - 2023, was the Office Practice Leader for Restructuring in our Chicago office. He represents clients in restructuring transactions and bankruptcy cases involving debtors across the business spectrum such as real estate, construction, retail, manufacturing (including auto and aircraft parts), hotels, restaurants, equipment leasing, meat packing, life settlement, personal services (consulting), distribution, transportation, for-profit education, oil field and agricultural chemicals, alarm security, airlines, oil and gas drilling, production and refining, and electric utilities. Among his representations, Tom was the lead bankruptcy attorney for the successful senior lender in the landmark Supreme Court 203 North LaSalle Street decision, 526 U.S. 434 (1999) as well as the lead restructuring lawyer for the administrative agent in the restructurings of the construction loan facility for the largest private construction project in North America. Tom advises boards of directors, including as to duties and responsibilities during periods of financial distress. He also represents clients in related litigation matters, including fraudulent transfer and other avoidance claims, successor liability issues, lender-liability claims, intercreditor disputes, and instances of possible borrower fraud. He represents potential acquirers of distressed businesses, whether via bankruptcy sales, through foreclosure sales, or from assignees for the benefit of creditors, and across a wide array of asset classes. He has represented official unsecured creditors' committees including as co-counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of the Holding Company Debtors in the Chapter 11 cases of Conseco, Inc. (et al.), the third-largest bankruptcy cases in U.S. history at the time of filing.
- Represented GWG Holdings, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries, a publicly-traded life settlements and alternative investments company, as lead debtors’ counsel in their Chapter 11 cases, culminating in plan confirmation and successful emergence from Chapter 11, resolving more than $2.1 billion in debt.
- Lead restructuring partner representing the original administrative agent and lead lender, under a $200 million multi-lender first lien secured facility to FrontPoint Security Solutions, LLC, a major alarm security company, and its affiliates. Tom played a leading role in the negotiation, documentation and execution of the entire restructuring and recapitalization. This transaction was awarded “Industrials Deal of the Year” at The M&A Advisor’s 2021 Turnaround Awards.
- The University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction
- Grinnell College, 学士
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Member, Board of Directors of the Cameron Kravitt Foundation, 1992 to date
- Member, Advisory Board of PanHellenic Scholarship Foundation, 2019 to date
- American Bankruptcy Institute