“competent, clear, pragmatic" (client)JUVE Handbook 2015/16
Christian Horstkotte is a partner in the Düsseldorf office of Mayer Brown and heads the Antitrust practice in Germany. He is co-leader of the firm’s European Antitrust practice.
Christian counsels clients on all aspects of German and European antitrust law, focusing on complex merger control proceedings and cartel investigations as well as court proceedings before German and European competition authorities and courts, including follow-on litigation. He also regularly advises clients in dominance matters and in the implementation of compliance programmes. His industry focus includes in particular blue-chip companies in the automotive, energy, financial services, FMCG, construction and logistics industries.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Christian was a partner and head of the German Antitrust practice in another renowned international law firm in Düsseldorf.
Christian regularly lectures and has articles published. He is co-author of Frankfurter Kommentar zum Kartellrecht and several other antitrust publications.
Advised Lange-HANSA-Holding and ULM Management on the sale of HANSA-HEEMANN to Refresco.
- Regularly advising on high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control proceedings including appeal proceedings at the respective courts.
- Advised Aurubis in a complex phase 2 EU merger control investigation in relation to the acquisition of Metallo Group.*
- Advised LKQ in the EU merger proceeding and the subsequent national referral proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Stahlgruber.*
- Advised in a number of complex cartel investigations of the European Commission and the German Bundeskartellamt including appeal proceedings at the respective courts.*
- Successfully defended Carlsberg in a German appeal court proceeding before the Higher Regional Court Dusseldorf in the beer cartel, having the court completely annul a EUR 62 million fine.*
- Advised a German car parts manufacturer in a cartel investigation of the German Bundeskartellamt as well as follow-on litigation.
(* At previous law firm.)
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Wiesbaden, 2002
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), in Wiesbaden, Frankfurt, Speyer and Brussels, 2000-2002
Commerzbank AG, Legal Consultant, 1998-2000
First State Law Examination, Georg-August-University Göttingen, Germany, 1997
Studies at Berlin, Bologna and Göttingen Universities
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers (“Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht”)
- German Israeli Lawyers Association
- “Deutscher Juristentag”
- American Bar Association
- Board of trustees of the Institute for Competition Law at the University of Düsseldorf
- Recognized by The Best LawyersTM in Germany 2022 for Competition/Antitrust Law
- Renowned lawyer for antitrust – WirtschaftsWoche 11 June 2021, Spezial, Kartellrecht/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Thought Leader in Competition Germany – Who's Who Legal 2020
- Recommended – Who’s Who Legal Germany 2021
- “Most highly regarded”, Who’s Who Legal Germany Competition 2021
- Recommended – Who's Who Legal Global Competition 2021
- Wirtschaftswoche – The best antitrust lawyers in Germany, 2020
- Recommended – Chambers 2020
- “highly regarded” – Global Competition Review Global Elite 2021
- “one of the leading lawyers of the young generation” – JUVE Handbook 2020/21
- Acritas Star – Acritas Sharplegal 2021