Led by Joanna Horsnail, "the team at Mayer Brown handles construction matters…and provides 'high quality work,' delivered 'in a timely fashion' by attorneys who are not only 'fun to work with' but also 'very knowledgeable regarding their practice areas.'"Legal 500 2019
Joanna Horsnail is a construction and government transactions attorney whose practice focuses on the following areas:
Design and Construction. Represents public and private owners, developers, lenders, and contractors regarding the design, construction, development, financing, acquisition, and disposition of facilities, including various public-private partnership projects. Other experience includes traditional power projects, renewable energy projects, and other infrastructure projects. Joanna negotiates and prepares EPC contracts, design and construction agreements, concession agreements, sponsorship agreements, naming rights agreements, leases, service agreements, purchase agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, consulting contracts and various project-management agreements. In 2019, Legal 500 ranked Joanna as one of 25 “Leading Lawyers” for Construction in the United States.
Public and Project Finance. Represents clients in tax-exempt financings as bond counsel, underwriters’ counsel, issuer’s counsel, and credit enhancer’s counsel. Joanna has participated in financings for the State of Illinois (bond counsel for $10 billion pension obligation bond financing, which was named a Bond Buyer Midwest deal of the year), the City of Chicago, the Board of Education of the City of Chicago, the Illinois Housing Development Authority, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and other public and not-for-profit entities. Also works on construction-related aspects of project finance transactions, including representing lenders and sponsors.
General Governmental Representation. Provides general counsel to governmental bodies engaged in activities such as construction, privatization, economic development, procurement, complex developments and special projects. She has negotiated and documented sophisticated transactions involving the State of Illinois, the City of Chicago, the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, and the Metropolitan Pier & Exposition Authority.
Joanna also serves as chair of Mayer Brown's Diversity Steering Board.
Representative transactions include the following:
- Represented the Texas Department of Transportation in the negotiation of a design-build agreement and capital maintenance agreements for more than $2 billion in highway construction projects.
- Representing Benteler in its construction of a hot rolling steel mill and related facilities near Shreveport, Louisiana.
- Represented power producer in the Dominican Republic in negotiation of EPC contract and related documents for construction of 215 MW dual-fuel power plant.
- Represented Caterpillar as EPC contractor in the negotiation of multiple EPC contracts for projects in the US and Canada.
- Represented the Metropolitan Pier & Exposition Authority of Chicago in the negotiation and drafting of design-build contracts for the McCormick Place Convention center expansion.
- Represented a Japanese company in its EPC negotiations to build a gas pipeline in Mexico for a Mexican utility.
- Represented Crestwood in EPC negotiations to bid for the construction of a gas pipeline in Texas.
- Represented lenders in review and negotiation of design-build and other project agreements on the Denver FasTracks projects, a new commuter rail system in Denver, Colorado constructed through a public-private-partnership model.
- Represented a bidding consortium sponsored by Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte, S.A. (a division of Ferrovial) in its bid to design/build/finance/maintain/operate a new toll road running between the Jackson Airport and downtown Jackson, Mississippi through a public-private-partnership model.
- Represented a bidding consortium sponsored by Hochtief PPP Solutions North America in its bid to design/build/finance/maintain/operate a new toll bridge that will span the Currituck Sound in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina through a public-private-partnership model.
- Represented the City of Chicago in the negotiation of a 20-year design/build/install/maintain contract relating to thousands of pieces of “street furniture” provided by JCDecaux.
- Represented Japanese member of consortium bidding to construct new metro railway system in Panama City, Panama.
- Represented Acciona Energy North America in the negotiation and drafting of Engineering and Construction Agreements for the construction of new wind farms in Oklahoma, California, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, as well as miscellaneous EPC matters, turbine supply agreements and transportation agreements.
芝加哥肯特法学院, JDOrder of the CoifChicago-Kent Law Review
University of Colorado, BS
- Board of Directors of Cabrini Green Legal Aid
- Board of Directors of PURA Syndrome Foundation
- Leadership Greater Chicago, Fellow 2015
- Women in Public Finance (Past President); recipient of the 2007 Woman of the Year Award
- Board of Directors of Anixter Center (2009 to present); Board Chair (2014-16)
- Women’s Infrastructure Network
- National Association of Bond Lawyers