Robert Goldberg advises on domestic and international project finance, project M&A and project development transactions of all kinds.
Rob’s practice focuses on the energy and infrastructure sectors, including conventional and renewable power, oil and gas and other infrastructure. Rob’s clients consist of financial institutions and other lenders and investors, sponsors, developers and other participants in project finance and development matters. In addition to debt and equity financing and development work, Rob represents purchasers and sellers of energy companies and assets in private acquisition and divestiture transactions. Rob is also experienced in the restructuring and refinancing of project finance and other debt outside of bankruptcy.
Rob is a co-head of Mayer Brown’s Renewable Energy Group and is individually ranked by Chambers USA 2017 for Projects: Renewable and Alternative Energy. Rob has been honored as a “Project Finance Rising Star” by Law360 for his work on various complex project financings.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and Berkshire Hathaway as tax equity investors on the closing of the commitment to invest approximately $270 million to finance development and construction of the approximately 300 MW Ranchero wind power generation facility by affiliates of developer Scout Clean Energy and sponsor Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners to be located in Crockett County, Texas.
- Represented Leeward Renewable Energy, LLC on the tax equity financing of its repowered 77 MW Mendota Hills wind project in Lee County, Illinois, the first utility-scale wind project site in Illinois.
- Represented Arroyo Energy Investors and certain affiliates on the purchase from affiliates of The Pattern Energy Group LP and Pattern Energy Group Inc. of their renewable energy project portfolio in Chile, including an 81 MW interest in the 115 MW El Arrayan wind farm and all of the equity interest of the 104MW AC Conejo solar project. Simultaneous with the closing of such purchase, Arroyo also purchased the remaining equity interest in El Arrayan from Antofagasta Minerals S.A.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and JP Morgan as equity investors on the tax equity financing of the approximately 200 megawatt Persimmon Creek wind project developed by Elawan Wind (formerly Gestamp Wind) and Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners in Ellis, Woodward and Dewey Counties, Oklahoma.
- Represented Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), Natixis, New York Branch and MUFG Bank, Ltd. as joint lead arrangers and bookrunners on the US$135 million financing of the expansion of the 133 MW open-cycle diesel-fired Los Guindos power station in southern Chile’s Biobío region.
- Represented Fengate Real Asset Investments on the acquisition of a portfolio of operating solar projects and co-development arrangements for further project acquisition, development and finance.
- Represented Fengate Real Asset Investments on development loan finance and co-development arrangements for a utility-scale wind project in Maine, U.S.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services on an approximately $110 million structured equity investment commitment in a portfolio of rooftop and carport PV solar projects totaling approximately 75 MW utility-scale solar project to be constructed in California and sponsored by NRG Renew, an affiliate of NRG Energy.
- Represented Tortoise Capital Advisors, L.L.C. on the acquisition by its closed-end fund, Tortoise Energy Infrastructure Fund, of a 33-megawatt portfolio of commercial and industrial solar projects portfolio from Kenyon Energy and its affiliate Sun Financial. The solar projects will provide electricity to various university and municipality customers in the State of New York.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and Goldman Sachs as tax equity investors to finance the Moapa Solar project, a 250 MW AC photovoltaic solar project developed by First Solar in Nevada.
- Represented renewable energy project developer SunEdison Inc. on the creation of Terra Nova Renewable Partners, a partnership between SunEdison and JPMorgan’s Infrastructure Investment Fund and the sale or transfer of SunEdison’s equity interest in hundreds of megawatts of wind assets and hundreds of megawatts of solar assets to the partnership in several closings
- Represented the developer on the construction loan, tax equity commitment, back-leverage commitment, tax equity bridge financing, and power hedge arrangements for the 200 MW South Plains Project, located in Texas.
- Represented the developer on the financing of a 300 megawatt Texas wind project, including a $467 million construction loan, a $261 million structured equity investment commitment and a long-term hedge off take arrangement.
- Represented the tax equity investor on an approximately $144 million structured equity investment in a 100 MW utility-scale solar project and a $110 million structured equity investment in a 75 MW utility-scale solar project to be constructed in California and sponsored by Recurrent Energy, an affiliate of Canadian Solar.
- Represented Tenaska Power Fund on a $1.645 billion acquisition financing for the acquisition of a portfolio of natural gas-fired power generation facilities located in the United States.
- Represented the equity investor on the leveraged lease financing of the Hatchet Ridge wind farm located in California.
- Represented the lenders on the construction and term financing of a 50 MW wind project located in New Mexico.
- Represented the lenders on construction and term financing for the 114 MW Renace II hydropower project in Guatemala.
- Represented the project company and Spanish sponsor on construction and term financing for a 54 MW wind project in Tamaulipas, Mexico.
- Represented the seller on the sale of two late development stage wind projects located in Mexico.
- Represented Bank of America, Citigroup, GE Energy Financial Services and Google in a $315 million structured equity investment in Balko Wind, a 300 MW wind farm located in Oklahoma, developed by affiliates of D.E. Shaw Renewable Investments, L.L.C.
- Represented Bank of America, The Bank of New York Mellon and their respective affiliates on an approximately $330 million structured equity investment to finance the 250 MW Palo Duro I wind farm located in Texas and Oklahoma and developed by NextEra Energy Resources.
- Represented FirstWind in connection with the sale of its equity interests in the 150 MW Route 66 wind project located in Texas and the 105 MW Palouse wind project located in Washington.
- Represented Starwood Energy in its acquisition of Lakeside Generation LLC, a 369 megawatt portfolio of three natural gas-fired power generation facilities, one in Pennsylvania and two in New York.
- Represented Starwood Energy in its acquisition of a 550 megawatt natural gas combined-cycle electric power generation facility located in the Permian Basin.
- Represented First Wind as sponsor on tax equity financing for the 105 MW Palouse Wind project in Washington state.
- Represented HSH Nordbank on a CAN$280 million turbine supply loan financing to a Canadian renewables projects developer.
- Represented Veolia Environment and Eolfi in a merger transaction for the acquisition by Veolia of a US wind developer.
- Represented General Electric EFS in the provision of equity financing for a number of wind farm projects located in the United States.
- Represented Wells Fargo in the provision of equity financing for numerous wind farm projects located in the United States.
- Represented Horizon Wind Energy in obtaining equity financing for a portfolio of wind farm projects located in the United States.
- Represented GE Energy in connection with the acquisition of site and development rights and negotiation of various agreements relating to construction, management and ownership of the Inland Empire Energy Center facility, an 800 MW merchant plant to be constructed in California. The plant is one of the first to utilize GE’s H System technology.
- Represented certain energy investment funds on acquisition bids for various utilities and power assets and on acquisition financing and structuring.
- Represented the international lenders in connection with the financing of the $1.4 billion Cross Israel Highway, Israel's first toll road. The deal was honored as "deal of the year” by both Project Finance magazine and Project Finance International.
- Represented Royal Bank of Scotland as agent and lender for the financing of a natural gas storage facility located in Louisiana.
- Represented Gazprom in negotiations for terminal use agreements and other arrangements relating to the transportation of LNG into the United States.
- Represented Union Bank of California and DZ Bank in connection with providing acquisition financing and take out term financing to a sponsor group for the acquisition of the interests in a natural gas storage facility in California.
- Represented various developers in connection with the development and financing of ethanol and biodiesel production facilities in the United States.
- Represented El Paso Corporation and its affiliates in numerous divestitures of interests of both contracted and merchant domestic power assets.
- Represented Union Bank of California as agent and lead bank on a number of financings and refinancings for various domestic energy projects.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD
Binghamton University, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude