"'Robert is knowledgeable and good to work with.' 'He's a good lawyer who focuses on the important issues.'"Chambers USA 2023
Robert Goldberg advises on domestic and international project finance, M&A, joint ventures and investments and project development transactions of all kinds.
Rob’s practice focuses on the energy and infrastructure sectors, including a strong focus on conventional and renewable power, as well as other infrastructure and energy transition projects. Rob’s clients consist of lenders and investors, sponsors, developers and other participants in a broad variety of debt and equity project finance, including tax equity investments, M&A, joint ventures, project and portfolio acquisitions and sales and project development matters. Rob is also experienced in the restructuring and refinancing of project finance and other debt outside of bankruptcy.
Rob is a co-head of Mayer Brown's Renewable Energy Group and is individually ranked by Chambers USA 2022 for Projects: Renewable and Alternative Energy. Rob has been named to the "Legal Power List 2020 of The 100 Most Influential Lawyers in Global Wind" by A Word About Wind. Rob has also been honored as a "Project Finance Rising Star" by Law360 for his work on various complex project financings.
- Represented Arroyo Energy Investors and certain affiliates on the purchase from affiliates of The Pattern Energy Group LP and Pattern Energy Group Inc. of their renewable energy project portfolio in Chile, including an 81 MW interest in the 115 MW El Arrayan wind farm and all of the equity interest of the 104MW AC Conejo solar project.
- Represented Bank of America, Citigroup, GE Energy Financial Services and Google in a $315 million structured equity investment in Balko Wind, a 300 MW wind farm located in Oklahoma, developed by affiliates of D.E. Shaw Renewable Investments, L.L.C.
- Represented Bank of America, The Bank of New York Mellon and their respective affiliates on an approximately $330 million structured equity investment to finance the 250 MW Palo Duro I wind farm located in Texas and Oklahoma and developed by NextEra Energy Resources.
- Represented Engie, as buyer, on acquisition of the Sun Valley project, a development stage solar project located in Texas.
- Represented Fengate Real Asset Investments on the acquisition of a portfolio of operating solar projects and co-development arrangements for further project acquisition, development and finance.
- Represented Fengate Real Asset Investments on development loan finance and co-development arrangements for a utility-scale wind project in Maine, U.S.
- Represented First Sentier Investors in its acquisition of 50 percent of the equity interests in the renewable energy developer Terra-Gen from Energy Capital Partners, LLC.
- Represented First Wind on the sale of its equity interests in the 150 MW Route 66 wind project located in Texas and the 105 MW Palouse wind project located in Washington.
- Represented First Wind as sponsor on tax equity financing for the 105 MW Palouse Wind project in Washington state.
- Represented Gazprom in negotiations for terminal use agreements and other arrangements relating to the transportation of LNG into the United States.
- Represented GE Energy in connection with construction, management and ownership of the Inland Empire Energy Center facility, an 800 MW merchant plant to be constructed in California. The plant is one of the first to utilize GE’s H System technology.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services on an approximately $110 million structured equity investment commitment in a portfolio of rooftop and carport PV solar projects in California sponsored by NRG Renew, an affiliate of NRG Energy.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and JP Morgan as investors on the tax equity financing of the approximately 200 megawatt Persimmon Creek wind project developed by Elawan Wind (formerly Gestamp Wind) and Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners in Oklahoma.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and Berkshire Hathaway as tax equity investors on the financing of the approximately 300 MW Ranchero wind power generation facility in Texas by affiliates of developer Scout Clean Energy and sponsor Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and Goldman Sachs as tax equity investors to finance the Moapa Solar project, a 250 MW AC photovoltaic solar project developed by First Solar in Nevada.
- Represented GE Energy Financial Services and Tyr Energy, Inc., as tax equity investors in financing the approximately 160MW Prairie Switch wind power generation facility located in Texas.
- Represented HSH Nordbank on a CAN$280 million turbine supply loan financing to a Canadian renewables projects developer.
- Represented John Hancock Life Insurance Co. on the acquisition of a 49% ownership in ExGen Renewables Partners, a joint venture with Exelon that owns and operates a nearly 1300 MW portfolio of wind and solar projects.
- Represented John Hancock Life Insurance Co. and John Hancock Infrastructure Master Fund, L.P. as lenders in a $85 million delayed draw holdco loan facility to an SPV established by Sunrun Inc. secured by customer payments and environmental attributes, incentives and tax credits from residential solar panel projects .
- Represented affiliates of John Hancock and NY Life as term lenders on the refinancing of the term loan and LC Facility for the EDF Fenton Wind project in Minnesota.
- Represented Longroad Energy and affiliates as sponsor on both debt and tax equity financing for its SunStreams 3 215MWac solar plus 215MWac storage project located in Arizona, as well as advice on ITC qualification matters.
- Represented Longroad Energy on debt and tax equity financing for El Campo Wind in Texas.
- Represented Longroad Energy on a partial sale of the Prospero solar project in Texas and Little Bear solar project in California and JV arrangements with the new partner AIP PKA.
- Represented Leeward Renewable Energy (LRE) on the tax equity financing of its repowered 77 MW Mendota Hills wind project in Lee County, Illinois, the first utility-scale wind project site in Illinois.
- Represented LRE and its affiliates as sponsor on construction loan and tax equity financing of a 170MW wind project, Mountain Breeze Wind Farm, in Colorado.
- Represented LRE and its affiliates as sponsor on both debt and tax equity financing for its 145MW Panorama wind project located in Colorado.
- Represented LRE and its affiliates as sponsor on both debt and tax equity financing for its 110MWac solar plus 20MWac battery storage Rabbitbrush project in California, together with debt financing commitments for its 102MWac solar plus 52MWac Chaparral Springs project and its 72MWac solar plus 36MWac storage Willow Springs project in California.
- Represented LRE and its affiliates as sponsor on both debt and tax equity financing for its 52MWac Chaparral Springs project and its 72MWac solar plus 36MWac storage Willow Springs project in California.
- Represented LRE and its affiliates as sponsor in the tax equity financing, construction loan, tax equity bridge loan, term loan and letter of credit facility for its 88.68 MW Lone Tree wind farm project in Bureau County, Illinois.
- Represented Republic Services Renewable Energy II, LLC in its tax equity investment in the 175 MW-AC Skipjack Solar Project located in Charles City County, Virginia.
- Represented Royal Bank of Scotland as agent and lender for the financing of a natural gas storage facility located in Louisiana.
- Represented Starwood Energy in its acquisition of Lakeside Generation LLC, a 369 megawatt portfolio of three natural gas-fired power generation facilities, one in Pennsylvania and two in New York.
- Represented Starwood Energy in its acquisition of a 550 megawatt natural gas combined-cycle electric power generation facility located in the Permian Basin.
- Represented the lead arrangers on the US$135 million financing of the expansion of the 133 MW open-cycle diesel-fired Los Guindos power station in southern Chile’s Biobío region.
- Represented renewable energy project developer SunEdison Inc. on the creation of Terra Nova Renewable Partners, a partnership between SunEdison and JPMorgan’s Infrastructure Investment Fund and the sale or transfer of hundreds of megawatts of wind and solar assets to the partnership in several closings.
- Represented TCE as buyer on the acquisition of a development stage solar project in Illinois.
- Represented Tenaska Power Fund on a $1.645 billion acquisition financing for the acquisition of a portfolio of natural gas-fired power generation facilities located in the United States.
- Represented Tortoise Capital Advisors, L.L.C. on the acquisition by its closed-end fund, Tortoise Energy Infrastructure Fund, of a 33-megawatt portfolio of commercial and industrial solar projects portfolio that will provide electricity to various university and municipality customers in the State of New York.
- Represented the sponsor on construction loan, tax equity commitment, back-leverage commitment, tax equity bridge financing, and power hedge arrangements for the 200 MW South Plains Project, located in Texas.
- Represented the sponsor on the financing of a 300 MW Texas wind project, including a $467 million construction loan, a $261 million structured equity investment commitment and a long-term hedge off take arrangement.
- Represented the tax equity investor on financing of a 100 MW utility-scale solar project and a 75 MW utility-scale solar project in California sponsored by Recurrent Energy, an affiliate of Canadian Solar.
- Represented the equity investor on the leveraged lease financing of the Hatchet Ridge wind farm located in California.
- Represented the lenders on the construction and term financing of a 50 MW wind project located in New Mexico.
- Represented the lenders on construction and term financing for the 114 MW Renace II hydropower project in Guatemala.
- Represented the project company and Spanish sponsor on construction and term financing for a 54 MW wind project in Tamaulipas, Mexico.
- Represented the seller on the sale of two late development stage wind projects located in Mexico.
- Represented the international lenders in connection with the financing of the $1.4 billion Cross Israel Highway, Israel's first toll road. The deal was honored as "deal of the year” by both Project Finance magazine and Project Finance International.
- Represented various developers in connection with the development and financing of ethanol and biodiesel production facilities in the United States.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD
Binghamton University, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude
- New York