Pablo C. Ferrante is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Global Oil and Gas Group, who concentrates his practice on domestic and international corporate projects and transactions, with a focus on Latin America. He has extensive experience representing oil and gas companies in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, and in the negotiation of exploration, drilling, production, operating, transportation, processing and storage agreements and other contracts commonly used in the industry.
Pablo also has significant experience representing financial institutions and companies across a wide range of industries in cross-border financings and business transactions across Latin America, as well as advising companies on compliance with anti-corruption and embargo laws.
Pablo was honored by Law 360 for his work on some of the most innovative deals in the energy industry. Chambers Global highlights Pablo’s ability to “focus sharply and quickly on the client’s interest.”
- Represented Pluspetrol in connection with a Farmout Agreement for the acquisition of a 30% participating interest in oil and gas Block 47, offshore Suriname, from Tullow Oil.
- Represented Noble Energy in connection with a Farmout Agreement for the acquisition of a 20% participating interest in oil and gas Block 54, offshore Suriname, from Tullow Oil.
- Represented Noble Energy in the farmout of a participating interest in two hydrocarbon concessions offshore Nicaragua to Repsol.
- Represented Noble Energy in the farmout of a participating interest in two hydrocarbon concessions offshore Nicaragua to a private equity group.
- Represented Ecopetrol in its new country entry into Mexico and its successful bids for securing production sharing contracts for the exploration and extraction of hydrocarbons in two shallow water oil and gas blocks in Mexico in connection with the Bid Round 2.1 conducted by the National Hydrocarbons Commission of Mexico.
- Represented Petroandina Resources Corporation N.V., a subsidiary of Pluspetrol, in its new country entry into Ecuador and the acquisition of AGIP Oil Ecuador B.V, the owner and operator of Block 10 located in the Amazonian Region of Ecuador, from ENI International B.V.
- Represented Progress Resources USA Ltd., a subsidiary of Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS), in connection with its agreement with Equinor Gulf of Mexico LLC to participate with a 30 percent working interest in the Monument Prospect in the US Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented Vista Oil & Gas, the first independent oil and gas company to operate in the shale fields of Vaca Muerta in Argentina, in its operational and midstream services agreement with affiliates of Riverstone, Southern Cross and other sponsors to create Aleph Midstream S.A.
- Represented Repsol Downstream Mexico S.A. de C.V., an affiliate of Repsol S.A., in the negotiation of agreements securing more than 750,000 barrels of storage capacity in three different fuel storage terminals in Mexico, as part of the company’s plans to grow its downstream business and develop its own downstream logistical network in the country.
- Represented Ecopetrol America Inc., a subsidiary of Ecopetrol S.A., the Colombian national oil company, in the acquisition of an interest in the K2 Field in the US Gulf of Mexico from MCX Gulf of Mexico LLC, a subsidiary of Mitsubishi.
- Represented Mitsui in the acquisition of a 20% participating interest in the Kaikias and Circius offshore oil and gas fields in the Mississippi Canyon area of the Gulf of Mexico from Shell Offshore Inc.
- Represented Ecopetrol, Colombia’s state-owned oil company, in the $510 million acquisition of a 9.2% interest in the K2 field, a deepwater producing field located in the US Gulf of Mexico, from Union Oil Company of California, a subsidiary of Chevron Corporation.
- Represented Ecopetrol in the evaluation and negotiation of oil and gas exploration joint ventures in the Gulf of Mexico with Shell, BP, Statoil, Newfield and Eni.
- Represented Ecopetrol in connection with the negotiation of a joint venture with Anadarko for the joint exploration and development of Fuerte Norte, Fuerte Sur and other oil and gas blocks offshore Colombia, including the negotiation of the relevant farmout, joint operating and joint bidding agreements.
- Represented Ecopetrol with respect to the farmout of oil and gas interests in the Aguas Blancas, Tenerife y San Luis Block blocks in the Valle Magdalena Medio, onshore Colombia.
- Represented Hocol in connection with the negotiation of the operating agreements for two oil and gas exploration and production blocks in Colombia.
- Represented Repsol Ecuador S.A., a subsidiary of Repsol S.A. (Spain), in the sale of 100% of its ownership interest in Amodaimi Oil Company, Ltd. to Tiptop Energy Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sinopec (China). Amodaimi holds a 20% participating interest in Block 16 and Tivacuno service contracts in Ecuador, both of which are producing assets.
- Represented Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP), the state-owned oil company of Chile, in its agreement with ConocoPhillips for the exploration and production of unconventional gas in the southern Magallanes region of Chile. ConocoPhillips holds a 49 percent stake in the venture and ENAP holds the majority 51 percent stake.
- Represented Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP) in connection with a transaction with PetroMagallanes to secure a 100% interest in the Brotula and Caupolican oil & gas blocks located in the southern Magallanes region of Chile.
- Represented a major US midstream company in the evaluation and preparation of its bid to enter into a long term transportation services agreement with Comision Nacional de Electricidad (CFE), Mexico’s electric utility company, for the construction, operation and maintenance of a cross-border multibillion-dollar natural gas pipeline and natural gas header in Mexico.
- Represented Sinochem Petroleum USA LLC, a US subsidiary of the Beijing-based Sinochem Group, on a $1.7 billion transaction to purchase a 40% undivided interest in approximately 207,000 net oil and natural gas leasehold acres held by Pioneer Natural Resources Company in the horizontal Wolfcamp shale play in west Texas.
- Represented Ecopetrol as international counsel in connection with the $3.3 billion project for the modernization and expansion of the Barrancabermeja Refinery in Colombia.
- Represented Petroamazonas EP, as lead counsel in connection with the project for expanding its oil production by negotiating and entering into fee-for-service contracts with international oil companies and service providers for the provision of production optimization, secondary recovery and enhanced recovery services on sixteen mature fields in Ecuador.
- Advised Pemex in connection with the U.S.-Mexico Framework Agreement for the joint development of cross-border hydrocarbons resources in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented Ecopetrol in the $700 million acquisition of Propilco, one of the largest petrochemical plants in Colombia.
- Represented Omimex Resources in the $800 million sale of Omimex de Colombia to a consortium formed by Sinopec (China) and ONGC (India).
- Represented lenders in loan transactions with borrowers located in Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile and other Latin American countries, including trade finance transactions guaranteed by the US Export-Import Bank.
- Assisted a major international energy company in reviewing, drafting and negotiating farming, product sharing, joint operation, and joint study and bidding agreements concerning offshore blocks in Angola and Brazil.
- Represented Ecopetrol in its new country entry into Brazil, and in the review, negotiation and evaluation of oil and gas opportunities in the country.
Northwestern University School of Law, 法学硕士
Universidad Austral, postgraduate degree in Regulated Industries (LLM equivalent)
Universidad Católica Argentina, JD
- Texas, Foreign Legal Consultant
- Member, American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Member, New York State Bar Association, International Law and Practice Section
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member, World Affairs Council of Houston
- Chambers Global- Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012
- Chambers Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Chambers USA: Latin America Investments 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015