Joe Castelluccio is a partner in Mayer Brown’s New York office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. He focuses his practice on complex, cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, equity financings and other corporate matters for U.S. and multinational companies. As a former investment banker and finance professional, Joseph helps clients balance risks and opportunities in a broad array of business transactions with a combination of legal acumen and business experience.
Joe’s M&A, joint venture and other corporate work includes deep experience on cross-border transactions, especially for financial institutions and multinational companies based in Japan. He represents companies in a diverse group of industries, including technology, asset management, insurance, transportation and infrastructure, among others. Joe is a frequent commentator on a variety of M&A issues, including cyber and data privacy issues in M&A transactions. His four-part report, Missiles, Malware and Merger Management: Why Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Matter to M&A Practitioners, has been published by Business Houmu in Japan and by Bloomberg Law in the U.S.
In addition, Joe is the co-leader of Mayer Brown’s transactional liability insurance practice. In this capacity, he draws on his M&A experience in representing underwriters in issuing representations and warranties insurance and other types of transactional insurance in connection with M&A deals.
Joe is also a lecturer in Fordham Law School’s Transactional Skills for Global Legal Practice program and a faculty member for the Practising Law Institute’s seminar on Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company. Prior to attending law school, Joe worked at Prudential Securities as an analyst in the investment banking group and as an associate in the equity capital markets group. While attending law school, Joe worked in the division of enforcement at the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Joe is a member of the Legal Advisory Council for Sanctuary for Families, the leading nonprofit organization in New York dedicated exclusively to serving the needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children. He is also a member of the Northeast Advisory Board for Youth About Business, a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive summer M&A programs.
- Represented one of the largest asset managers in Asia in its acquisition of a minority stake in a U.S. registered investment adviser and related commercial arrangements.
- Represented one of the largest networks of independent financial advisory firms in the U.S. in its acquisition of a broker-dealer/registered investment advisor with approximately $50 billion in assets.
- Represented one of the largest networks of independent financial advisory firms in the U.S. in its acquisition of a retail investment advisory business with approximately $10 billion in assets.
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global manufacturer of water and air filtration and purification solutions.
- Represented a large American life insurance company in its acquisition of a term life new business platform and related technology assets.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemicals producers in its sale of a leading distribution business in North America.
- Represented a leading operator of shipping lines and port terminals in numerous transactions, including joint ventures and asset acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented a global financial services company in its bid to acquire a cybersecurity firm.
- Represented a large mutual insurance company in its divestment of a registered investment advisor and asset management company.
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global glass laminating solutions business.
- Represented an international insurance and financial services corporation in its purchase of an independent broker-dealer and registered investment adviser.
- Represented a diversified financial services company in its acquisition of an investment advisory business and trust company.
- Represented a fixed income investment management firm in its acquisition by a large Canadian investment firm.
- Represented multiple hedge funds and investment management firms in the structuring of their equity capitalizations.
- Represented a private equity fund in the purchase of a controlling interest in a technology and services company specializing in the healthcare industry.
- Represented one of the world's largest sovereign wealth funds in its bid to acquire a group of electric power companies in South America.
- Represented a developer and provider of cloud enablement platforms and services in an equity reorganization and a "B" round preferred stock offering.
- Represented a global venture capital firm in its participation in a "B" round preferred stock offering of a diagnostic imaging systems company.
- Represented a leading developer of identity authentication systems in an equity reorganization and "B" round preferred stock offering.
Investments in and Divestments of Private Equity Fund Interests
- Represented a private investor in its sale of a portfolio of interests in multiple private equity funds with a total transaction value of $100 million.
- Represented a $40 billion pension fund in numerous investment around the world, including investments in a real estate fund focused on North America, a private equity fund focused on China, a real estate fund focused on Australian retail properties and a private equity fund focused on Africa and Latin America.
Brooklyn Law School, JD, cum laude
Executive Editor, Brooklyn Law Review (2005–2006)
Georgetown University, BA
- Member, Legal Advisory Council of Sanctuary For Families, the leading non-profit organization in New York State dedicated exclusively to serving the complex needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children.
- Board member, Northeast Region Advisory Board of Youth About Business , a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive M&A summer programs.
- New York City Bar Association