Ricky Yiu is a partner of Mayer Brown's Real Estate practice in Hong Kong whose main areas of focus are on real estate and development projects in Hong Kong, the PRC and Macau. He has extensive experience in acting in all stages of the real estate investment cycle including acquisition, financing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and disposals. Ricky also advises hotel owners and international hotel operators on the drafting and negotiation of hotel management and related agreements in the Asia Pacific region. He is listed as a notable practitioner for Real Estate in Chambers Asia Pacific.
Ricky is a notary public in Hong Kong and a China-Appointed Attesting Officer. He speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Represented Schroders Pamfleet, the joint venture partner of Gaw Capital, in the HK$9.845 billion acquisition of Cityplaza One, a Grade-A 21-storey office building with a gross floor area of 628,785 square feet on No. 1111 King’s Road, Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong.
- Represented a private equity real estate fund in the HK$15 billion acquisition of 49 percent (with a view to a top-up by an additional 16%) of the equity interest of the purchaser entity, Henglilong Investments Limited, in relation to its acquisition of the office/commercial/car parking units at Cityplaza 3 and Cityplaza 4, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong, from Swire Properties Limited
- Represented CIFI Holdings and Wang On Properties in the HK$1.88 billion acquisition of two commercial buildings on No. 101 and No. 111 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong. No. 101 King’s Road is a 26-storey commercial building previously known as Sing Pao Building sold for HK$1.7 billion, while No. 111 King’s Road is a commercial building with an open car park sold for HK$180 million.
Represented a joint venture company between a foreign investment corporation and Pioneer Global Group Limited, in the US$938 million purchase of InterContinental Hong Kong (the Hotel) by way of share acquisition from the Hotel's original owner and management company, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Group.
- Represented China Life Insurance (Overseas) Co. Limited on the HK$5.85 billion partial purchase of One HarbourGate from Wheelock Properties. China Life Insurance acquired the West Tower and West Villa together with 218 private car parking spaces and 11 motor cycle parking spaces of One HarbourGate. The acquired property will become the headquarters of China Life Insurance's overseas investment arm.
- Represented a joint venture company between two private equity real estate funds in the HK$1.65 billion disposal of Kian Dai Industrial Building at Nos. 73 and 75 Hung To Road, Kwun Tong, by way of sale of an offshore BVI company, which owns the property holding Hong Kong company.
- Represented a joint venture company between a listed company and a private equity real estate fund in the HK$1.825 billion acquisition of properties at No. 8-12 Peak Road, Hong Kong, by way of acquisition of certain offshore intermediate holding companies and also represented the private equity real estate fund in the establishment of the joint venture company for the acquisition of the said properties.
- Represented a private equity real estate fund in the HK$1.38 billion purchase of a office/retail property in Kwun Tong by way of acquisition of the entire issued share capital together with the related shareholder’s loan of an offshore company which owns the property.
- Represented National Electronics Holdings Limited in the disposal of 50% interest in the residential redevelopment site at No. 45 Tai Tam Road to Malibu Development Holdings Limited, which is a special purpose vehicle owned by an unrelated private equity real estate fund. The agreed value of the land cost of No. 45 Tai Tam Road is about HK$1.582 billion.
- Advised Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation on its land grant with the government, the inception of the Hong Kong Science Park, the leasing structure and other real estate and management issues.
- Acted and approved titles of more than 80 different properties for The Link Real Estate Investment Trust (the “Link REIT”) in connection with the Hong Kong Housing Authority’s plans to divest its retail and car parking operations and facilities into the Link REIT.
Manchester Metropolitan University, LSF
Manchester Metropolitan University, CPE
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, BSocSc
- Hong Kong
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, Hong Kong Society of Notaries
- Member, Association of China-Appointed Attesting Officers
- Notable Practitioner - Real Estate, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2022/23)
- Notable Practitioner - Banking and Finance, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2019-2022, 2022/23)
- Leading Individual - Real Estate (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2022, 2023)
- Leading Individual - Real Estate (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015-2021)