"Recommended lawyer" in the area of Real EstateLegal 500 Deutschland 2018
Dr. Philipp Schaefer is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Mayer Brown’s Real Estate practice.
With over 12 years of experience in the real estate sector Philipp has a broad understanding of the market.
He advises, inter alia, domestic and foreign institutional investors and banks on all aspects of real estate law. He primarily focuses on advising real estate transactions (asset deal and share deal), in particular relating to data centers, industrial sites and to the healthcare sector.
Before joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Philipp worked for two other international law firms in Frankfurt.
Advised BEOS AG, a company owned by real estate investor Swiss Life Asset Managers, on the disposal of two building plots of the "Frankfurt Westside" neighborhood development with a total area of approx. 63,000 sqm. Purchaser of the partial heritable building right for the two areas is the global data center operator CyrusOne.
Advised AIF Capital Group on the acquisition of three care facilities in Lübeck, Sulzbach and Wetzlar for the open-ended healthcare fund AIF Fürsorge I. The three facilities have a total capacity of 353 care places. All properties are leased to established operating companies on a long-term basis. The seller is a joint venture of AG Real Estate of Brussels (Belgium) and Cardif Lux Vie in Luxembourg.
Advised AIF Capital Group on the acquisition of a residential ensemble in Saarbrücken for its open-ended healthcare fund "AIF Fürsorge I". The residential ensemble is currently being developed by IFA Gesellschaft für Immobilien GmbH & Co. KG and will comprise three residential buildings with a total of 84 apartments in the "assisted living" sector.
- Advised IntReal International Real Estate KVG on the sale of the so-called "Europort", a commercial and logistics park located in Kelsterbach.
- Advising Triton on the acquisition of Kälte Eckert.
- Advising BEOS AG, a company owned by real estate investor Swiss Life Asset Managers, on the acquisition of the hereditary building rights for 153,000 square meters of space in the Frankfurt-Griesheim industrial park from SGL Carbon.
- Advising Dow on its investment in the LNG Terminal company Hanseatic Energy Hub.
- Advised AIF Capital Group on the acquisition of a residential complex for assisted living in Braunschweig, Germany for the open-ended health care fund AIF Fürsorge I. The seller of the property is Primonial REIM S.C.A. SICAV-FIS, a Luxembourg special fund managed by Primonial REIM Group. The residential complex consists of three connected building sections and provides for 215 nursing care places. The long-term lease agreement with Pflege- und Therapiezentrum Wendhausen GmbH runs until at least 2045.
- Advising DIC on the acquisition of three office properties from TPG Real Estate's “Technology Park portfolio" in Cologne.
- Advised LaSalle Investment Management KVG mbH on the acquisition of the office building “KONTOR” for its open-ended pan-European fund E-REGI. Kontor is part of the development project "Im Wirtschaftswunder" on the former Commerzbank site in Berlin-Schöneberg. It comprises approx. 10,000 sqm of rental space, let long-term to the agricultural seed producer KWS. Seller is the real estate fund PW Real Estate Fund III, which is affiliated with Aermont Capital.
- Advised LaSalle Investment Management KVG mbH on the acquisition of the office building “Economic Quarter” in Hamburg's City Süd for its pan-European fund Encore+. The Economic Quarter has 28,000 m² of rental space on ten floors. The total property currently has a WALT of 8 years with an annual rent of EUR 5 million. Seller is the asset manager Blackrock.
- Advised Credit Suisse Asset Management Immobilien KAG on the disposal of the shopping center “Rathaus Galerie” in downtown Essen to a joint venture between Henderson Park and HBB Hanseatische Betreuungs- und Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH. The established shopping center comprises approx. 31,000 sqm of rental space with the anchor tenants Real, Decathlon, dm etc. Comprehensive modernisation and restructuring is to take place.
- Advised Commerz Real AG on the acquisition of the project development “Terra”. “Terra” is one of the four high-rise towers in the “Four Frankfurt” quarter on land formerly occupied by Deutsche Bank. The seller is the project developer Groß & Partner. The transaction has been structured by way of forward purchase.
- Advised Generali Real Estate S.p.A. and Italian insurer Poste Vita on the acquisition of the project development office building “The Westlight” in Berlin’s City West. The seller of the 15-story structure on the corner of Budapester Straße 35 and Kurfürstenstraße is Barings Real Estate, who will be building about 19,500 sqm office and retail space at that location by the middle of 2020.
- Advised Principal Real Estate Europe, acting as asset and transaction manager of the SCPI NOVAPIERRE ALLEMAGNE Fund managed by PAREF Gestion, on the acquisition of a commercial park in Herborn, Hesse in Germany. The vendor is AEW and the investment vehicle of Kintyre, which delivered the asset and property management services.
- Advised Gazit Germany on the disposal of shopping centre "Coens-Galerie" in Grevenbroich. The center comprises around 12,000 sqm of rental space. The anchor tenants are Netto (Edeka), DM-Drogeriemarkt as well as C&A Mode, Medimax und CCC Schuhe. The total property currently has a WALT of 4.5 years with an annual rent of € 1.1 million.
- Advised Schroder Real Estate on the disposal of office building Europa Arkaden I, Bratustraße 9/Europaplatz 2-3, in Darmstadt to Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate (Warburg-HIH Invest). The multi-tenant property offers rental space of around 8,000 sqm and 93 underground parking spaces. The main tenant is Arkadis with around 4,000 sqm. The consulting, project management and engineering company extended its lease contract by five years at the end of 2017. The total occupancy rate is 91%. Warburg-HIH intends to contribute the acquisition to Immobilien-Spezial-AIF Deutschland Selektiv Immobilien Invest.
- Advised Generali Real Estate S.p.A. on the acquisition of the land mark building “Marienforum” located in the heart of the banking district of Frankfurt am Main. The Marienforum has been developed by a joint venture between Perella Weinberg Real Estate Funds and Pecan Development. The property comprises eleven floors and will serve as new headquarter for ABN AMRO bank in Frankfurt.
- Advised Ares Management L.P. on the sale of a building complex with 26,600 sqm office and laboratory space and 407 parking spaces in Neubiberg near Munich to SCPI Eurovalys. The property consisting of eight building sections was erected in 2002 and renovated between 2011 and 2015. The purchase price is EUR 59 million.
- Advised Generali Real Estate S.p.A. on the disposal of the multi-tenant office building in Frankfurt Ostend. The property located at Hanauer-Landstraße 151-153/Ferdinand-Happ-Straße 32 comprises around 8,400 sqm of lettable space and is currently let 85%.
- Advised Concarus Real Estate Invest, a company of the May & Porth Group, on the acquisition of the "BahnhofsCenter" in Gelsenkirchen from the Cerberus Group. The property located right near the main station has about 13,000 sqm retail and service space and about 310 parking spaces in a parking garage.
- Advised the open real estate fund BERENBERG Real Estate Berlin, which was set-up by Berenberg Bank as real estate manager and Universal-Investment, on the acquisition of the shopping and district center "Neumann Forum" in Berlin-Pankow from the Hamburg real estate company RI Partners. The "Neumann Forum" has a lettable area of around 26,500 sqm with more than 270 parking. Tenants of the almost fully let property are large retail chains, a privately-owned school, a kindergarden as well as a retirement home.
- Advised Concarus on the acquisition of the "Circoleum" office ensemble from the Munich Real I. S. Group. The Circoleum, which was built in 1994 has about 21,100 sqm of usable space and 449 parking spaces, is mainly leased from the Fresenius Group. It was sold from the closed-end real estate fund Bayernfonds "Circoleum", which was placed in 2002.
- Advised Art-Invest Real Estate Funds on sale of the office building "Am Mozartplatz" in Frankfurt to Park Lane Investors Group for further project development.
- Advised LaSalle Investment on the acquisition of a 16,000 sqm commercial building "Am Friedensplatz" in Bonn by way of sale-and-leaseback for a club of investors from Sparkasse Koeln/Bonn. The property serves as local headquarter of Sparkasse Koeln/Bonn.
- Advised INTOWN Property Group in relation to a 43,000 sqm lease agreement entered into with Deutsche Bundesbank with respect to all floors of the Frankfurt located landmark building Frankfurt Büro Center (FBC). This mandate was one of the largest lease agreements in the Frankfurt banking district.
- Advised the open real estate fund BERENBERG Real Estate Hamburg, which was set-up by Joh. Berenberg, Gossler & Co. KG (Real Estate Office) as real estate manager and Universal-Investment, on the acquisition of the office and retail complex "Neues Steintor" from a pension fund located in Northern Germany. The entire ensemble "Neues Steintor" characterizes Hamburg’s skyline with its two office towers and has a lettable area of around 34,000 sqm with more than 600 parking spaces in an integrated parking garage.
- Advised Credit Suisse Asset Management Immobilien KAG on sale of the shopping centers "Rathaus-Galerie", Leverkusen (approx. 37,000 sqm), "Mercado-Center", Nuremberg (approx. 43,500 sqm) and "Le Befane", Rimini as the so-called "Melody Portfolio" to Union Investment. The transaction is considered one of the largest shopping center transactions in Germany in 2016/2017.
- Advised GAZIT Globe plc. on sale of the shopping center "Casinopark Wentorf" (approx. 12,500 sqm) located in the area of Hamburg to a local development company.
- Advised Credit Suisse Asset Management Immobilien KAG on sale of the shopping center “SMC” located in Frankfurt/Oder with a total sales area of approx. 25,000 sqm to a Luxembourg based private equity investor. Advised a private bank in connection with the acquisition of the office tower “Tri Tower“ with more than 10,000 m² in Hamburg.
- Advised a family office on the acquisition of 15 highstreet properties (“Sepia portfolio”) in West Germany, among others in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Göttingen and Landshut.
- Advised a joint venture regarding the acquisition of the „Lucida“ portfolio consisting of 28 retail shopping centers in various German cities from Hatfield Philips International.
- Advised a real estate company on the acquisition of an industrial park portfolio with six properties in the metropolitan regions Hamburg, Berlin and Rhine-Main with a total lettable area of around 67,300 m² from GE Capital and an investor group represented by Coresis.
- Advised a joint venture on the sale of a portfolio of 23 retail and shopping centers with a total lettable area of around 273,000 m² to Rockspring Investment Managers.
- Advised an international bank on the structured use of around 70 properties used by the insolvent Praktiker AG Group (“Max Bahr portfolio“) to various investors by way of individual and portfolio transactions.
- Advised a real estate company on the acquisition of the center “Neustadt Centrum” in Halle an der Saale by way of an asset deal. The shopping center has a lettable area of more than 30,700 m² with more than 60 different stores and practices.
- Advised a global multi-asset investment manager on the sale of various properties (among others office and logistics) in the context of asset deals.
- Advised a fund manager in connection with the acquisition of an office property Trakehner Straße 5 and 7-9 in Frankfurt.
- Advised a private equity investor on the sale of an office property in Berlin as well as a business property in Hamburg.
- Advised a global multi-asset investment manager on the sale of a property in Frankfurt “Bockenheimer Landstraße 101“.
- Advised a project developer and investor on the acquisition of an office center in Hamburg, Südstraße 72-79 by way of an asset deal.
- Advice of a project developer and investor on the EUR 47 million acquisition of the real estate complex “Thiemann Quartier“ in Berlin. The Thiemann Quartier on Thiemannstr. 1-11 in Berlin-Neukölln has a total area of around 53,000 m² and comprises 15 buildings with commercial space for production studios, offices as well as space for retail, storage and leisure.
- Advised a private bank on negotiations regarding a leasing contract for an area of around 9,000 m² “Spiegel Hochhaus”.
- Advised a project developer and investor on negotiations of a rental agreement with a hardware store retailer and the subsequent sale of the property by way of an asset deal.
- Advised a joint venture on the sale of the shopping center “Sky Plaza Lübeck” to Invesco Real Estate.
- Advised a private bank on the acquisition of a project development in Hamburg (“Opera Offices Neo”) from DIC AG.
- Advised an asset manager on the sale of mixed-use properties “BL 72” in Frankfurt for the German open real estate fund “CS Eureal”.
- Advised a real estate company regarding the sale of a portfolio consisting of a shopping center in “Tondo” (Hamburg) and two retail parks in Berlin.
- Advised a bank on the restructuring and refinancing of a EUR 26 million financing for the acquisition of logistics and production sites with the subsequent transfer of the credit risk to investors by way of secured bonded loans.
- Advised a bank regarding the restructuring and refinancing of a loan (around EUR 300 million), with GSG Asset GmbH & Co. Verwaltungs KG as debtor.
- Advised a bank on the sale of an office building “Opernpalais“ in Frankfurt.
Doctor’s degree (PhD in law, sports law), University of Kiel
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)
Magister iuris, University of Glasgow, Scotland
First State Law Examination
University of Mainz
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Real Estate – Legal 500 Germany 2023
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Real Estate – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018
- With the addition of Philip Schaefer at the beginning of 2017 Mayer Brown's Frankfurt practice was strengthened regarding "business sense and industry knowledge" and also broadened its "strong international platform". – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018