"quick thinker and excellent strategist with an overview" (competitor)JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
Joachim J. Modlich is a partner in the Düsseldorf Office of Mayer Brown and a member of the firm’s Partnership Board.
He is a corporate/M&A lawyer advising on corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. Joachim frequently advises institutional including private equity investors. In real estate matters, Joachim represents international real estate investors including real estate private equity investors in connection with investments in German properties, property companies and investment platforms. He also advises on a broad range of non-contentious construction and engineering matters.
Joachim is a frequent panel speaker and teaches "joint ventures" at a German university.
- Advised BENTELER Group on the sale of its hot rolling mill in Shreveport, Louisiana, USA, by way of share deal to Tenaris.
- Advised on sale of majority stake in Theobald Software.
- Advised Avedon Capital in the acquisition of Spindel- und Lagerungstechnik Fraureuth GmbH, a German specialized ball bearings and spindle manufacturer; the sellers, four individual founders, remain invested with a majority stake.
- Advised Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Schuster on the sale of SAE IT-systems GmbH & Co. KG, a leading manufacturer of high-performance remote control engineering and station control technology for the electricity, water, gas, district heating and infrastructure sectors to the Lacroix Group
- Advised Med 360° AG, the largest German health care service provider in the sector of, besides others, radiology in the sale by a number of shareholders of the majority of shares in the company to Sana Kliniken and Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- Advised TUI AG in the acquisition of a minority stake in pearkwork AG, a German travel technology company.
- Advised Avedon Capital Partners in the acquisition of Seebach GmbH, a company active in the engineering production of industrial filters as well as, years later, the ultimate sale of Seebach GmbH.
- Advised Avedon Capital Partners in the acquisition (including co-investment of institutional co-investors) of Tesch Inkasso Forderungsmanagement GmbH, a company active in the debt collection business, subsequent “add on” acquisitions (including Transcom CMS Forderungsmanagment GmbH) as well as, years later, the ultimate sale of the Tesch group.
- Advised PRC-based Spearhead Integrated Marketing in the acquisition of smaato AG and smaato Inc., a provider of a real-time mobile advertising plattform, from a number of shareholders.
- Advised PRC-based Hunan Boyun Dongfang in the acquisition of Wolf Group, a group of German and international companies active in the tooling and coating technology.
- Advised Avedon Capital in the sale of GRW Bearing Group, a producer of high precision bearings.
- Advised a group of shareholders in the sale of LED Linear Gmbh, a provider of high quality linear LED lightning solutions.
- Advised Deutsche Post AG in relation to three joint ventures in the freight forwarding business.
- Advised Deutsche Post AG in the formation of a joint venture involving Luftfrachtsicherheit-Service GmbH, a company active in the air freight security sector.
- Advised Deutsche Post AG in the formation of its "Aerologic" joint venture with Lufthansa Cargo AG forming a new freight and express airline.
- Advised Deutsche Post AG in the acquisition of all shares in nugg.ad AG predictive behavioral targeting.
- Advised Deutsche Post Worldnet Business Consulting GmbH and Lufthansa Airplus Servicekarten GmbH in the sale and transfer of all shares in trimondo GmbH to IBX Integrated Business Exchange AB.
- Advised a fund managed by NIBC Capital Partners in the acquisition of Gebr. Reinfurt Partners GmbH & Co. KG and related affiliates.
- Advised ICI, plc. in the sale of its German "Synetix" business to Johnson Matthey, plc.
- Advised dahm Aktiengesellschaft in the sale of its medical software business comprising of Fliegel Data GmbH and herbert dahm Datensysteme GmbH to systema GmbH.
- Advised Orthofix International N.V. in the acquisition of IMES International Medical Supplies Distribution GmbH from various shareholders in several steps.
- Advised the sole shareholder of Metronic AG in the sale of all shares in Metronic AG to Koenig & Bauer AG.
- Advised Japan based Zuken, Inc. in the acquisition of all shares in CIM-TEAM Technische Informatik GmbH and its affiliates and the subsequent sale of its Brazilian subsidiary.
Real Estate/Construction and Engineering
- Advised Benteler Group on the engineering and construction of a hot rolling mill in Louisiana, USA.
- Advised Benteler Group on the engineering and construction of a fully automated German central distribution hub in the port of Duisburg.
- Advised Dow Chemicals in the construction and engineering of a 190 MW CoGeneration Power Plant providing Dow's largest German production site with power and steam.Advised Multiplex Group in relation to the acquisition of 94.9 % of the shares in several partnerships owning retail properties in Germany.
- Advised Universal Investment in several acquisitions of portfolio of retail assets in Germany from several sellers including retails.
- Advised Deutsche Post DHL in the sale of an international portfolio of logistics assets in the United Stated, Germany, Italy, Thailand and Australia to several institutional real estate investors.
- Advised AEW in the acquisition of an office building in Berlin with MTV as tenant.
- Advised Allco Finance Group in setting up a German real estate investment platform under the "Evolution" brand involving minority co-investors.
- Advised Evolution in relation to the acquisition of German office and retail properties.
- Advised funds managed by JER Real Estate Advisers (UK) Ltd. in relation to the formation of three joint ventures with German co-investors as platforms for investments in Germany covering a wide range of asset classes including office, retail and residential.
- Advised funds managed by JER Real Estate Advisers (UK) Ltd. on the acquisition of the Marriott Munich Hotel from Marriott International Inc..
- Advised JER Real Estate Advisers (UK) in relation to numerous property acquisitions covering a wide range of asset classes including office, retail and residential.
- Advised fund managed by JER Real Estate Advisers (UK) Limited. in relation to several asset management and portfolio management agreements.
- Advised Deutsche Post AG on the sale of its hotel- und boarding house business to an institutional investor.
- Advised Deutsche Post DHL in relation to real estate matters for its new aviation hub/commercial airport in Leipzig.
- Advised Forum Partners on setting up the "Centerscape" acquisition structure for a Germany-wide retail portfolio structuring a joint venture with a local partner and a related asset management agreement.
- Advised Losan Hotels in the acquisition of the Steigenberger Hotel in Berlin.
- Advised Ascott Residences Trust in the acquisition of two apartment hotels in Berlin and Munich managed by The Ascott Limited and leased to Citadines Apart’Hotel.
- Advised Westmont Hospitality Group in the acquisition of two hotels in Düsseldorf and Dresden operated under the Hilton brand.
- Advised US Can Corp. in relation to a sale of logistics assets.
- Advising Benteler Steel/Tube in relation to the green field construction and engineering of a tube mill in Louisiana.
- Advised EC Harris in relation to a wide range of real estate and engineering related matters in Germany.
Doctor's degree (PhD in law), University of Münster
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)
Regional Court of Hagen
First State Law Examination
University of Münster
- Düsseldorf, Germany
- Lecturer for “Joint Ventures” at the Steinbeis-University (Post Graduates)
- Lecturer for “Joint Ventures” at Beck Akademie
- Regular presentations and seminars
- "often recommended" for corporate law – JUVE Handbook 2021/2022
- "often recommended" for corporate law – JUVE Handbook 2020/2021
- Recognized by The Best LawyersTM in Germany 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 for Real Estate Law
- "often recommended lawyer" in the areas of Corpoate law – JUVE Handbook 2019/2020
- "Joachim Modlich, a specialist in hotel real estate, is also recommended." – Legal 500 Germany 2019
- "We work mostly with our relationship partner, Dr Joachim Modlich, and his team and—depending on the project—his international colleagues. Joachim is a very business-minded, solution-oriented and proactive lawyer which we appreciate a lot. He keeps the team working for us as small as possible, is always on top of the matter and solves any issues that may arise with any of his colleagues. Apart from these important managerial skills, the quality of his own legal work is outstanding—always adequate for the situation and taking a risk-based approach." (client) – IFLR 1000 2019
- "often recommended lawyer" in the areas of Corpoate law – JUVE Handbook 2018/2019
- "Recommended Lawyer" in the area of Real Estate – Legal 500 Germany 2018
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the areas of Corporate and M&A – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- "excellent lawyer, great understanding for economic issues of clients" (client) – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- "quick thinker and excellent strategist with an overview" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the area of Real Estate – JUVE Handbook 2014/2015
- "precise advice showing good business sense" (…) as well as "good team" (client) – JUVE Handbook