Jasmine Chiu is a partner in the Real Estate Finance practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. Jasmine has experience in real estate legal practice and advises investment banks/commercial banks or sponsors/borrowers (private equity real estate funds, private investors, developers, public listed companies and real estate investment trusts (REITs)) on debt financings, including secured or unsecured syndicated loans and mezzanine loans.
Jasmine focuses on handling complex real estate financings relating to Hong Kong and cross border property transactions (commonly PRC, Macau, Singapore and UK). The underlying real estate transactions often involve property M&A deals by way of sale and purchase of shares in property holding companies, joint venture, acquisition of new land by way of land auction, land exchange, project development (including MTR land development and redevelopment of compulsory sale units), general conveyancing or corporate restructuring.
Jasmine is also experienced in handling onshore/offshore financing involving PRC properties (commercial and residential development projects, hotel, warehouse, acquisition financing and distress buy-outs).
Jasmine speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
- Advised a syndicate of banks in connection with HK$14.75 billion senior secured term loan financing for the acquisition of a portfolio of 17 Hong Kong shopping centres by a consortium led by Gaw Capital Partners from Link REIT. Also represented the bank group in the project's refinancing. Further represented a syndicate of banks in relation to another HK$9.169 billion senior secured financing for the acquisition and renovation of another portfolio of 12 shopping centres in Hong Kong by a separate consortium led by Gaw Capital Partners from Link REIT. The underlying acquisitions for approximately HK$23 billion and HK$12.01 billion respectively are one of the biggest sales and purchases of its kind in Hong Kong
- Advised a syndicate of banks as leading Hong Kong counsel on HK$1,900 million and RMB950 million onshore/offshore secured term loan financings in relation to a real estate project development in Beijing, PRC. The financing involves cross border lending, guarantees and securities in Hong Kong and PRC (Nei Bao Wai Dai) with an intercreditor agreement entered into between the onshore lenders and the offshore lenders.
- Advised a syndicate of banks in relation to HK$8.33 billion senior secured financing relating to acquisition of two grade A office buildings in Hong Kong. The financing accommodated complex post-acquisition restructuring options both at project level (by way of spin-off strata title to various offshore holding companies) and at sponsors' level (involving put/call options on share transfer between the sponsors and option for co-investment transfer of shares in intermediate holding companies for investment sale down to co-investors during the loan tenor).
- Advised as Hong Kong lead counsel for a syndicate of banks in relation to offshore US$201.5 million secured term loan and a syndicate of onshore banks in relation to onshore RMB338 million secured term loan, for financing the acquisition of a grade A office building in Shanghai, PRC by a leading PERE fund by way of acquiring the entire issued share capital of the Singapore holding company and financing the project development costs. The financing involves cross border lending, guarantees and securities in Hong Kong, Singapore and PRC with an intercreditor agreement entered into between the onshore lenders and the offshore lenders.
- Acted as lenders’ legal counsel relating to HK$4.385 billion term loan for financing a MTR residential development in Wong Chuk Hang, Hong Kong owned by a joint venture company of a SEHK listed company and a PRC developer.
- Acted as lenders' legal counsel relating to certain USD transferrable revolving loan facilities granted to China Ping An offshore entity involving NDRC filing with SAFE in PRC.
- Advised CMBI International Finance Limited as mandated lead arranger on a series of bridging loans in respect of Pre-IPO corporate restructuring and a syndicated Pre-IPO financing of PRC corporate group in connection with its IPO in HKEX.
- Acted as Hong Kong legal counsel for a SEHK listed company as sponsor in relation to a GBP term loan granted by an investment bank for financing the sponsor’s acquisition of a commercial building in London.
- Advised a syndicate of banks in relation to certain secured term loan facilities for financing the acquisition and renovation of 3 shopping centres (Capri Place, Savannah Place and Monterey Place) in Tseung Kwan O, Hong Kong by a JV led by Phoenix Property Investors from Wheelock Properties Limited for HK$3.38 billion.
- Advised as sponsor’s counsel on certain mezzanine loan granted by China Everbright Bank to a wholly owned subsidiary of Taiping Assets Management (HK) Company Limited for financing general working capital of the group companies.
- Advised a syndicate of banks in relation to a senior secured loan financing the acquisition of the office building at 625 King's Road, Hong Kong by a leading PERE fund from Swire Properties Limited.
- Advised a commercial bank based in Macau on the mortgage refinancing of various floors of The Center, a prime commercial building in CBD of Hong Kong.
- Advising commercial banks on various simultaneous acquisition financings involving financial assistance (mortgage and other securities from Hong Kong target companies) and whitewash procedures as exception to financial assistance under Hong Kong Companies Ordinance.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders in relation to HK$2.9 billion term loans for financing the residential development project at Sha Tin Town Lot No.601, Hong Kong, developed by a consortium led by Wang On Properties Limited and Country Garden Holdings Company Limited.
- Advised a syndicate of banks on a US$480 million secured loan for financing the acquisition of the hotel, InterContinental Hong Kong by way of acquiring the entire issued share capital in the holding company.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders in relation to certain loan facilities financing a large scale hotel development in Macau.
- Acted as lenders’ legal counsel on HK$1.198 billion facilities in relation to the acquisition of various high value houses and low-rise residential properties at Nos.8, 10 and 12 Peak Road, The Peak, Hong Kong by CSI Properties Limited and Phoenix Property Investors (PERE fund) and advised lenders on certain corporate and property holding restructurings.
- Advised as Hong Kong lead counsel for a syndicate of offshore banks in relation to offshore RMB1.321 billion secured term loan and a syndicate of onshore banks in relation to onshore RMB200 million secured term loan, for financing the acquisition of a shopping mall near Guangzhou East Railway Station, PRC, by way of acquiring the entire issued share capital in the investment holding company by a group of private investors. The financing involves cross border lending, guarantees and securities in Hong Kong and PRC with an intercreditor agreement entered into between the onshore lenders and the offshore lenders.
- Advised banks on various property development loans involving first stage of bridging loans for financing the acquisition of new land by developers from Hong Kong Government (or land rights from MTR) by way of tender or land exchange; followed by second stage of term loans for refinancing land premium and financing project development and construction costs.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
King's College London, LLM
International Financial Law
The University of Nottingham, LLB
- Hong Kong