“I wanted to send a personal thank you for the excellent support you provided to us during the last few days. This matter was complex for a number of reasons, including the fact that the employment documents appeared to be a bit mysterious! Thanks for pointing out the relevant issues, all at short notice.”A leading international bank
Hong Tran is a partner of Mayer Brown and is a Co-Firm Practice Leader of the global Employment and Benefits Group. He advises employers on compliance with employment, discrimination and privacy legislation. He also advises on strategic labour force issues including the structure of work force relationships; risk management in the employment and discrimination context; diversity and inclusion, the introduction of changes to employment arrangements; the handling of union relations; and recruitment, disciplinary and termination issues. He is experienced in handling employment disputes, discrimination and privacy complaints/issues. He represents employers engaged in legal proceedings at the various court levels from the Labour Tribunal through to the Court of Final Appeal. He also advises employers in responding to investigations by the Labour Department, Equal Opportunities Commission and the Office of the Commissioner for Personal Data Privacy.
He has been ranked as Band 1 lawyer in employment Hong Kong Law by Chambers Asia Pacific (2017-2021) and a "Leading individual" in employment law by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015-2022). He has been recognised by Who's Who Legal (2015) as being among the world's leading lawyers for employment and labour practice in Hong Kong. He was named as one of the "pre-eminent practitioners in the world" and "one of the world's leading lawyers" by Guide to the World's Leading Labour & Employment Lawyers (2011). He was also named a Leading Asia Law Labour & Employment Lawyer by the Asia Law & Practice Survey (2008).
Hong has contributed to leading employment and discrimination law textbooks "Chitty on Contracts, Hong Kong Specific Contracts" Chapter 12, "Employment Law and Practice in Hong Kong" Chapters 3 & 5 and "Discrimination Law and Practice in Hong Kong" Chapters 4 and 7 (and Co-General Editor).
Hong is co-Chair of the Australian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong People Forum and a member of the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce Manpower Committee. He Chairs Mayer Brown's Diversity and Inclusion Committee in Asia.
- Chiu Chow
Defended a large airline and its subsidiary in a claim made by a number of pilots for certain employment-related payments in the High Court.
Acted for an exclusive members' club in defence of a disability discrimination claim brought by the former employee in the District Court.
Advised an operating company of a longstanding landmark restaurant in Hong Kong on a high profile redundancy exercise where the employment of around half of the employees (including many long serving employees) being made redundant.
Advised an online food delivery company on all its employment-related issues in Hong Kong, including structuring the arrangement with riders, managing strikes, termination of employment, data privacy issues, employees' compensation matters, post termination restrictions and ad hoc employment advice from time to time. We also act for client in relation to individual claims by riders including claims under the Employment Ordinance and the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance.
Advised a multinational private equity, alternative asset management and financial services firm based in New York on the termination of employment of the founder and the members of the senior management to take back control of the business.
Reviewed the payment arrangements of a very large property developer in Hong Kong for all the employees of the companies in the group and advised the client on the approach to rectify and resolve any potential claim/dispute arising from more than a decade of underpayment of certain entitlements to thousands of employees.
Advised a major global music company in relation to the departure en masse of one of its teams to join a competitor. The issues included advising on breach of contract and leaks and misuse of its confidential information.
Advised a number of major Hong Kong organisations in relation to varying the terms and conditions of employment including reducing staff salaries and benefits unilaterally.
Advised in relation to the protection of confidential information and restrictive covenants where employees terminate their employment and leave en masse to join a competitor.
- Advised a government organisation in relation to a disability discrimination complaint made against it to the Hong Kong Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Conducted internal investigation for global financial institution into allegations of race discrimination spanning APAC, EMEA and Americas.
Queensland University of Technology, LLM
Queensland University of Technology, LLB
Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)
Inscription au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- Australia, Queensland
- Vice Chair, Australian Chamber of Commerce - People Forum
- Editorial Board Member, LexisNexis Practical Guidance - Employment
- Employers' Federation of Hong Kong
- Annual Conference Organising Committee, Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management
- Manpower Committee, Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
- Advisory Board Member, Women In Law Hong Kong
- Highly Commended - Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year - Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: Asia-Pacific (2020)
- Leading Individual - Employment (Hong Kong) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015-2022)
- Band 1 - Employment: Hong Kong-based (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Band 1 - Employment: Hong Kong Law (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2017-2021)
- Leading Individual - Employment: Hong Kong Law (China) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012-2016)
- Notable Practitioner - Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2019-2022, 2022/23)
- Leading Lawyer – Who’s Who Legal: Labour and Employment (2015)
- Leading Lawyer – Who’s Who Legal: Pensions and Benefits (2015)
- Featured Labour and Employment Lawyer – Expert Guides (2012)
- Up and Coming - Employment: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011)
- “Hong Tran is a huge pleasure to work with and very sharp.” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- “Hong Tran has the commercial savvy and decisiveness to make tough decisions." – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- "Hong Tran is speedy and very effective in working out strategies for clients." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- “[L]ogical and detail-driven.” – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
- “[Having a] strong reputation” in the market. – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "[W]orks very hard,” and “very easy-going personality and easy to work with." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- "[A] practical problem solver in every sense,” and “[with the ability to] think of what works not only legally, but also at a human level." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- "[H]ighly personable, knowledgeable and professional." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013)
- "One of the world's leading practitioners" - The International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers (2013)
- “I wanted to send a personal thank you for the excellent support you provided to us during the last few days. This matter was complex for a number of reasons, including the fact that the employment documents appeared to be a bit mysterious! Thanks for pointing out the relevant issues, all at short notice.” - A leading international bank
- "I am truly grateful for Hong's approach, flexibility, amazing patience & understanding. He demonstrates professionalism, tremendous knowledge (at his fingertips), sound judgement, analytical ability and great listening skills." - International Fleet Manager for a leading international airline
- "You had given us the confidence to be able to call on you at all times and whenever we had questions and doubts, or needed reassurance." - Former Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Sino-Forest Corporation, a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- "During the course of my 26 years of career , I have worked with many lawyers and professionals, many of which are from prominent international firms in North America, Europe and Asia, and I can truly say that you are certainly among the very few best that I have worked with and come to respect. Your commitment, professionalism, and most of all, your thoughtfulness and care for the well being of your client have meant a great deal to us." - Former Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Sino-Forest Corporation, a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange