Wayne Cheng is a counsel in the Real Estate practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. He advises multifaceted aspects of real estate including real estate M&A, project conveyancing, legal compliance with first-hand sale related regulations, handling complaints and inquiry from regulatory authorities (e.g. Sales of First-hand Residential Properties Authority, Estate Agents Authority and Consumer Council), project leasing, strategic acquisition, development and redevelopment of land, compulsory sale applications, money lenders, mortgagee's sale, rating appeals, stamp duty appeals and PropTech (e.g. app development, online registration, electronic payment of purchase price, data automation, data sharing platform, etc.).
- Represented a leading developer in the HK$1.85 billion sale of a residential site in Mount Parker Road, involving ex civil servants co-operative building society scheme by way of disposal of the equity interest in various property holding companies.
- Represented a reputable Chinese developer to acquire a large residential site in Kowloon through the acquisition of the shares and shareholders loan in the property holding companies at a consideration of over HK$2.5 billion.
- Represented one of the largest Chinese developer in the successful acquisition of a significant number of units (over 80% undivided shares) in several residential buildings in Hong Kong through the acquisition of the equity interest in a number of property holding companies involving a total consideration of over HK$650 million, paving the way for compulsory sale applications for redevelopment.
- Represented Swire Properties to sell 10 office floors on the High Zone, the commercial area and the car-parking spaces of Cityplaza Three and the entirety of Cityplaza Four in Taikoo Shing on the Hong Kong Island through the sale of the entire equity interest in a property holding entity.
- Acted for a key developer to acquire the Government's interest in Cornwall House to complete its title consolidation in TaiKoo Place, Quarry Bay which involved an exchange of 10 floors of office space in Cityplaza Three for all the areas in Cornwall House owned by the Government consisting of 8 floors. This is an important transaction to the developer because this is the last piece of acquisition to consolidate the title of the entire TaiKoo Place to facilitate its redevelopment of three existing industrial buildings into two Grade A office towers. The transaction involves the drafting of complicated legal documentation because, upon completion of the exchange, the Government will become a co-owner of Cityplaza Three. Apart from the deed of mutual covenant, a tailor-made sub-deed of mutual covenant is prepared for the office accommodation of Cityplaza Three. The developer is also required to grant various rights of way, easements and right of use to the Government to facilitate the use and operation of its office premises in Cityplaza Three.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
The University of Hong Kong, BSocSc, Government & Laws
Inscriptions au Barreau
- New York
- Hong Kong
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, Hong Kong Society of Notaries