Managing Partner of Tokyo office
Japan, Global Energy, Chemicals
Japanese companies highly regard Rupert Burrows for his broad experience in projects work, particularly international infrastructure projects in the energy and chemical sectors and related corporate M&A. Rupert has lived and worked in Japan for more than 25 years and is fluent in Japanese.
His clients include all the major Japanese trading houses as well as a large number of Japanese utilities and banks. Businesses turn to him regularly for counseling on cross-border acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and other investments.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Rupert was the managing partner of the Tokyo office of another international law firm.
Power and Water
- A Japan-US nuclear alliance company as consortium leader of one of the three shortlisted bidders for the UAE Civil Nuclear Program.
- A Japanese multinational industrial company as EPC contractor on the PBMR nuclear power project in South Africa.
- A Japanese trading company on its acquisition of a 44% stake in Myanmar Power Pte Ltd.
- A Japanese-Thai JV as owner in relation to the EPC contracts for 12 SPP Projects in Thailand.
- Japan’s Top 100 Lawyers – Asia Business Law Journal’s The A-List
- Hall of Fame – Projects and Energy: International Firms and Joint Ventures, Japan – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Leading Individual – Projects and Energy: International Firms and Joint Ventures, Japan – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Highly Regarded Lawyer – Banking, Japan – IFLR 1000
- Highly Regarded Lawyer – Project Finance, Japan – IFLR 1000
- University of Birmingham, LLB
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Japan (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi)