We frequently represent corporations, partnerships, financial institutions, insurers and governmental entities before the leading international arbitration bodies. We also advise our clients on how to reduce risk when entering into cross-border transactions and investments.
Advocacy. Multi-national operations encounter varying legal regimes, institutions, and customs, bringing with them both opportunities and risks. We draw on our global resources to ensure knowledgeable planning and to resolve disputes efficiently, whether through arbitration, mediation, structured negotiation, or other means. In resolving both commercial and investor-state disputes, we apply our extensive experience in marshalling complex evidence, analyzing applicable law and procedures, developing and evaluating alternative strategies, and engaging in compelling written and oral advocacy.
Risk Management. International business operations depend on a thorough understanding and management of the risks inherent in transacting and investing abroad. We help our clients manage those risks by drafting effective dispute resolution agreements and structuring transactions to take full advantage of the substantive protections available under the expanding network of international trade and investment treaties. We are particularly adept at ensuring that any disputes will be resolved in a neutral forum, rather than in the courts of the opposing party or host country.
Experience With the World’s Major Commercial Arbitral Institutions. Our team has extensive experience with the international institutions that administer international arbitration and dispute settlement – as advocates and, in some cases, arbitrators–in the following institutions:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- DIFC LCIA Arbitration Centre
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) of the American Arbitration Association
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- Thai Arbitration Institute
- The Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- The LCIA and the Mauritius International Arbitration Centre Limited (MIAC)
- Vietnam Arbitration Institute
Practice at a Glance
- Our International Arbitration practice is comprised of over forty lawyers located in the world's major business centers in the US, EU and Asia.
- Our experience in resolving global disputes extends to many industries, including energy, manufacturing, construction, telecommunications, information technology, and insurance.
- Our international arbitration lawyers frequently work with other global practice groups at Mayer Brown to provide effective and tailored legal solutions. We have established a number of cross-practice groups to develop detailed knowledge of our clients’ industries and businesses and provide focused, practical, and comprehensive representation.