"a well-qualified and knowledgeable lawyer"Chambers Latin America
Gustavo Fernandes de Andrade is a senior partner of the Litigation and Arbitration practices in the Rio de Janeiro office.
Gustavo holds an LL.M degree, focused on Arbitration, International Law and European Law, from the University of Cambridge (2005), and an LL.M degree, focused on Constitutional Law, International Law and Comparative Law, from the University of Pennsylvania (1999). He is admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association for the Rio de Janeiro and Distrito Federal sections.
With more than 20 years of experience, Gustavo customarily represents companies in complex litigation and arbitration procedures, in disputes arising of engineering and construction projects, energy, telecommunications, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts and financial transactions, with a focus on all areas of civil, commercial and constitutional law.
Gustavo has acted as counsel before the major international and national arbitration institutions such as the ICC, LCIA, FGV, CAMARB, CBMA, CAM-CCBC, ABDM and CIESP/FIESP. He has acted before the Superior Court of Justice in cases of recognition of foreign arbitral awards.
He has recently joined the panel of arbitrators of CBMA and CAMARB. Sources refer to him as an “experienced litigator[s] and arbitrator[s](…)” (Latin Lawyer 250/ 2016).
Gustavo publishes extensively in his practice areas, especially on the subject of arbitration involving the public administration. He is also constantly invited to give lectures.
Gustavo has been with Tauil & Chequer in association with Mayer Brown LLP. since 2014. Previously, he was a partner at Sergio Bermudes Advogados. He is also a state attorney for the state of Rio de Janeiro.
In addition to his native Portuguese, Gustavo is fluent in English and has basic knowledge in Italian.
Cases in which Gustavo has successfully represented clients in major arbitral disputes include, among others:
- ICC proceedings in a dispute of US$39 million regarding the acquisition of a large property in the northeast region of Brazil.
- ICC proceedings regarding an EPC contract for the construction of a steel mill in the southeast region of Brazil. Amount in dispute: US$38 million.
- ICC proceedings regarding disputes on EPC contract for the construction of a hydroelectric power plant in the north region of brazil. Amount in dispute: US$500 million.
- CCBC proceedings representing a telecommunication company in a dispute against a direct competitor seeking US$100 million in damages.
- FGV proceedings in a dispute regarding a PPA contract representing a steel company. Amount in dispute: US$80 million.
- ICC proceedings in London regarding a dispute over the control of a major telecommunication company in Brazil. Amount in dispute: US$400 million.
- Represented a bank in proceedings before the Centro Brasileiro de Mediação e Arbitragem (CBMA) involving a $US1 billion dispute with a shareholder on the exercise of a put option of shares of a large mining company in Brazil.
- ICC proceedings in New York representing a Spanish company in a dispute over a share and purchase agreement of a sugar mill company in Brazil. Amount in dispute: US$100 million.
- CBMA proceedings representing a bank in an arbitration of a US$3 billion dispute over the distribution of dividends in a large mining company.
- CMA proceedings regarding a dispute against the Brazilian government on a concession contract for the transport of gas from Bolivia. Amount in dispute: US$230 million.
- LCIA proceedings regarding a US$200 million dispute involving the construction of a pipeline in Brazil.
Cambridge University, LLM
University of Pennsylvania, LLM
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF), BA in Law
- "Experienced litigators and arbitrators Gustavo Fernandes and Roberto Figueiredo." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Litigation
- "is well regarded for his experience assisting leading corporations in domestic and cross-border arbitration issues." Chambers Latin America 2017 - Arbitration
- "He has shown great knowledge of international arbitration matters and helped us to develop valuable strategies for a complex case." Chambers Latin America 2017 - Arbitration
- "Experienced litigators and arbitrators Gustavo Fernandes and Roberto Figueiredo joined from Sergio Bermudes Advogados." Latin Lawyer 250 2016 - Litigation