Jenny W. Y. Yu
Jenny W. Y. Yu advises insurers, insurance intermediaries, and financial institutions on a range of insurance regulatory matters, including compliance, licence applications, regulatory investigations, and inquiries. Jenny advises clients on various insurance products, including life insurance, financial lines, public , and products liability. Jenny acts for clients as coverage and defence counsel on professional indemnity and Directors & Officers' claims. Jenny advises clients on policy review and development, issues relating to insurable interests and statutory trusts, and insurance intermediary licensing regimes.
She previously worked in-house at an international life insurer in Hong Kong, working closely with business units on product development, Insurtech projects, and insurance agent compensation packages and advising on various regulatory and compliance issues.
- A general insurer in a trade credit insurance arbitration involving structured trade finance arrangements in which we successfully defended the arbitration. The case involved issues of estoppel based on representations, material nondisclosure and misrepresentation as to the true nature of the transactions.
- A general insurer in relation to regulatory queries regarding its investment activities relating to foreign currency investment and intra-day trading.
- An international life insurance company in relation to a self-reporting incident to the Insurance Authority and SFC in relation to certain longstanding investment-linked assurance (ILAS) products. The matter involved an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue (delving into the system setup and programming) and advising on rectification and remedial steps, among others; assisting the client throughout the investigation; and advising on the rectification and remedial steps in preparing and filing the self-reporting notification that resulted in no further action being brought against client.
- The former CFO and company secretary of a listed company on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and disciplinary proceedings by the Securities and Futures Commission relating to transfers of IPO funds by the chairman for alleged acquisitions that did not materialize. We were successful in negotiating and obtaining a favorable disqualification period for the CFO.
- Recognised Practitioner - Insurance: Contentious (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific
- "Jenny Yu is very hard working." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- University of Auckland, LLB, with Honours
- University of Auckland, Bachelor of Commerce
- Hong Kong
- Australia, New South Wales
- New Zealand