'Duncan Watson pulls the stops out to complete instructions within even very tight deadlines. He looks at legal questions analytically without making assumptions and thereby achieves better outcomes'.Legal 500 2020
Duncan Watson is a Scottish qualified lawyer and counsel in the Pensions practice of the London office. He is a member of the pensions investment team advising institutional pension funds and asset managers on investment management work, including all kinds of investment funds, liability-driven investment mandates, custody and stock lending.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Duncan worked for a leading global investment bank where he worked in its asset management division and particularly advised on segregated mandates, all aspects of funds (including custody and distribution) and general commercial and regulatory issues. He also advised on various wealth management matters and the sale of wealth management business. Duncan has six years experience of working in-house in the asset management industry, as well as advising on asset management matters in private practice for a number of years.
University of Aberdeen, Diploma in Legal Practice
University of Aberdeen, LLB (Hons)
- Association of Pension Lawyers Investment and Defined Contribution Committee
- Listed as a key lawyer for Pensions. Legal 500 2022.
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' and recommended for Pensions. ‘The pensions investment team lead by Edward Jewitt and supported by Duncan Watson deliver a high service level of detailed advice over a wide spectrum of asset classes and investment vehicles‘. ‘Duncan Watson has been key in dealing with more challenging issues on mandates as they arise. He has established good working relationships across the supplier/client base we have, which I believe are improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the work undertaken‘. Legal 500 2021: Pensions.
- Counsel Duncan Watson has significant experience of pension fund investments. ‘The team compares favourably with its peers in the market, providing excellent legal expertise combined with extensive knowledge of the private funds market at a reasonable cost level.' ‘Good funds lawyers – very responsive and technically astute.‘ Legal 500 2021: Private Funds.
- 'Duncan Watson pulls the stops out to complete instructions within even very tight deadlines. He looks at legal questions analytically without making assumptions and thereby achieves better outcomes'. Legal 500 2020.