‘Duncan Watson understands our business, how we operate internally, our risk appetite and the need for pragmatic solutions.’ He 'provides very clear communications on what’s required, issues solutions to enable us to manage a varying workload. He is always available to discuss any concerns and effectively manages difficult issues.’Legal 500 2023
Duncan Watson is a Scottish qualified lawyer and counsel in the Pensions practice of the London office. He leads the Pensions Investment team and has extensive experience in advising institutional pension funds, institutional investors and asset managers on investment management work, including all kinds of investment funds, liability-driven investment mandates, custody and stock lending. He works regularly with our Derivatives, Tax and Corporate teams in London and internationally to deliver a full investment service to his clients.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Duncan worked for a leading global investment bank where he worked in its asset management division and particularly advised on segregated mandates, all aspects of funds (including custody and distribution) and general commercial and regulatory issues. He also advised on various wealth management matters and the sale of wealth management business. Duncan has six years experience of working in-house in the asset management industry, as well as advising on asset management matters in private practice for over 10 years.
Duncan is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers Investment and Defined Contribution Committee. He has also been a member of the Firm’s LGBT+ Steering Committee since joining us in January 2017, and was elected as its Co-Chair for 2018.
University of Aberdeen, Diploma in Legal Practice
University of Aberdeen, LLB (Hons)
- Association of Pension Lawyers Investment and Defined Contribution Committee
- ‘My key contact is Duncan Watson, who provides very clear communications on what’s required, issues solutions to enable us to manage a varying workload. He is always available to discuss any concerns and effectively manages difficult issues.’ ‘Duncan Watson understands our business, how we operate internally, our risk appetite and the need for pragmatic solutions.’ Legal 500 2023.
- Listed as a key lawyer for Pensions. Legal 500 2022.
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' and recommended for Pensions. ‘The pensions investment team lead by Edward Jewitt and supported by Duncan Watson deliver a high service level of detailed advice over a wide spectrum of asset classes and investment vehicles‘. ‘Duncan Watson has been key in dealing with more challenging issues on mandates as they arise. He has established good working relationships across the supplier/client base we have, which I believe are improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the work undertaken‘. Legal 500 2021: Pensions.
- Counsel Duncan Watson has significant experience of pension fund investments. ‘The team compares favourably with its peers in the market, providing excellent legal expertise combined with extensive knowledge of the private funds market at a reasonable cost level.' ‘Good funds lawyers – very responsive and technically astute.‘ Legal 500 2021: Private Funds.
- 'Duncan Watson pulls the stops out to complete instructions within even very tight deadlines. He looks at legal questions analytically without making assumptions and thereby achieves better outcomes'. Legal 500 2020.