"He's an excellent technical lawyer." "James is professional, efficient and patient."Chambers UK 2022
James Taylor is a partner in the Banking & Finance practice of the London office. James’ practice focuses on public and private offerings of debt and equity-linked securities, advising issuers and underwriters on the standalone issue and offering of retail and wholesale medium term notes, commercial paper, certificates of deposit, warrants, convertible and exchangeable bonds and covered bonds, as well as the establishment and update of platforms for the issuance of multiple types of securities, the structuring of liability management transactions and the provision of ongoing advice on securities laws, corporate governance and stock exchange requirements related to them.
James has, in recent years, advised state-owned and privately owned companies and underwriting banks on some of the most cutting edge equity-linked instruments to come to market, including mandatory convertible bonds issued as part of recapitalisation programmes and contingent capital instruments and other forms of regulatory capital issued in compliance with the Basel III guidelines.
James experience has covered a diverse range of jurisdictions, including most parts of Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Russia and the former CIS, New Zealand, Australia and Canada.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2012, James worked in the London and Moscow offices of another large international law firm, and was seconded to the emerging markets group of a major international bank. In addition to his native English, James is fluent in Russian.
Represented both issuers and arrangers on the establishment, update and maintenance of a variety of Reg S and Reg S/Rule 144A medium term note, commercial paper and covered bond programs including, amongst others:
- Türkiye Vakıflar Bankası T.A.O.'s (VakifBank) $7 billion Global Medium Term Note Programme;
- Caisse Central Desjardins du Quebec's €7 billion Global Medium Term Note Programme;
- Trade and Development Bank of Mongolia's $500 million Global Medium Term Note Programme;
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce's CAD20 billion Global Covered Bond Programme;
- Türkiye Garanti Bankası A.Ş.'s (Garanti Bank) $6 billion Global Medium Term Note Programme;
- Barclays Bank's $10 billion Global Collateralised Medium Term Note Programme;
- HSH Nordbank 's $10 billion Euro-commercial Paper and Euro-certificate of Deposit Programme;
- National Asset Management Limited’s €2.5 billion Euro-Commercial Paper Program;
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce's on the establishment and update of, and offerings of securities under, its US$20 billion Note Issuance Programme and CAD20 billion Global Covered Bond Programme;
- CIMC Fortune Holdings Limited and China International Marine Containers (Hong Kong) Limited's $450 million Euro-commercial Paper Programme supported by a Direct-pay Letter of Credit;
- HSH Nordbank's €35 billion Debt Issuance Programme for the Issue of Notes and Pfandbriefe;
- Beazley plc's £250 million Euro Medium Term Note Programme;
- Whirlpool Corporation and Whirlpool Europe B.V.'s $1 billion Euro-commercial Paper Programme;
- Türkiye İş Bankası A.Ş.'s (Isbank) $7 billion Global Medium Term Note Program;
- National Australia Bank's US$100 billion GMTN Program and US$20 billion Global Commercial Paper and Certificate of Deposit Program;
- The Dow Chemical Company's $1 billion Euro-commercial Paper Programme;
- Finansbank A.Ş’s (Finansbank) $2 billion Global Medium Term Note Programme; and
- Caisse Central Desjardins du Quebec's €3 billion Euro-commercial Paper Programme.
Capital Markets Issuance and Liability Management
- Advised Deutsche Bank, HSBC and Morgan Stanley on the issue of €500,000,000 1.800% Senior Notes due 2022 by BorgWarner Inc.
- Represented Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited and the other managers on the issue of €575 million 2.625% Notes due 2015 by Ecolab Inc.
- Advised Sociedad Concesionaria Autovía de la Plata in the issuance of €184.5 million 3.169% Project Bonds due 2041. The issuer is sponsored by Meridiam, a global infrastructure finance firm, and leading Spanish construction companies Acciona Infraestructuras and Cintra Infraestructuras.
- Represented Barclays Capital, Deutsche Bank and Rabobank International as lead managers in a €500 million offering by Kellogg Company, Kellogg's first euro-denominated offering issued under its shelf registration statement.
- Represented one of the world's largest shipbuilding groups on its inaugural offering of €300 million 3.75% Notes due 2018. The Notes were admitted to trading on the regulated market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Advised Vakifbank on the issue of its US$500,000,000 Fixed Rate Resettable Tier II Notes due 2025, which were structured in accordance with the new Turkish Regulation on the Equity of the Banks implementing the Basel III Guidelines and listed on the Irish Stock Exchange's regulated market.
- Represented Caisse Central Desjardins du Quebec on its issue of U.S.$500,000,000 Floating Rate Senior Notes due 2015.
- Represented Trade and Development Bank of Mongolia LLC in connection with its issuance of CNY700 million 10.00% Notes due 2017. This transaction marked the first “dim sum” bond to be issued from Mongolia.
- Represented Prologis, LP and Prologis, Inc. in the offering of €700 million 3.000% Notes due 2022 listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented a global healthcare company on a €1.2 billion offering of 7-year and 12-year Eurobonds. The Bonds were listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
- Represented Vakifbank on its issue and offering of $600 million 3.750% Notes due April 2018.
- Represented Vietnam Shipbuilding Industry Group (Vinashin) on the issuance of US$626,799,000 Fixed Rate Guaranteed Notes due 2025 by Debt and Asset Trading Corporation, as part of Vinashin's restructuring, the first UK scheme of arrangement by a Vietnamese company as part of its financial restructuring.
- Represented Trade and Development Bank of Mongolia LLC in connection with its issuance of $500 million 9.375% percent Notes due 2020 guaranteed by the Ministry of Finance, the first time that the client has accessed investors in the US.
- Represented Isbank in its placement of $400,000,000 of 10 year Tier II Subordinated Bonds.
- Represented The Royal Bank of Scotland and the other joint lead managers on the issue by Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce of €1 billion 1.25 per cent. Covered Bonds due August 2018.
- Represented Helical Bar plc on its issue and offering of GBP75 million 6.00 per cent. Retail Bonds due 2020.
- Advised the underwriting banks on the offer by Telekom Austria of its €750 million 6.375 per cent. Guaranteed Bonds due 2016.
- Represented Türkiye Sınai Kalkınma Bankası A.Ş. on its debut issue and offering of $350 million 5.375% Notes due 2019 and the listing of the Notes on the regulated market of the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Represented a major UK water utility on the exchange of its existing £100 million Guaranteed Notes due 2050 for £150 million 5.875% Guaranteed Bonds due 2040.
- Advised an international oilfield services provider on the offering of $450 million 3.00 per cent. Guaranteed Notes due 2013.
- Represented the dealer manager on NIBC’s cash tender offer to the holders of its €1.5 billion 3.50 per cent. Senior Fixed Rate Notes due 7 April 2014.
- Represented Caixa Económica Montepio Geral on its €65 million cash tender offer, by unmodified dutch auction, to the holders of certain series of its mortgaged backed securities.
Equity-Linked Capital Markets/Structured Products
- Advised Helical Bar plc on its £100 million cash box placement of Convertible Bonds.
- Represented a UK oil and gas exploration company on the offering of £141.5 million convertible bonds, issued indirectly by a Jersey cash box company and convertible into preference shares of the Jersey cash box company which are mandatorily exchangeable into the UK company’s ordinary shares.
- Advised the joint lead managers on the offering by GBL of €400.8 million Exchangeable Bonds, exchangeable for existing ordinary shares of Suez Environment.
- Represented the lead manager on the offering by Sea Trucks Group of $200 million Secured pre-IPO Convertible Guaranteed Bonds.
- Advised the sole bookrunner on the offering by Grand City Properties of €100 million Guaranteed Secured Convertible Bonds.
- Represented the lead managers on the offering by BES Finance of €500 million Guaranteed Exchangeable Bonds, exchangeable into the ordinary shares of Banco Bradesco.
- Advised St Modwen Properties PLC on its £100 million cash box placement of Convertible Bonds.
- Represented an international telecommunications company on the structuring, as part of a group demerger, of an offering of £230 million Convertible Bonds which automatically reset their conversion ratio and credit provisions to operate in the pre and post-demerger group structure.
- Advised a Swedish investment company on a rare Scandinavian public offering of €500 million convertible bonds to European institutional investors.
- Represented a Portuguese state-owned management company on the offering of €886 million Exchangeable Bonds, exchangeable into shares of Galp Energia.
- Advised the lead managers on the offerings of Convertible Bonds by Spanish companies Abengoa, FCC and Sol Melia.
- Represented a UK water utility on the cash box offering of £125 million Convertible Bonds.
- Advised the lead managers on convertible bond offerings of Anglo America and J Sainsbury and the placing and open offer of subordinated convertible bonds by Electra Private Equity plc.
- Advised the underwriting banks on the offering by Tabreed of AED1.7 billion Mandatory Exchangeable Sukuk.
- Represented a Greek international games company on the first-ever Luxembourg listed debt securities exchangeable into Greek listed shares.
- Represented a variety of international financial institutions on the issuance of equity-linked notes and warrants, as well as other structured notes (including CLNs), under their structured note programmes, both on a private and public offer basis.
Contingent Capital Issuance
- Advised sovereign wealth fund on its purchase of $1.7 billion and CHF2.5 billion Tier 1 contingent convertible bonds from Credit Suisse Group, structured with a view to their compliance with the Basel III recommendations.
- Represented an international Greek bank in connection with its rights offering for the issuance of new shares and its innovative issue and placement of €1.8 billion short-dated Convertible Equity Notes.
- Advised sovereign wealth fund on its £3.5 billion investment in Barclays plc in the form of Mandatory Convertible Notes and Warrants.
The College of Law, Guildford
Legal Practice Course - Distinction
University of Surrey
BSc (Hons) Law and Russian - First Class Honours
- England and Wales
- James Taylor is noted for his varied DCM practice, which ranges across bonds and loans, as well as equity-linked products. He is also recognised for his work on emerging market transactions.
"He's an excellent technical lawyer." "James is professional, efficient and patient." Chambers UK 2022.
- ‘James Taylor is our main contact in London. James is a very experienced, knowledgeable and diligent capital markets lawyer and is well versed in advising underwriters on pertinent debt capital markets issues, including covered bond offerings and related matters. James is personable, enthusiastic and responsive. James consistently delivers timely, high-quality advice and is a persuasive negotiator. I would highly recommend him.’ ‘James tends to be very “hands-on” and leads deals for Mayer Brown, so most of our engagements would be with him at partner level and he would be the voice of Mayer Brown on these deals, coordinating with other specialists as required.’ (Debt Capital Markets). ‘James Taylor – Technically very skilled lawyer with a very high client focus.’ (Bank Lending) Legal 500 2021.
- James Taylor is regarded for his varied DCM practice, which ranges across bonds and loans, as well as equity-linked products. He is also noted for his work on emerging market transactions. Chambers UK 2021.
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', James Taylor is noted for his expertise in a range of DCM transactions. "He is a fantastic lawyer," comments one client, explaining that "he has strong knowledge of capital markets and he delves into everything in great detail." Another describes him as "a technically very skilled lawyer." Chambers UK 2020.
- Listed as a 'key lawyer', clients recommend James Taylor for debt capital markets. He 'specialises in European debt and equity-linked capital markets, including commercial paper, MTN, Eurobonds, convertible and exchangeable bonds and other structured equity issuances.' He 'is a true expert in his field and a top-notch professional. He is responsive, enthusiastic and highly experienced. He and his team always deliver the highest quality of service'. Legal 500 2020.
- James Taylor is a strong DCM partner with experience in public and private offerings, securities work, MTN and bond-related transactions. Clients say: "James’s pragmatic and sensible approach is invaluable." Chambers UK 2019
- Is "one of the best for Canadian covered bond issuance; he is knowledgeable, practical and transaction-oriented, and he adds real value." He also plays a key role in the firm's emerging markets debt work. Legal 500 2018.
- "Demonstrates a comprehensive approach and gives to the point advice." Chambers UK 2017.
- "Has in-depth knowledge of local securities legislation and is always responsive." Legal 500 2017
- Named as one of the "40 under 40 Rising Stars in Legal Services" by Financial News in 2014 and recognized as one of "the brightest up-and-coming lawyers in European capital markets."
- Named as "Highly Rated" in IFLR1000.
- Named as an "Up and Coming" Lawyer in Chambers UK.
- Named as a "Recommended Lawyer" in Legal 500 UK.
- "Very knowledgeable of his area of expertise, and knowledgeable about the market as well" - Acritas Stars – independently rated lawyer