Richard Spehr leads Mayer Brown’s global Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. Formerly the managing partner of Mayer Brown’s New York office, Rich is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including federal and state securities laws, internal investigations, SEC investigations, DOJ investigations (including FIRREA), international arbitration (ICC, CEDR, LCIA, UNCITRAL), derivatives, banking, financial services, and intellectual property litigation.
Rich has tried more than a dozen cases to verdict or decision for a number of clients. He regularly advises and represents numerous Fortune 500 global companies, including Bank of Montreal, HSBC, AIG, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Merck.
Rich is a contributing author of Practising Law Institute’s “Securities Investigations: Internal, Civil and Criminal” Deskbook. He is also frequently quoted by major news publications, including Bloomberg BNA, New York Law Journal and Law360, among others.
- Represented international bank in FIRREA litigation and related civil cases.
- Represented several major banks in RMBS class action litigation.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a highly significant AAA arbitration concerning a licensing dispute.
- Represented another major pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration in Paris over a patent maintenance dispute.
- Represented the former CFO of a major insurance company in multiple litigation matters and internal and government investigations emanating from the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented several major global banks in financial crisis litigation stemming from the collapse of the subprime securitization market.
- Represented several leading pharmaceutical companies in litigations arising out of licensing, distribution, co-development and co-marketing agreements.
- Represented numerous issuers, and their officers and directors, in securities litigation matters.
- Represented a global bank in a lender liability case involving a failed real estate development.
- Represented a major European car manufacturer in several federal and state consumer protection investigations.
- Represented a health supplement manufacturer in a New York State Attorney General investigation.
- Represented several US investment banks in litigation arising out of mergers and acquisitions transactions.
- Led several major internal client investigations on behalf of the audit committee, officers and directors, and the company itself; handled governmental investigations.
- Represented a US pharmaceutical company in a governmental investigation arising out of New York’s False Claim Act.
- Represented a major insurance company in “life settlement” litigation.
- Represented debtors and creditors in various contested bankruptcy proceedings throughout the US.
- Represented an Asian pharmaceutical company in defamation action against a US short seller.
- Represented a major US data processing company in litigation over a licensing agreement.
- Represented an insurance company in class action TCPA litigation.
St. John's University School of Law, JD
Editor, St. John's Law Review; St. Thomas More Scholar
State University of New York at Binghamton, BA
- Nueva York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York