Co-leader of Latin America Arbitration
Alejandro López Ortiz
Alejandro López Ortiz regularly represents companies and states in commercial and investment arbitrations in complex disputes arising from different economic sectors and industries, including engineering/construction projects and energy.
He helps clients through arbitration and Dispute Boards related to major infrastructure projects, combining elements of private and public law. Clients trust Alejandro’s counsel before the major international arbitration institutions such as the ICC, LCIA, ICSID, SCC, ICDR, SIAC, the Madrid Court of Arbitration and the Court of the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce, among others, and in ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules. Alejandro frequently arbitrates for institutions such as the ICC, the Madrid Court of Arbitration, and the ICDR.
Prominent experience as Counsel
- Veolia Environnement and its Lithuanian subsidiary, Vilnius Energy, in a major victory in a large, high-stakes arbitration against the Municipality of Vilnius and the municipally-owned Vilniaus Šilumos Tinklai over a contract for the modernization and operation of the municipal heating network of the city of Vilnius.
- A Spanish EPC Contractor in a major victory obtained in an ICC arbitration in Geneva against an electromechanical subcontractor in a project for the construction of a refinery in South East Asia.
- A Canadian investor in a NAFTA Arbitration under the Rules of ICSID’s Additional Facility, obtaining a win against the United Mexican States in a dispute related to Claimant’s investment in the real estate sector in Mexico (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)15/2).
- A Consortium of international contractors in two wins obtained in two ICC arbitrations against the owners concerning the construction, commissioning and performance of two thermal-solar (CSP) power plants in Africa.
- Leading publication in France for finance professionals granted the Paris office a 2 star ranking for the "international arbitration" category, highlighting partner Alejandro López Ortiz’s practice – Option Droit & Affaires
- “‘Very proactive, practical and always available’ Alejandro López Ortiz shows ‘great technical skills and a very commercial approach’, ‘always meets his deadlines and delivers very high-quality work’.” Legal 500 EMEA
- “Also recommended and acting as lead counsel or arbitrator is Alejandro López Ortiz, ‘a highly experienced man who perfectly handles complex technical issues’.“ – Legal 500 EMEA
- “Alejandro Lopez Ortiz is dual-qualified to practice in Spain and France, and maintains high activity in Spain and Central America. He has broad sector experience, including a strong track record regarding infrastructure, construction, and energy disputes, primarily representing private companies.” – Chambers Global.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM on International Business Law
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Licenciado en Derecho
Participación Profesional y Comunitaria
- Member of the Award Scrutiny Commission of CIAM (Madrid International Arbitration Center).
- Member of the Sub-Committee on Investment Arbitration of the IBA.
- Member of the ICC's Task Force on the Revision of the Rules of ICC as Appointing Authority in UNCITRAL or other ad-hoc Arbitration Proceedings.
- Member of the ICC's Task Force on the New York Convention of 1958 for the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards.
- Reporter for the study "Legal Instruments and Practice of Arbitration in the EU" published by the European Parliament in 2014.