“Alejandro Lopez Ortiz is brilliant: very accurate and has a lot of experience in arbitration proceedings.”Chambers Global 2014
Admitted to the Paris Bar and Madrid Bar, Alejandro López Ortiz is a partner in the International Arbitration practice of the Paris office. He leads the Latin American arbitration practice of the Firm.
He regularly represents companies and States in commercial and investment arbitrations in complex disputes arising from different economic sectors and industries, having acted as counsel before the major international arbitration institutions such as the ICC, LCIA, ICSID, ICDR, SIAC, the Madrid Court of Arbitration and the Court of the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce, among others, and in ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules.
A relevant part of his practices focuses on disputes arising from engineering and construction projects and energy, frequently intervening in arbitration and Dispute Boards related to major infrastructure projects, combining elements of private and public law, such as the case of the construction of the third set of locks of the Panama Canal, where he represents the Panama Canal Authority.
In addition, Alejandro frequently acts as arbitrator for institutions such as the ICC, the Madrid Court of Arbitration, and belongs to the panel of arbitrators of the ICDR. Sources refer to him as “one of the best arbitrators in Spain” (Chambers Global, 2012).
Alejandro is a Member of the Investment Arbitration Subcommittee of the IBA and of the ICC Task Forces on the Revision of the Rules of ICC as Appointing Authority in UNCITRAL or other Ad Hoc Arbitration Proceedings and on the New York Convention on recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards. Furthermore, he was a reporter for the study “Legal Instruments and Practice of Arbitration in the EU”, published by the European Parliament in 2014.
He has acted as an expert witness before the courts of Ireland and Norway in cases of recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards.
Alejandro lectures and publishes extensively in his practice areas.
Alejandro holds a law degree from the University Carlos III de Madrid (1996) and an LLM from the London School of Economics (1999).
Alejandro has been with Mayer Brown since 2014. Previously, he was an attorney in the International Arbitration group of an major international firm. Before that, he worked with a leading international arbitrator.
In additional to his native Spanish, Alejandro is fluent in English, French and understands Portuguese.
Prominent experience as Counsel
Recent or pending arbitration or court proceedings in which Alejandro López Ortiz was involved include:
- Representing the Panama Canal Authority in a number of disputes with the contractor consortium related to the construction of the third set of locks of the Canal, in various ICC arbitrations and DAB proceedings.
- Representing a foreign investor in an ICC arbitration related with the management of a power generation company in Dominican Republic.
- Representing a consortium of Central American construction companies against a dredging European company in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a port oil terminal in Costa Rica.
- Representing a company from the Middle East, owner of a hotel in Togo, in a dispute before a DAB related to a series of claims by the contractor with respect to the works for the refurbishing of the hotel.
- Representing a Canadian investor in a NAFTA Arbitration under the Rules of ICSID’s Additional Facility against the United Mexican States in a dispute related to Claimant’s expropriation of assets and real estate rights.
- Representing a Latin American State in three investment treaty arbitrations, two before ICSID and a third pursuant to the UNCITRAL Rules, related to different measures of nationalization of assets.
- Representing a Latin American State in proceedings related to the enforcement of an ICSID award in Spain.
- Acting for a Turkish investor in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Azerbaijan in a dispute related to a concession in the electricity sector.
- Representing several Spanish companies in two ICC arbitrations against a Texan company, related to the distribution of works within the consortium for the construction of a petrochemical plant in Mexico.
- Representing a construction company in an arbitration before the Madrid Court of Arbitration, related to the purchase of wind turbines for the construction of a wind farm in Spain.
- Acting for an international telecommunications group in two ICDR arbitrations regarding the application of inter-connect agreements in El Salvador.
- Representing the owner of a biodiesel plant in Spain in an international arbitration against an Austrian construction company, related to defaults in the construction and in the coordination of various interim-measure proceedings in Spain and Austria.
- Representing a major multinational insurance group in an arbitration against a one of the main Spanish bank entities, related to the breach of a bank-assurance venture.
- Representing a Spanish technology company in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore against a Vietnamese State-owned company.
Prominent experience as Arbitrator
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to a distribution contract between a Brazilian and a French company, for the distribution of textile products in Brazil.
- Sole arbitrator in two related ICC arbitrations, concerning projects for the construction of solar plants in Spain and Portugal.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to a purchase agreement of construction components for the construction of a solar plant in Spain.
- President of the arbitral tribunal in ad-hoc arbitration in Madrid, related to a franchise agreement in the sanitary sector.
- Co-arbitrator in an arbitration before the Madrid Court of Arbitration related to the termination of an administration contract for pharmaceutical products.
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration before the Madrid Court of Arbitration related to a contract for the construction of a solar plant in Spain.
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration before the Madrid Court of Arbitration related to a breach of non-competition clauses contained in an agreement for the purchase of a technology company in Belgium and Spain.
- Lecturer on International Arbitration of the Instituto de Empresas, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid y Centre of Studies Garrigues (Madrid).
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLM on International Business Law
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Licenciado en Derecho
- Member of the Sub-Committee on Investment Arbitration of the IBA.
- Member of the ICC’s Task Force on the Revision of the Rules of ICC as Appointing Authority in UNCITRAL or other ad-hoc Arbitration Proceedings.
- Member of the ICC’s Task Force on the New York Convention of 1958 for the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards.
- Reporter for the study “Legal Instruments and Practice of Arbitration in the EU” published by the European Parliament in 2014.
- Member of the ICC’s Latin American Group.
- Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
- Member of the Consulting Body of the Arbitration Center of the Construction Industry in Mexico.
- Member of the ICDR panel of arbitrators.
- Member of the panel of arbitrators of the Madrid Court of Arbitration.
- Member the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) and former co-chair of its below 40 section.
- Member the Executive Committee of the French Chapter of the Spanish Arbitration Club.
- Member of the ICDR-Y&I and former member of Global Advisory Board.
- Member of the Association Suisse d’Arbitrage (ASA).
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual :
- “The ‘very proactive, practical and always available’ Alejandro López Ortiz shows ‘great technical skills and a very commercial approach’, ‘always meets his deadlines and delivers very high-quality work’.” Legal 500 EMEA (2019).
- “Also recommended and acting as lead counsel or arbitrator is Alejandro López Ortiz, ‘a highly experienced man who perfectly handles complex technical issues’. “ Legal 500 EMEA (2018)
- “Alejandro Lopez Ortiz is dual-qualified to practice in Spain and France, and maintains high activity in Spain and Central America. He has broad sector experience, including a strong track record with regard to infrastructure, construction and energy disputes, primarily representing private companies.” Chambers Global (2018).
- The new edition of Décideurs, a French media and rating agency for top executives has recognized Alejandro Lopez Ortiz as "Excellent" in International Arbitration. (2017).
- Alejandro Lopez Ortiz has a strong focus on Spain and Central and Latin America having worked at a firm in Spain for many years. He acts for clients from the energy, financial and construction sectors, as well as advising on commercial and investment arbitrations. Chambers Global (2017).
- The new edition of Global Arbitration Review 100 (GAR 100), a peer review guide to the legal profession has recognized Alejandro Lopez Ortiz as one of the leading International Arbitration practitioners in France. (2016)
- "Alejandro López Ortiz est salué pour son excellente approche des dossiers et ses solutions basées sur sa vaste expérience et sa connaissance juridique" Legal 500 Paris (2016)
- The new edition of Who’s Who Legal, a review guide in business law based upon comprehensive and independent research has recognized Alejandro Lopez Ortiz as one of the "Partners aged 45 or under who are considered to be the future leaders of the international arbitration community”. (2016)
- The new edition of Expert Guide, a guide dedicated to leading individuals in the legal industry has recognized Alejandro Lopez Ortiz as one of the leading Commercial Arbitration practitioners in France. (2016).
- The new edition of Décideurs, a french media and rating agency for top executives has recognized Alejandro Lopez Ortiz as "excellent" in Interntaional Arbitration. (2016)
- "Commentators say counsel Alejandro Lopez Ortiz is brilliant: very accurate and has a lot of experience in domestic arbitration proceedings." Chambers Global (2015)
- "Brilliant: very accurate and has a lot of experience in arbitration proceedings." Chambers Global (2014)
- "Sources highlight Alejandro Lopez Ortiz's mighty technical knowledge in the arbitration area. His understanding of the energy sector is also appreciated by clients." Chambers Global (2013)
- "Sources refer to him as one of the best arbitrators in Spain." Chambers Global (2012)