Few industries are as influenced by fluctuating economic conditions around the world as the trillion-dollar real estate sector. Few firms are as well positioned to respond to these conditions as Mayer Brown, which serves as a trusted advisor to our clients across the world’s largest financial centers.
In today’s increasingly complex and ever-changing global real estate market, clients depend on Mayer Brown to understand the interwoven ownership, management and operational aspects of the industry and to offer sound, strategic advice and judgment to help them formulate and drive commercial and legal decisions.
Our Real Estate Markets practice—a core global practice for Mayer Brown, comprising over 200 lawyers across four continents—offers in-depth, cross-border and local knowledge from established teams in markets throughout the world. We manage some of the industry’s most complex deals from all sides and leverage that rich knowledge and experience on behalf of our clients.
We anticipate strategically important shifts in the industry and respond to market conditions with an approach that is both sophisticated and pragmatic. From the formation of capital-raising vehicles to acquisitions and sales to transactions involving complex financing and joint-venture structures in multiple jurisdictions, our multidisciplinary team handles matters spanning the industry, including:
- Real estate funds and investment management
- Private equity real estate
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Fund finance and real estate finance
- Development and construction
- Portfolio leasing and ancillary asset management services
- Corporate real estate services
- Distressed real estate
- Transfer tax, property tax and assessment challenges
- Real estate litigation
Our clients include real estate institutional investors; pension funds and advisers; private equity funds; opportunity funds; real estate investment trusts; commercial, investment and industrial banks; governments; statutory bodies; insurance companies; real estate holding companies; developers; and multinational corporations.
We work hard to understand our clients’ value drivers and goals so that we can tailor our services to their needs and help them solve complex problems—and spot opportunities—even in the most challenging market conditions. Clients point to this as a key strength that adds value to our work and contributes to their success.
Clients often bring us in early on in the planning stage of a deal to help them formulate and execute their strategic and financial objectives. We help clients synchronize those objectives with market conditions and emerging trends.
While clients regularly call on us to represent them in complex local and cross-border transactions, they also turn to us for more routine matters and benefit from our experience and industry relationships.
Pensions & Investments
- Mayer Brown represents 14 of the Top 25 Largest Real Estate Investment Managers, as ranked by total worldwide real estate assets, in millions as of September 2020.
PERE Magazine Global Awards
- Winner “Asia Law Firm of the Year – Transactions Category,” 2009, 2013-2017
- Shortlisted “Europe Law Firm of the Year – Transactions Category,” 2020
- Shortlisted “Americas Law Firm of the Year – Transactions Category,” 2017
ALB Hong Kong Law Awards
- Sixteen-time winner of the “Real Estate Law Firm of the Year” award in 2002-2006, 2009-2016, 2019-2022
ALB China Law Awards
- Winner "Real Estate Law Firm of the Year – International" 2016, 2021
The Asian Lawyer’s Asia Legal Awards
- Winner “Real Estate Firm of the Year” (Hong Kong) 2018
Real Estate Forum
- Winner –“Best Deal of 2017 – Real Estate”
The Times Best Law Firms
- Commended for Commercial Property 2019
Commercial Property Executive (CPE)
- Ranked among the top 10 in CPE’s Leading Real Estate Law Firms List (US) in 2017
China Business Law Awards
- "China Business Law Award Winner: Real Estate & REIT" – 2016, 2019 - 2021
The Lawyer Awards
- Shortlisted “ Real Estate Team of the Year – UK,” 2014, 2018
Asian Mena Counsel 2017
- "In-House Community Firm of the Year for Hong Kong: Real Estate/Construction" - 2013, 2014 & 2017
LEGALBAND China Law Award 2017
- Real Estate & Construction Law Firm of the Year – International Firms, 2017
National Real Estate Investor Commercial Real Estate Awards
- Winner “Law Firms: Outstanding Service” 2016
U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate Law National 2012-2021
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate Law Chicago 2011-2021
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate Law Houston 2011-2021
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate Law New York City 2016-2020
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate Law Washington D.C. 2012-2021
Chambers Asia Pacific
- “Band 1” Ranking in Real Estate (International Firms) – China 2007-2021
Chambers Greater China Region
- “Band 1” Ranking in Real Estate (International Firms) – China 2022, 2023
- “Band 2” Ranking in Real Estate (Washington D.C.) 2020-2021
- “Band 2” Ranking in Real Estate (Illinois) 2020-2021
- “Band 2” Ranking in Real Estate (Texas) 2020-2021
Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate (Hong Kong) – 2007-2023
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate & Construction (China) – 2016-2023
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Real Estate (China) – 2011-2016
Legal 500 UK
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Commercial Property: Investment 2018
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Commercial Property: Development 2018
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Commercial Property: Corporate Occupiers 2018
Chambers & Partners UK
- “Band 2” Ranking in Real Estate (Big Ticket) 2019
JUVE Handbook 2015/2016
"Well-functioning global network" (Germany).
Chambers Asia Pacific
"Highly respected team working on development, financing and conveyancing mandates across Hong Kong and mainland China. Frequently handles retail, residential and hospitality transactions."
One client lists the team's qualities as follows: "Knowledgeable, willing to think outside the box, willing to go the extra mile and speedy with turnaround times.". Another client describes the team as a "big name" and says: "They've developed a good reputation in Hong Kong."
"They're fantastic people. They are very knowledgeable, know our positions and preferences and they're collaborative and thoughtful."
"Client service is exceptionally responsive and they are practical and results-oriented. They keep deals moving."
"The most internally integrated, client-focused and effective firm we use."
The "firm's client service far exceeds that of any other firm with which we work."
"Uncanny ability to identify key risk factors and propose creative and workable solutions to mitigate the risk."
The firm is my go-to for anything that is complicated or time-sensitive."
Chambers Latin America
"The team is diligent, proactive and able to deliver results," adding that "they always provide informed and business-oriented advice."
"I rate their service incredibly highly. They really advise the client and help them go down the best route possible. They always resource their team very well and they all work together, which is reassuring when you're under pressure."
"Excellent team," "They are very responsive and proactive. They keep us on track."
"They're very receptive and focused on clients' needs, and they work hard to get you in touch with the right people."
Legal 500 US
"This 'professional' group has 'excellent cross-border expertise' and is 'dedicated to client care.'"
Legal 500 Deutschland
The team has "excellent industry knowledge and skills."
Legal 500 UK
Mayer Brown International LLP is sought after for major investment transactions that present "especially complex problems, which the team fully comprehends, and is able to explain to non-lawyer clients."
"Very strong" team at Mayer Brown International LLP, which clients praise for its "level of responsiveness and the quality of its advice."
Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Providing ‘sound advice and value for money,’ Mayer Brown’s team is praised for its ‘good business acumen and industry knowledge’.