Hong Kong's Employment (Amendment) Bill 2021 (the "Bill"), which seeks to increase the number of statutory holidays under the Employment Ordinance, was gazetted on 5 March 2021.
Under the Bill, the number of statutory holidays will increase from 12 days to 17 days progressively from 2022 to 2030. These five new statutory holidays are:
- The Birthday of Buddha, being the eighth day of the fourth lunar month (starting from 1 January 2022);
- The first weekday after Christmas Day (starting from 1 January 2024);
- Easter Monday (starting from 1 January 2026);
- Good Friday (starting from 1 January 2028); and
- The day following Good Friday (starting from 1 January 2030).
The first reading of the Bill at the Legislative Council is scheduled on 17 March 2021.
The Bill is available at: https://www.gld.gov.hk/egazette/pdf/20212509/es3202125097.pdf