Vivien Yip is a partner of Mayer Brown. She has extensive experience advising clients on complex and high value commercial disputes. She has represented financial institutions and large corporations in a wide range of disputes, many involved multiple jurisdictional issues. She has a particular focus on cross-border disputes with PRC elements and regularly advises clients on financial services disputes, shareholders/equity-related litigations, technology disputes, trust and probate litigations, defamation and media-related matters. Vivien's clients include banks and financial institutions, property developer and corporations, private equity funds, media and technology companies.
Vivien has been commended by legal directories, including Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Chambers Asia-Pacific and LMG Expert Guide. She was praised as “thorough, precise and careful” (Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015).
- Advised an international banking group in a high profile dispute involving claims for mis-selling and breach of trust and fiduciary duties. Achieved successful result at the Court of Final Appeal.
- Acted for a property developer in Hong Kong Court proceedings, resisting the enforcement of an arbitral award made by CIETAC in Beijing. Also advised client in related proceedings and arbitrations in Hong Kong and the PRC.
- Represented a leading technology group in a breach of confidence and conspiracy claim in Hong Kong which involved infringement acts in the PRC.
- Advised investment funds in disputes concerning private equity investments in the PRC.
- Advised clients in commercial and banking dispute cases, handling Court proceedings including interlocutory applications such as urgent injunctions and Norwich Pharmacal discovery applications.
- Represented private clients in contentious probate and estate administration proceedings. These cases frequently involve complex trust issues and construction of testamentary instruments.
- Advised the Committee of Estate of a Mentally Incapacitated Person in a probate dispute.
- Advised media companies and other clients in defamation cases and media-related matters.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
University of London, LLB
University of London, LLM
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Recommended - Leading Estates, Probate & Succession Litigation Lawyers, Hong Kong – Doyle's Guide (2020)
- Next Generation Partner, Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020)
- Next Generation Lawyer, Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Hong Kong) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017-2019)
- Associate to Watch – Chambers Asia-Pacific (2015)
- LMG Rising Star – Expert Guides (2015)