Alexandra Wood is very good.Legal 500 2021
Alex Wood is counsel in the Restructuring Group of the London office. She advises on multi-jurisdictional restructurings and also has particular interests in insurance insolvency issues and the pensions aspects of restructurings. She acts for a wide range of clients including financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, corporates, directors, pension trustees and corporate trustees. She has worked on high-profile transactions across a range of sectors including retail, real estate, energy, insurance and automotive.
Alex joined Mayer Brown in 1998.
- Advising the trustees of the Debenhams pension schemes on the retailer's high profile restructuring, including all aspects of its administration and subsequent Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) and related court challenge.
- Advising North Sea oil and gas company, ATP, on its successful $1.2 billion restructuring by way of a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), and its sale to Alpha Petroleum, including on cross-border aspects.
- Advising US Bank Trustees Limited as security trustee on the sale of the German tyre retail and fast fit chain, ATU group, to Mobivia Groupe. The sale was preceded by a restructuring of ATU group’s US$300 million plus debt, with security granted across nine jurisdictions, and involved the appointment of provisional liquidators in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting for security trustees on the multi-million pound enforcement of security over a prime London real estate development and its subsequent sale, including court proceedings in Guernsey.
- Advising BerlinHyp as senior lender in relation to the enforcement, restructuring and sale of Goldman Sachs' UK headquarters at Peterborough Court, including on parallel UK and BVI schemes of arrangement.
- Advising the supervisors (insolvency practitioners from Ernst & Young LLP) on the ongoing implementation of a complex Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) of a North Sea oil and gas development and production company.
- Advising landlords in connection with numerous Company Voluntary Arrangements (CVAs) proposed by tenants in the UK retail and casual dining sectors.
- Advising ISDA on its International Financial Institutions Opinions initiative.
- Advising the joint provisional liquidators of ACAL, a corporate member of Lloyd's Syndicate (which had operated on Lloyd's Asia Platform in Singapore and was now in run-off) on the application to bring the provisional liquidation to an end and return it to its shareholder.
- Advising the trustee of the Merchant Navy Ratings Pension Fund in respect of the recovery from insolvent participating employers of an allocated share in the fund’s deficit.
- Advising insolvency practitioners, professional advisors and corporate clients in respect of requests for documents under sections 234, 235 and 236 Insolvency Act 1986, including defending court applications brought by liquidators.
- Advising the liquidators of Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) (insolvency practitioners from Alvarez & Marsal), a construction company operating in the Middle East, Europe & North Africa, on this complex cross-border liquidation.
- Acting for the successful insolvency practitioners, striking out claims made against them relating to the sale of a hotel (upheld in the Court of Appeal, with permission to appeal to the Supreme Court refused).
- Acting for the liquidators of Robin Symes Limited (insolvency practitioners from BDO LLP) in respect of the complex liquidation of one of the world's largest antiquities dealerships, including in relation to court proceedings in Italy.
- Representing Bank of America in a $6 billion claim for fraudulent trading brought by the Liquidators of BCCI.
The College of Law, Chester
University of Oxford, St John's College
- England and Wales
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' for Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency. Alexandra Wood is very good. Legal 500 2021
- Recommended Alex Wood is listed as a 'Next Generation Partner'. She is also listed as a 'key lawyer' under three categories: Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency, Fraud and Insurance Insolvency and Restructuring. Legal 500 2020.
- Ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer, Alex Wood "a very strong lawyer who is good on detail". Legal 500 2017