Pete Wolf is a Corporate & Securities partner in Mayer Brown's Palo Alto office. He focuses on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, carve-outs, joint ventures and commercial transactions. Pete also represents clients in connection with financing of emerging companies as well as founders in the formation of startups, general corporate governance matters and exit transactions.
Pete is newly ranked as an “Up & Coming” leading Corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers USA 2020. According to Chambers USA 2020, Pete is “very knowledgeable, responsive and in the details,” and is appreciated for his ability to “deliver really effective and efficient advice.”
Pete's clients include publicly held and privately owned companies and venture capital and growth equity funds in a variety of industries, including bank holding companies, financial services firms, investment banks, and technology, media, energy, oil & gas, chemical and agribusiness companies.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2013, Pete was a member of the Corporate & Securities practice group of a prominent national law firm in Chicago. He received his JD from the University of Chicago Law School in 2010 and his BA in economics from Bucknell University in 2004. Pete is a member of the University of Chicago Law School 1902 Leadership Committee and serves on the board of directors of the Walter S. Mander Foundation, a Chicago-based charitable organization. Prior to law school, Pete worked as a reporting associate at Legg Mason Capital Management.
Pete Wolf Representative Transactions
Fintech and Financial Institutions M&A
- American Express Company in the sale of its prepaid reloadable and gift card products business in the United States to InComm, and in its appointment of InComm as its program manager, issuer processor and exclusive distributor for its reloadable and gift card products.
- Envestnet, Inc., a leading provider of intelligent systems for wealth management and financial wellness, in the acquisition of FolioDynamix, which provides financial institutions and registered investment advisors with an end-to-end technology solution to assist advisors in creating model portfolios and delivering overlay management services, from Actua Corp.
- Ally Financial Inc. in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of BlueYield, Inc., a provider of online automobile loan aggregation services.
- The venture capital arm of a bank holding company in numerous investments in emerging fintech companies at various fundraising stages, including an online direct mortgage lender.
- A subsidiary of a diversified financial services holding company in entering into a royalty-free, perpetual license agreement to use a fintech company’s auto data aggregator software.
- GATX in its acquisition of GE Capital Rail Services’ North American per diem boxcar fleet, consisting of more than 18,500 boxcars.
Technology and Media
- A global leader in connected access solutions and products in its acquisition of an AI startup specializing in developing facial recognition software.
- A growth equity fund in various investments in several software-focused emerging companies.
- Wolters Kluwer in the sale of Corsearch, its trademark solutions business, to Audax Private Equity.
- A world-wide professional services company in various minority investments, including in a startup specializing in cybersecurity solutions.
- A software company that provides a talent communication platform in connection with a recapitalization and preferred stock issuance.
- Represented a private equity fund in forming a joint venture between its portfolio company, a manufacturer of cabinet x-ray systems, and a digital x-ray camera technology company.*
- Represented the corporate venture capital arm of a global pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a digital sales and marketing partner for life sciences companies that interacts with healthcare professions through their desktop or laptop, via mobile devices, and at the point of care, from a private equity fund.*
Energy and Oil & Gas
- TransCanada Corporation in various matters, including the sale of its Coolidge Generation Station to a subsidiary of Southwest Generation Operating Co. LLC, the sale of its U.S. retail power marketing business to EDF Energy Services, LLC, and the sale of its U.S. Northeast power generation business in two parallel transactions with affiliates of LS Power Equity Advisors and ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC.
- Credit Suisse AG, Cayman Islands Branch, as administrative agent, in the acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc., an oil rig owner and operator that provides onshore drilling and support services to companies involved in oil and gas exploration, development and production, by virtue of a debt for equity swap pursuant to a restructuring plan approved under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, as well as the sale of Tuscany International Drilling Inc.’s Brazilian assets to an affiliate of Grupo Indalo.
Chemicals and Agribusiness
- The Dow Chemical Company and its subsidiary, Dow AgroSciences LLC, in various matters, including the sale of its AgroFresh specialty chemical business to Boulevard Acquisition Corp. and the sale of its Vikane and ProFume businesses to Douglas Products and Packaging Company LLC.
- Syngenta Crop Protection AG in various matters, including the negotiation of a research partnership with AgBiome and the sale of Dulcinea Farms, LLC, a leading producer of mini-watermelon and specialty melons, to Pacific Trellis Fruit LLC.
*Representation while at a prior firm.
The University of Chicago Law School, JD
Bucknell University, BA