Dan Whitmore has an extensive finance practice as counsel at Mayer Brown. Since joining the firm in 1996, he has focused on Latin American and Caribbean finance and capital markets. His primary focus is on the representation of US and foreign banks, institutional investors and corporate borrowers in secured and unsecured syndicated facilities, acquisition finance transactions, project finance transactions, debt restructurings and cross-border securities offerings. He has extensive experience across a broad range of industries, including transportation infrastructure, construction, telecommunications, financial services, manufacturing, petroleum services and power.
- Represented creditors’ steering committee in the restructuring of $263 million of debt of Trinidad Cement Limited and its subsidiaries in Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados, Guyana, St. Kitts and Nevis, Anguilla and the French West Indies. Awarded 2013 Restructuring Deal of the Year by the M&A Advisor.
- Represented the noteholders as investors on the private placement of $285 million of senior secured notes due 2042 issued by Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited, the operator of the L.F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda.
- Represented the noteholders on the private placement of $127 million of senior secured notes issued by Aeris Holding Costa Rica S.A. The issuer is the operator of the Juan Santamaría airport in San Jose, Costa Rica and is jointly owned by US-based Airports Worldwide and Companhia de Participações em Concessões of Brazil.
- Representing the arrangers in connection with the private placement of $200 million senior secured notes for a build-operate-lease-transfer financing of a cruise ship terminal project in the port of Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Represented Group Odinsa S.A., a Colombian infrastructure company, in the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Quito International Airport concessionaire, Corporaciσn Quiport S.A.
- Represented International Finance Corporation and The OPEC Fund for International Development in connection with the restructuring and sale of five term loan financings for the Ultrapetrol Group, one of the largest shipping businesses in South America with operations in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.
- Represented the investors in connection with a $250 million private placement of fixed rate notes secured by dollar-denominated Visa and MasterCard merchant voucher receivables sold by National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited.
- Represented arranger and initial purchaser in a $125 million Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of notes secured by dollar-denominated diversified payment rights sold by National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited.
- Represented underwriter in connection with the 144A/Regulation S offering of $143 million senior secured notes issued by Princess Juliana International Airport of Sint Maarten.
- Represented arrangers and lenders in connection with a $235 million syndicated loan facility to the Suriname State Oil Company to finance the construction of a refinery expansion project. This was the first cross-border financing of its size for a Suriname borrower.
- Represented the underwriters on a $450 million Rule 144A/Regulation S bond offering of airline ticket receivables of the Chile-based LATAM Airlines Group S.A. The transaction marked the first securitization of airline ticket receivables in Latin America since 2002. Awarded 2013 Deal of the Year by Airfinance Journal.
- Represented the lender and lead arranger in connection with a $1.9 billion secured credit facility to refinance a seller financing loan provided by GE Real Estate Mexico to an affiliate of Blackstone Real Estate Debt Strategies Fund as part of Blackstone’s acquisition of GE Capital’s commercial real estate mortgage loan portfolio in Mexico.
- Represented arranger and lender in connection with a $70 million secured loan to finance antenna tower facilities with co-borrowers in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and the British Virgin Islands.
- Represented arranger and senior lender with respect to a MXP$620 million secured loan facility to Crediamigo, a Mexican financial corporation.
- Represented mandated lead arrangers with respect to a $250 million syndicated loan facility used by Banco Davivienda S.A., as borrower, to acquire the capital stock of Granbanco S.A., a Colombian banking corporation.
- Represented arrangers and originators in connection with future flow securitizations of diversified payment rights in numerous emerging market jurisdictions, including Brazil, Peru, Guatemala, El Salvador, Jamaica and Turkey.
- Represented lenders in connection with the $700 million Nuevo Pemex power facility in Mexico. Awarded Latin America Power Deal of the Year.
- Represented an export credit agency in connection with the $230 million San Fernando gas pipeline project in Mexico. Awarded Latin American Oil and Gas Deal of the Year.
- Represented an export credit agency as lead credit provider in connection with multiple power projects in Asia, including the $2.5 billion Paiton I (Asia-Pacific Refinancing Deal of the Year) and $1.7 billion Jawa (Paiton II) (Asia-Pacific Restructuring Deal of the Year) in Indonesia, and the $800 million Quezon power project in the Philippines.
- Represented a US telecom in the sale of its interests in cellular companies in Venezuela ($1.2 billion), Colombia ($1 billion) and Chile ($530 million).
- Represented investors in the leveraged lease of telecommunications equipment in numerous transactions in multiple jurisdictions, including Switzerland, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Canada, China, Malaysia, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Collaborated with local counsel in the Czech Republic to draft an amendment to Czech Air Code to provide for aircraft mortgage registration.
- Co-authored comment on draft bankruptcy law for the Republic of Moldova.
- Firm’s Chicago co-chair of the List Project to Resettle Iraqi Allies providing legal advice and counsel to Iraqi refugees.
- Represented the Chicago Community Loan Fund, a community development financial institution, in connection with mortgage financings to provide affordable rental housing to households in low and middle income communities.
DePaul University College of Law, JD, Law Review
University of Redlands, BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York