"David is an extraordinary professional. He has a very broad knowledge of international law, but is also very detailed and incisive in the factual aspects and the singularities of each case, which gives him a depth and overview that is not easy to match."Legal 500 Latin America
Clients seek David Weiss' advice on sophisticated investor-state arbitration, commercial disputes in Latin America, and disputes in the energy industry. He has significant experience regarding post-M&A disputes.
David has participated, and taken a lead role, in several of the largest and most complex international arbitrations in recent years and successfully obtained multiple awards whose value exceeded US$ 1 billion.
- A major US energy company in an UNCITRAL arbitration in which we successfully obtained an award worth over US$ 9 billion against Ecuador for denial of justice, violation of an investment agreement, and breach of the U.S.-Ecuador bilateral investment treaty.
- A major international corporation in a multi-billion-dollar ICC arbitration regarding the sale of pulp producing company in Brazil. In 2021, we obtained a successful award on liability.
- A major construction company in an ICSID Arbitration against Argentina for failing to restore the economic equilibrium of a toll-road concession.
- A subsidiary of two major European energy companies in an ICSID arbitration in which we successfully obtained an award of over US$ 2 billion against Egypt for improper interference in a natural gas sale purchase agreement. Also represented this company in several parallel commercial arbitrations.
- A US mining company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against Peru for expropriation a large, smelting complex.
- A Brazilian pharmaceutical company against a major international pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration that concerned a post-M&A dispute worth over US$ 100 million.
- A Fortune 100 company in conducting a worldwide review of projects and investments to maximize investment-treaty protection.
- A Brazilian company against a major U.S. private equity fund in an ICC arbitration that concerned post-M&A dispute worth over US$ 500 million regarding a technology company in Brazil.
- A major US energy company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against an Asian country regarding decommissioning obligations worth over US$ 1 billion in potential liability.
- A major US energy company in an UNCITRAL arbitration in which successfully obtained an award worth US$ 700 million less taxes against Ecuador for violation of the US-Ecuador bilateral investment treaty as a result of Ecuador’s courts’ undue delay of seven breach-of-contract cases.
- A major construction company in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina in which we obtained a favorable award for the unlawful termination of a water-and-sewage concession contract.
- Two separate A US energy companies during the annulment phases of their ICSID cases against Argentina for abrogating dollar tariffs and inflationary adjustments in the gas sector.
- A Fortune 50 company in its ICSID case against Argentina for measures taken against gas production companies.
- A major US energy company in an ICC arbitration against a joint-venture partner in a West African, off-shore project.
- A US energy company in an ICC arbitration against a state-owned, electricity-distribution company in the Dominican Republic.
- An individual in a potential denial-of-justice claim under an investment treaty against a European country. The matter settled on terms favorable to our client.
- A US company in which we obtained a favorable award in an ICC Arbitration in a commercial dispute with its Brazilian partner concerning a real-estate development project in São Paulo, Brazil.
- A major US energy company regarding the implications of particular treaties during the course of that company’s negotiations to extend an oil-and-gas concession with a sovereign government.
The University of Texas School of Law, JD, with honors
University of Richmond, BA
Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas Bar, International Law Section, Secretary of the Counsel
- Texas Bar Foundation, Member of the Nominating Committee
- Texas International Law Journal, Member of the Alumni Board
- International Arbitration Viz Moot Court Team, University of Texas School of Law, Coach