“Jon Van Gorp is an ‘excellent attorney’” and "very constructive, smart and thoughtful in what he does." (2019)Chambers USA
“Jon Van Gorp is described as an ‘outstanding lawyer’ by peers, and is considered by clients to be ‘very creative, logical and practical, striking the proper balance between being commercial and addressing the legal risks’.” (2018)
Jon Van Gorp is a partner at the global law firm Mayer Brown where he has practiced continuously for more than 20 years. Jon is a co-leader of the firm’s Capital Markets practice and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Previously, he served as a co-leader of the Banking & Finance practice and the Structured Finance Practice. He is located in both Chicago and New York.
Jon has been consistently ranked as an outstanding lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR1000 each year since becoming a partner. This includes recognition as one of only seven lawyers ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA for Capital Markets: Securitization (Nationwide) and one of 12 lawyers in Legal 500's inaugural list of hall of fame lawyers for Structured Finance in the US.
Jon excels at analyzing a client’s situation and proposing unique yet practical solutions. Jon’s reputation for innovation, recognized by the Financial Times, is demonstrated by his integral role in many first-of-their-kind transactions, including:
- The first Non-Performing Loan re-REMIC securitization
- The first auto leveraged lease transaction funded with asset-backed debt
- The first synthetic transfer of risk related to a portfolio of consumer auto leases
- The first issuance of bank debt guaranteed by Farmer Mac
- The first auto receivables shelf registration statement to go effective under regulation AB
- The first publicly offered CDO of mezzanine MBS debt
- The first securitization of Mexican mortgage loans funded in the US capital markets
- The first offshore public company established to own mortgage servicing rights
- The first synthetic captive auto finance company funded and administered by an independent commercial bank
Jon’s experience highlights his versatility and flexibility. The broad range of his work includes public and private securities offerings, private investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, assets sales, structured finance transactions, leveraged leases, derivatives, synthetic risk transfer programs, litigation/work outs/restructurings, government relations/lobbying and financial guaranty insurance. He develops novel approaches to funding difficult-to-finance assets such as nonperforming mortgage loans, distressed ABS and MBS, residential homes and single family rental properties, mortgage servicing rights and servicing advances. He also assists clients in developing innovative solutions to fund their operations, sell or acquire asset portfolios and businesses, or manage and hedge their exposures by buying and selling risk.
As an industry-recognized thought leader, Jon frequently provides insight and analysis on issues related to the finance and banking industries in top-tier media, including the Associated Press, Bloomberg News, Dow Jones Newswires, Financial Times, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Jon is regularly invited to speak on structured finance and mortgage finance issues and he has published articles on a wide range of structured finance-related topics. Most recently, Jon co-authored articles for Bloomberg Law, “Acquiring Excess Servicing Fees for Mortgage Loan Servicing Rights,” and“The State of Play of Qualified and Non-Qualified Mortgages” and provided readers with “Everything you Need to Know About Entering the Mortgage Finance Market” in an article for HousingWire.
Jon is an active leader in the community. He is a past Leadership Greater Chicago fellow. He is Chairman of the Chicago Regional Board of Bottom Line and the former Chair of its Fundraising and Visibility Committee. Bottom Line provides college access and success programs for low income and first generation college students. He is a Member of the Carrington Charitable Foundation Advisory Board, which provides support to America’s wounded servicemen and women. Jon is also the Treasurer and a Trustee of the Kenilworth Union Church.
- Structured and negotiated the purchase of four large mortgage loan origination, servicing and asset management platforms; including two purchases from bankrupt sellers.
- Structured and negotiated multiple mortgage loan securitization transactions and structured warehouse facilities issuing both public and private securities, including REMIC and non-REMIC structures for commercial and residential mortgage loans, home equity lines of credit, Fix and Flip Loans, home equity loans and nonperforming loans.
- Structured and negotiated multiple one-off and flow asset purchase arrangements for mortgage loans, mortgage servicing rights, auto loans, insurance policies, and consumer finance origination and servicing platforms, ranging in size up to $55 billion.
- Structured and negotiated multiple public auto loan and auto lease term securitization transactions, including transactions with asset-backed derivative instruments and financial guaranty insurance.
- During the credit crisis, led a consortium of independent mortgage servicers in a successful lobbying effort to obtain government support for servicing advance funding facilities.
- Prepared multiple Regulation AB-compliant shelf registration statements for auto receivables, mortgage loans and home equity loans, including registrations by foreign issuers.
- Structured and negotiated multiple repurchase agreements and securities lending agreements for ABS, MBS and mortgage loans.
- Negotiated asset-backed interest rate and currency swap transactions, including transactions conforming with criteria for ratings dependent swaps.
- Negotiated and documented multiple market value swaps for mortgage loan-backed and securities-backed funding vehicles.
- Negotiated credit derivatives for a large monoline insurance company.
- Structured and negotiated several cross-border mortgage-loan securitization transactions, including transactions issuing publicly registered asset-backed securities.
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, JD, cum laude, Staff Editor, The International Lawyer
Calvin College, BA
- New York