“Terence Tung has made a name for himself for his work with regulatory and compliance issues as well as liquidation procedures.”Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
Terence Tung is the senior partner of Mayer Brown in Hong Kong and leads the firm’s practice in Asia (excluding Japan). He has extensive experience and knowledge in cross-border litigation disputes and is particularly experienced in various aspects of contentious matters at the level of the People's Supreme Court, the People's Higher Court of various provinces and municipalities, and the People's Intermediate Courts of various municipalities in Mainland China and the High Court of Hong Kong.
His practice is not limited to the courts. He is also very experienced in liquidation and debt restructuring and led the Guangdong International Trade & Investment Corporation (GITIC) liquidation case, which was one of the largest and the first bankruptcy of a financial institution in China. As the Chinese government steps up its enforcement efforts, Terence has also been involved in counselling foreign companies to conduct internal investigations and assisting in investigations initiated by Chinese authorities. He has also diversified his practice to cover regulatory and compliance issues.
Terence is a member of the Mayer Brown Pro Bono committee. He has been awarded the silver award by the Law Society of Hong Kong Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Programme in 2015.
Terence is also a China-Appointed Attesting Officer (appointed by the Ministry of Justice of PRC) and an arbitrator for the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC). He speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Shanghainese.
- Represents foreign companies and mainland Chinese enterprises in arbitration and litigation cases involving commercial, contractual and banking disputes conducted in the mainland and Hong Kong.
- Acts for various companies in liquidation to realise their assets and recover debts due to them.
- Acts for the liquidation committees of Guangdong International Trust & Investment Corporation (GITIC) and its related companies in the liquidation process involving 569 proofs with an aggregate amount of RMB 38.777 billion.
- Counsels foreign companies to conduct internal investigations and assist in investigations initiated by public security authorities, customs authorities, administration of industry and commerce authorities, tax authorities etc.
- Counsels foreign companies in regulatory and compliance matters relating to cosmetics, food packaging and food safety, medical devices, financial information services etc.
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Local Disputes Star (China) - Arbitration, General Commercial, Restructuring & Insolvency – Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
- Leading Labour & Employment Lawyer - Asialaw Leading Lawyer (2009)
- Leading AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Lawyer in China - Asia Law & Practice Survey (2009)
- Leading AsiaLaw Labour & Employment Lawyer - Asia Law & Practice Survey (2008)