“... specialises in dispute resolution and tax issues. Clients laud the clarity of his advice and his attentive and responsive working manner.”Chambers Latin America, 2014
Eduardo Maccari Telles is a partner in the Rio de Janeiro office of Tauil & Chequer Advogados. Eduardo concentrates his practice in trial, litigation and arbitration, tax and administrative law. He represents national and foreign companies as well as governmental institutions, and he assists them in all types of dispute resolution for tax, civil, labor, intellectual property and environmental cases as well with tax and labor consulting. Eduardo has experience in energy and insurance litigation as well, being responsible for coordinating the firm’s Brazil litigation practice.
Since 2000 he has also served as a state attorney in the Attorney's Office of the State of Rio de Janeiro. His other professional assignments have included work as a tax attorney with the National Institute of Social Security (1998-2000), as a legal counselor with Rangel, Penna da Rocha & Daiha Associated Attorneys (2000-2006), as external counsel for the Brazilian Institute of Municipal Administration (2000-2004) and as Treasury representative on the Taxpayer Council of the State of Rio de Janeiro (2004).
- Advised an engineering consortium in an administrative pleading to re-establish the economic balance of an administrative contract entered into by the consortium with a federal public administration entity.
- Advised an independent oil & gas company in an arbitration against a government entity to discuss oil and gas concession contracts rights.
- Participated in the tax, administrative and regulatory organization of a consortium to explore and produce natural gas.
- Advises oil and gas service companies in multiple tax, civil, labor , environmental and intellectual property specialized litigation.
- Advised an oil and gas company in an international arbitration regarding joint operating agreement provisions that concern Brazilian law.
- Advised an oil and gas company in the tax planning of a consortium project to produce chemical products, with an investment worth $1.5 billion.
- Advised international oil companies and energy service companies in tax consulting, compliance, and controversies related to their Brazilian operations and transactions.
- Advised several US companies with their business in Brazil and Latin America.
- Advises a multi-billion dollar Brazilian pension fund in tax issues, and represents this fund before Brazilian civil and tax courts.
Universidade Candido Mendes, Master of Law in Tax
Federal University (UFRJ) Rio de Janeiro, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
State University of Rio de Janeiro - UERJ, Bachelor’s degree in Journalism
- Tax Law professor, Post-Graduate Programs,Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV)
- Tax Law professor, Post-Graduate Programs, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFF)
- Tax Law professor , Post-Graduate Programs, Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio)
- Tax Law professor , Post-Graduate Programs, Cândido Mendes University (UCAM)
- Tax Law professor, Judge´s School of State Court of Rio de Janeiro (EMERJ)
- Ranked as “Recommended in Tax: Advisory” at Leaders League, ed. 2023
- Ranked as “Recommended in Tax: Litigation” at Leaders League, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
- Ranked as “Recommended in Tax: Advisory” at The Legal 500, ed. 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
- “Dispute resolution expert Eduardo Maccari Telles is instrumental in leading trademark nullity suits for major companies, especially in the food and beverage industry. Equally confident in other areas of interest to corporate patrons, Telles puts a commercial sensibility at the forefront of all his dealings.” World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000, 2023
- Ranked as “Highly Regarded - Tax Controversy Leader” at World Tax Review (ITR), 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Ranked as a key partner at The Legal 500, 2018
- “... specialises in dispute resolution and tax issues. Clients laud the clarity of his advice and his attentive and responsive working manner.” Chambers Latin America, 2014
- “...active in trade mark disputes, anti-counterfeiting matters, and technology transfer and technology services agreements.” The Legal 500, 2015