Jeffrey Taft is a partner in the Firm's Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement group and the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy practice. His practice focuses primarily on bank regulation, bank receivership and insolvency issues, payment systems, consumer financial services and cybersecurity/privacy issues. He has extensive experience counseling financial institutions, merchants, technology companies and other entities on various federal and state banking and consumer credit issues, including compliance with the Bank Holding Company Act, National Bank Act, International Banking Act, Consumer Financial Protection Act, Truth-in-Lending Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Electronic Fund Transfer Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, state unfair or deceptive acts or practices statutes, CFPB's UDAAP authority and the development and implementation of privacy, cybersecurity and information security programs under the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, the NYDFS cybersecurity regulation and industry standards, such as PCI DSS and NIST.
Jeff regularly represents banks, finance companies, trust companies and other financial service providers on regulatory matters, including the development and operation of multi-state fiduciary, deposit and lending programs. He has also advised banks, merchants, technology companies and financial services companies on issues relating to credit cards, debit cards, gift cards, virtual currency, wire transfers and ACH transactions and other mobile payment products.
- Advised various banks and finance companies regarding regulation, supervision and examination of consumer financial services activities by the CFPB and state and federal banking agencies.
- Advised clients regarding bank insolvency issues, the Dodd-Frank Act’s Orderly Liquidation Authority and resolution planning.
- Advised numerous companies in connection with data security breaches involving credit card, customer and employee information and their security breach response plans and procedures.
- Advised investment funds and other secondary market purchasers on federal, state and local consumer lending laws, licensing requirements and assignee liability arising from the purchase of consumer loans.
- Advised several financial services companies with their responses to civil investigative demands (CIDs) from CFPB.
Harvard Law School, LLM
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD, cum laude
Tulane University, BA
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Governing Committee Member, Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Fellow, American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section, Cyberspace Law, Banking Law and Consumer Financial Services subcommittees
- New York State Bar Association: Business Law Section