Peter Simmons is an associate in Mayer Brown's California Real Estate practice. He is a detail-oriented and dynamic attorney who focuses on structuring and negotiating sophisticated and comprehensive transactional real estate and corporate matters. Peter has significant experience collaborating with investors, developers, real estate private equity funds, lenders, and companies in a broad spectrum of complex commercial real estate transactions—counseling clients from the inception of their projects to their completion and stabilization. In so doing, he assists clients across a range of industries in connection with the acquisition, disposition, financing, leasing, design and construction of retail, office, multi-family, and mixed-use properties. Peter has also worked with public and private companies in a variety of securities and corporate transactions, including venture and growth capital investments, debt and equity financings, securities offerings, and mergers and acquisitions. At the intersection and emphasis of his current role, Peter has developed a prowess for helping equity investors and developers in connection with the negotiation and funding of real estate joint ventures and, in particular, the formation and operation of real estate investment trusts (REITs).
- Represented an affiliate of a life insurance company on the $187 million disposition of a REIT-compliant limited liability company structure owning a Class-A office complex in Walnut Creek, California.
- Represented a global asset management firm in the separate dispositions of two luxury, multi-family apartment communities in Portland, Oregon for approximately $181 million.
- Represented an affiliate of a life insurance company on the $167 million acquisition of a REIT-compliant limited liability company structure owning a recently constructed Class-A office building in Denver, Colorado.
- Represented a global asset management firm in connection with the acquisition of land and entitlements, formation of joint ventures and construction financing of several ground-up multi-family rental assets in the Pacific Northwest.
- Represented a major national hotel developer and operator in connection with its $280 million refinancing of a 7-property, multi-state portfolio.
- Represented a private investment firm in the in connection with the acquisition, formation of joint ventures and financing of several self-storage facilities in the Pacific Northwest.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA, with distinction
Honors in Public Policy; Dean’s List
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, JD, with high honors
First Amendment Law Review; Dean's List
- Bay Area Mortgage Association