Michael Serafini concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate counseling and representation. He represents purchasers and sellers in connection with stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, joint ventures, minority equity investments and similar transactions. Leveraging his experience as an active M&A practitioner, he is also a co-leader of Mayer Brown’s transactional liability insurance practice, with significant experience representing underwriters in issuing representation and warranty insurance. Michael also represents a variety of clients in connection with complex public-private partnerships in the infrastructure sector. His experience spans a number of industries, including financial services, manufacturing, aerospace, food, real estate and affordable housing.
Michael joined Mayer Brown in 2005, leaving the firm in 2011. He returned to Mayer Brown in 2016.
- Represented the consortium of Abertis Infraestructuas and John Hancock in their acquisition of Elizabeth River Crossings, a long-term toll highway and tunnel concession in Virginia.
- Represented Plateplus Inc. in several complex divestitures.
- Represented an Illinois renewable energy company in connection with several complex corporate matters.
- Represented Waterfall Asset Management in connection with several complex transactions and investments.
- Represented MFA Financial, Inc. in connection with several of its preferred and minority common equity investments.
- Represented Austalia-based Queensland Investment Corporation on a long-term parking and mobility concession at Northeastern University, a private university in Boston, Massachusetts, and with respect to other corporate matters.
- Represented Packaging Corporation of America in several complex acquisitions and other corporate matters.
- Represented Carrington Capital Management in numerous strategic acquisitions and divestitures, including as a stalking horse bidder in its acquisition of the mortgage loan servicing business of New Century Financial Corporation.
- Represented Metal One in its acquisition of Cargill’s US metals business.
- Represented The Public Sector Pension Investment Board in connection with its equity investment in Aerostar Airport Holdings LLC, which is the operator of the Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Represented Carlyle Infrastructure Partners in the divestiture of a portfolio company.
- Represented the City of Chicago on the proposed long-term concession of Chicago Midway International Airport.
- Represented Ocwen Financial in its acquisition of the HomEq mortgage servicing business from Barclays.
- Represented a Cargill affiliate in a strategic equity investment in an Argentine company.
- Represented Caterpillar, Inc. in its acquisition of Bucyrus International, Inc.
University of Dayton, BS
University of Michigan Law School, JD