Seow Ling Ern (Ling) is an Associate in the Global Energy and Projects & Infrastructure groups in Mayer Brown’s Singapore office. She has diverse experience in construction, projects and infrastructure, energy and resources, locally and in other parts of Asia.
Ling has provided legal support to government agencies and statutory boards in preparing government tenders and advising on contract structuring for procurement of various construction and infrastructure works in Singapore. She has acted on behalf of employers, contractors, and service providers in drafting and reviewing bespoke conditions and supplemental agreements based on construction standard forms, and advising and conducting due diligence on various project documents (e.g. SPAs, EPC, O&M contracts, supply agreements, services agreements, and concession agreements) for major projects and power plant acquisitions in Singapore.
Ling previously had the opportunity to be seconded to EDPR Sunseap’s Singapore office to advise on its solar power purchase agreements with its major customers. She has experience drafting onsite and virtual solar power purchase agreements (PPAs), advising on energy regulations and licensing regimes in Singapore, and drafting and reviewing gas (LNG/PNG) supply agreements. She has acted on behalf of bidders, importers, developers, suppliers, purchasers and government agencies for various energy projects, including projects for imports of renewable energy into Singapore and major rooftop solar developments in Asia.
Projects & Infrastructure
- Advised a Chinese EPC contractor on the drafting and negotiation of an EPC Contract for the development of its battery energy storage system (BESS) project on Jurong Island and advising on contract administration issues such as force majeure and extension of time claims.
- Advised a power plant owner on the completion of its major sale of plant assets (Hyflux’s Tuaspring power station) for S$270 million cash.
- Advised an internationally operating German service provider in the novation and transfer of ICT services relating to Singapore Sports Hub following the termination of its former concession arrangement.
- Advised a leading Japanese multinational industrial corporation in the completion of its acquisition of Hyflux shares in the TuasOne Waste-to-Energy facility. Role included drafting and reviewing the project agreements and other related documents.
- Advised a global leader of rubber products supplies in the drafting of onshore and offshore contracts for its US$350 million investment in the engineering, procurement and construction of the world’s largest polyisoprene latex plant in Singapore. Legal support included drafting other ancillary agreements such as consultancy contracts, utilities services agreements and other sales and supply agreements.
- Advised a government transportation agency on the issuance of tenders for the building of new mass rapid transit (MRT) lines and electric vehicle charging points across Singapore.
- Advised a Singaporean infrastructure conglomerate on the completion of its acquisition of the SingSpring Desalination Plant for S$12 million. Role included drafting and reviewing the project documents and other relevant documents for completion.
- Advised a government investment corporation in the drafting of bespoke particular conditions to its main construction contracts based on the SIA Building Contract 2016 standard form.
- Advised an American multinational technology conglomerate in its template construction contracts with major contractors for the construction of data centres across Asia.
- Advised an American multinational investment management and financial services company in reviewing construction contracts and purchase orders with its vendors based on the FIDIC standard forms.
- Advised a major local healthcare provider in the reviewing of tender procurement documents for major and minor construction works in Singapore.
- Advised a real estate investor in its partnership with a leading utilities group in the Asia Pacific to install rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems across six of its industrial, logistics and warehouse properties in Singapore.
- Advised a consortium bidder in its bid submission for Energy Market Authority of Singapore’s first Request for Proposal (RFP1) for the import of up to 1.2 GW of renewable energy into Singapore by 2027.
- Advised a solar energy developer in its partnership with a Japanese energy investor to invest in and develop major rooftop solar development projects across Asia.
- Advised a leading clean energy solutions provider in Singapore in the drafting and reviewing of power purchase agreements for use as its standard template for its customers.
- Advised a leading data centre services provider in drafting virtual power purchase agreements for purchase of renewable energy from renewable energy importers.
- Advised a major cloud computing company on regulations to import, store, and trade green ammonia and hydrogen in Singapore.
- Advised a leading gas services supplier in Singapore in the drafting, amendment and finalisation of master gas sales agreement templates for LNG and PNG deliveries in Singapore.
Singapore Management University, LLB
Magna Cum Laude
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law (2022-2023)