Chambers Brazil 2023
“Partner Juliana Pizzolato Furtado Senna is recognized in the maritime transport market for her experience advising clients on financing mandates and regulatory issues before the National Waterway Transport Agency (ANTAQ)”
"Juliana Pizzolato Furtado Senna frequently deals with regulatory matters for clients in the sector, in addition to advising on contractual issues.”
Juliana Senna is a partner in the Shipping practice at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in assocation with Mayer Brown, in the Rio de Janeiro office. In addition to Maritime Law, Juliana has solid experience in Oil and Gas, Infrastructure, Energy, Corporate Law, Regulatory Law and Contracts. Juliana has over 20 years’ experience working in law firms focused on Shipping and has specializations in Maritime Law, Commercial Law and Petroleum Law.
She stands out in the market for her expertise advising clients on contractual and regulatory issues, and has been highlighted – since 2015 – by several international publications, including Chambers and Partners in Shipping and Oil & Gas as well as in Best Lawyers.
Juliana is a member of several professional associations, such as the International Bar Association (IBA), the Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA Brasil); the Oil and Gas Regulation Committee of Fundação Getúlio Vargas - FGV/RJ; the Oil, Natural Gas and Biogas Commission of the OAB/RJ; and the OAB/RJ Infrastructure and Economic Development Commission.
- Advised several clients in sale and purchase of Brazilian and foreign vessels operating in Brazil, including in relation to customs and flag procedures
- Advised several clients in licensing and negotiation of agreements with port for development of private LNG terminal
- Advised several clients in reporting of irregular activities before ANTAQ
- Advised several clients in Administrative licensing procedures before ANTAQ and ANP
- Advised several clients in relation to punitive procedures before ANTAQ and ANP
- Advised several clients in the establishment of partnership agreements for the optimization of tonnage
- Advised several clients (FPSO, Offshore support, UMS operators) in bid analysis, disqualification appeals and recourses, as well as commercial and contractual pre-litigation disputes with PETROBRAS.
- Advised several clients in drafting and negotiating Charter and Services Agreements related to FSRU Projects, as well as other vessels and units
- Analysis and negotiation of transport Agreements and establishment of workshop for the trading department of a Brazilian fuel distributor
- Memorandum and assistance in obtaining license for STS projects and export crude oil transport agreements
- Advised in drafting of regulatory and licensing map for decommissioning of FPSO in Brazil. Assistance related to investigation of possible locations for decommissioning and export procedures. Analysis of contractual implications related to delayed decommissioning considering the contract of owner with field operator.
- Advised in Drafting and negotiation of charter and operation services agreements for FSRU operations. Assistance with development to licenses plan. Assistance in reviewing all the project`s related contracts (EPC for power plant, LNG SPA, real state, etc). Legal memo on types of structure available for development of port structure in public ports.
- Advised several clients in establishing guarantee structures and strategies for foreclosure on behalf of foreign creditors
- Assistance related to licensing, regulatory framework and contract negotiations related to the implementation of the LNG Terminal
- Advised in regulatory and contractual ongoing assistance to Private Terminal in Brazil
- Advised in regulatory and contractual ongoing assistance to Brazilian Shipping Company
- Advised in obtaining transfer of licenses before ANTAQ and ANP related to private terminal in Brazil acquired by Client due to PETROBRAS divestment
- Assistance in structuring a trading department in house client, with provision of workshop in transport agreements for oil derivatives. Follow up assistance
- Legal memorandum on issuance of bill of ladings for oil major
- Assistance in transference of all licenses of a private terminal in Brazil (including ANTAQ, ANP and Federal Revenue)
- Legal assistance in review of port use agreement, LNG SPA and other documents on behalf of a shareholder in an LNG terminal
- Advising in regulatory framework applicable to establishment of a private LNG terminal and review of STS agreements
- Advised several clients in obtaining REIDI benefits for terminals and pipeline projects (applications through ANP and ANTAQ)
- Full legal assistance to client in offshore support in all matters related to corporate work, regulatory, financing, and contractual. Contractual assistance involved review of contracts of main operators (PETROBRAS, EQUINOR, SHELL, etc)
- Advised in planning and implementing corporate restructure as well as debt restructuring including negotiations with BNDES.
- Advised in negotiation and drafting of guarantee package for debtor in possession financing agreement.
CEPED (Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro – UERJ), Post Graduate in Commercial Law, 2005
Clube do Petróleo, Post Graduate in Petroleum Law, 2007
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV – Rio), Post Graduate in Maritime Law, 2008
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RIO), Bachelor of Law (JD Evquivalent), 2004
- Member of the Oil and Gas Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association – Rio de Janeiro (OAB/RJ), since 2021
- Member of the Infrastructure Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association – Rio de Janeiro (OAB/RJ), 2022
- Associate Member of AIEN – Association for International Energy Negotiators, 2023
- Associate Member of Wista – Women in Shipping and Transport Association, founding associate since 2019
- SOBENA – Participation in decommissioning and recycling, since 2019
- Member of International Bar Association (IBA), since 2018
- Member of Oil and Gas Regulation Committee of the Regulation in Numbers project of Escola de Direito do Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro’s Law School) – FGV Direito Rio, since 2023
- Ranked as “Band 4” in Shipping - Chambers Brazil, 2015-2023
- Ranked as “Up & Coming” in Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas - Chambers Brazil 2022-2023