Admitted to practice at the Buenos Aires, Madrid and Paris bars, Emiliano Represa is an associate in the International Arbitration practice of the Paris office.
Emiliano regularly represents clients in international arbitrations arising from different economic sectors and industries, namely in the construction and engineering, renewable energy, mining, hospitality, and agricultural sectors. He acted as counsel for private companies, States and State entities in over a dozen international arbitrations. Emiliano also acted advising investors on structuring their investment treaty protections as well as in pre-litigation negotiations. He also acts as administrative secretary to arbitral tribunals.
After graduating from the Geneva LLM Masters on International Dispute Settlement (MIDS), Emiliano wrote a thesis on denial of justice in administrative proceedings supervised by Professor Zachary Douglas KC.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Emiliano worked as an associate in a Buenos Aires boutique international firm focusing on investment arbitration.
In addition to his native Spanish, Emiliano is fluent in English and French.
- Representing two consortia acting as EPC contractors in respect of disputes arising out of the construction of two CSP (thermal solar) power plants, in Africa, one in Morocco and one in South Africa, against the owners of the plants. The plant in Morocco is part of the world’s largest CSP complex.
- Representing a French CAC40 company in an ICC dispute against a European State agency, arising out of the construction and operation of the district heating system of various municipalities from said State.
- Representing a consortium of a French and a Brazilian company in an ICC arbitration against a State-owned company concerning the construction and operation of a water treatment plant in Lima (Peru).
- Representing a Spanish construction company, successfully rejecting a claim brought by a French company and achieving a favourable award in counterclaims for more than 2 million EUR in an ICC arbitration related to an oil refinery in France (Spanish and French law – proceedings in Spanish).
- Representing an investor on an investment dispute related to a gold and mine project in Ecuador, claiming breaches of the Peru-China BIT.
- Representing a Canadian investor successfully achieving a 40 + million USD compensation award, in a NAFTA treaty arbitration in LMC v. United Mexican States (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/15/2).
- Representing Venezuela on an investment arbitration proceeding initiated by a British investor on a dispute related to investments in the agriculture and livestock sector (ICSID Case No. ARB /06/4).
- Representing Venezuela on an investment arbitration proceeding initiated by a Barbados investor on a dispute related to investments in the automotive sector (Caso CIADI No ARB /12/24).
- Representing Venezuela on an investment arbitration proceeding initiated by a Barbados investor on a dispute related to investments in the hospitality and tourism sector (ICSID Case No ARB /12/20).
- Representing Venezuela on an investment arbitration proceeding initiated by a US investor on a dispute related to investments in the glass manufacture sector (ICSID Case No. ARB /12/21).
- Acting as the secretary of the arbitral tribunal in a dispute arising out of the execution of a contract for the execution of civil engineering works in a paper mill in Spain (Spanish law - proceedings in Spanish).
Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Law Degree, LLM Geneva Master in International Dispute Settlement
- Buenos Aires
- Visiting lecturer at LLM in Transnational Arbitration & Dispute Settlement, a Science Po School of Law Program.