Kevin Ranlett is a partner in the firm’s Supreme Court & Appellate and Consumer Litigation & Class Actions practices. He defends businesses in complex class and representative actions in state and federal courts across the country and before the American Arbitration Association. His clients are national and multinational corporations in a variety of industries, including financial services, telecommunications, insurance, and Internet and technology sectors. He has successful resolved a wide variety of claims, including allegations of false or deceptive advertising and alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, federal securities laws, the Alien Tort Claims Act, and various consumer-protection and unfair-trade and deceptive-practices acts.
Kevin’s practice extends beyond representing parties in litigation. He also advises businesses in drafting and enforcing arbitration agreements and in establishing fair and effective dispute-resolution programs with consumers and employees. And he assists businesses with compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and other consumer-protection laws.
Kevin is a co-editor of Class Defense, the firm’s blog on key issues affecting class action law and policy. He also has served as a Professorial Lecturer in Law at The George Washington University Law School, where he teaches advanced appellate advocacy.
Before joining Mayer Brown in 2005, Kevin clerked for Judge Richard A. Posner of the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
The University of Chicago Law School, JD, with high honorsOrder of the CoifArticles Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
The University of Texas at Austin, BA, with honors
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Western District of Texas